Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 24, 2014, 11:18:30 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 4456 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Superstitions
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »

Well for goodness sake...... Somebody cover him up, nobody wants to see that!!! :o :o ::) ::)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2012, 06:04:50 PM »

I am such a bad person. That man has been unfailingly lovely to me for so many years...and all I do is mock, mock, mock.

btw: I have an excuse - it's a personality disorder with me - but you two guys ought to be ashamed!!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:07:51 PM by Scorched Eartha »
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »

Ashamed , us don't think so .  All it is is a bunch of lad having some friend back stabbing ;D . Nice gams by the way SE.
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »

I don't remember where I learned this, but I've always believed that knocking on wood originated from knocking on trees after making a seemingly boastful statement, in a way of asking a trickster god who dwelled in the trees to not punish the person for the statement. For example, if someone said in a conversation, "I've never broken a bone in my body.", they would knock on wood (tree) so the trickster would not cause them to break a bone for being boastful. That's what I've always thought anyway.
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »

I'm sure you can find a different meaning in just about any country you go to. In Ireland it was a way to say thank you to the Fair Folk for be kind to you or for bring you good fortune. I've heard where it was done to let the spirit know you were sleeping there at night so if they came out YOU would not frighten them .

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »

My grandfather was a cabinet maker. He said you knock on wood to see if fine wood dust falls out of any parts of it. If it does there is clearly woodworm activity present...either been and gone or still there.

Bloody bad luck to buy timber or furniture that's full of woodworm, innit?
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2012, 09:52:52 PM »

Signaling to Bigfoot .

Just Dave

• Fir
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »

Don't know if this counts as a superstition or a tradition: My wife is from the Philippines and this is one of her things.  Every New Year's Eve, right after midnight, we stand outside our front door and toss handfuls of coins into the house.  Then we walk through the house tossing a few coins into each room.  It's supposed to bring prosperity to the home.  I guess it works, somewhat - we're not rich but then we're not poor, either.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »

Oh dave';s story reminded me: Drac might know of this one and be able to tell us more of it.

Scots people, when a baby boy is born (just a boy btw) have a tradition of coming to see the child and hiding a silver coin in his bassinet. It is meant to ensure him a life of plenty. My mum had scads of Scots friends as she was in a Highland Dance troupe, and  they all did it.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »

Oh dave';s story reminded me: Drac might know of this one and be able to tell us more of it.

Scots people, when a baby boy is born (just a boy btw) have a tradition of coming to see the child and hiding a silver coin in his bassinet. It is meant to ensure him a life of plenty. My mum had scads of Scots friends as she was in a Highland Dance troupe, and  they all did it.

This is true. Basinet or pram. and now adays its done for both sexes. Don't think its done so much now, its a tradition thats starting to disappear into the mists of time. Had a couple folks (we didn't know) drop silver into our daughters pram in the street, popped into the chemist and when we got back out some skanky Ba***rd had dipped in and pinched it all.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »

Just Dave

• Fir
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »

Gotta love Groucho.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »

I read somewhere that if you put a dime i your left shoe on New Year's Day, you'll have money all year. I put a dime in both just to be sure. ;)
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2012, 01:04:05 PM »

I read somewhere that if you put a dime i your left shoe on New Year's Day, you'll have money all year. I put a dime in both just to be sure. ;)

Going to have to try that one this year. My family has a traditional New Years dinner also. Greens for money. Black eye peas for luck. I don't remember the rest lol. I don't cook it I just eat it.
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2012, 01:28:43 PM »

Doing doubles AA cancels the good one out .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up