Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 24, 2014, 11:46:06 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 4450 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Superstitions
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »

I read somewhere that if you put a dime i your left shoe on New Year's Day, you'll have money all year. I put a dime in both just to be sure. ;)

Actually, I believe that if you put a coin in your left shoe on new years day, You'll have a blister the next day. ;D ;D ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 02:08:50 PM »

An old lucky tradition was to cook a clootie dumpling with tanners in it.

And translated that would be:
Clootie dumpling = a Scottish pudding of flour, sultanas, suet, oatmeal, ginger and cinnamon.
Clootie = cloth
Tanner = a sixpence piece (no longer legal tender) before we went to decimal currency.

Think I'll post the recipe for this.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »

Gee dude , learn to write American so people can understand what your saying............what the hell is a Sultanas any way . suet must be real healthy . :o
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »

I suppose you would call them raisins, because basically thats what they are, only subtely different.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

Sorry, also meant to mention suet; Suet is raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »

It may be a Southern thing, but we also ALWAYS have "hoppin' John" on New Years Day. White rice with black-eye peas served o top. Meant for good luck throughout the year.
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 04:31:03 AM »

That sounds interesting Aly, does anything else go into that? what does it go with?

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:02 AM »

You cook some ham or bacon with the peas, but nothing else. You can eat it with ham and cornbread, or treat it like a Thanksgiving feast-type thing. Usually we use ham left over from Christmas dinner.
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 08:44:12 AM »

Sounds quite versatile, Always good to have a few recipes on hand for using up the left overs. This has turned into a "throw away" society and we've forgotten how to reuse.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 04:31:41 PM »

My Granddad always cooked the Christmas pudding and put a sixepence in it...long long after decimal currency came in and we had 5 cents rather than sixpenny pieces he kept a jar of them just for that purpose. The person who got the sixpence was said to have good luck all year.
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »

My Granddad always cooked the Christmas pudding and put a sixepence in it...long long after decimal currency came in and we had 5 cents rather than sixpenny pieces he kept a jar of them just for that purpose. The person who got the sixpence was said to have good luck all year.

Bingo!!  :D

Actually over here, the sixpence piece hung on for quite a long time; with decimalisation its worth became two and a half new pence. So two tanners was five pence (5p). I still have a handfull of them in this house somewhere....LoL ::)

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »

One of the few superstitions I adhere to is splitting a pole. If I am walking with someone and we walk by any type of pole or post, we have to pass on the same side. I have no clue on the origins of that superstition.
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »

I can offer nothing on that one, other than the fact that it forces a couple to seperate.

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »

One of the few superstitions I adhere to is splitting a pole. If I am walking with someone and we walk by any type of pole or post, we have to pass on the same side. I have no clue on the origins of that superstition.

I know from experience that it's sage advice should the two people be holding hands at the time.

Ouch!!
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 09:52:26 PM »

Lol. Nice, SE.  :-p
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up