Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 25, 2014, 12:43:40 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Superstitions  (Read 4460 times)

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
Re: Superstitions
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure the salt thing has its origins on Roman times and is not at all Christian.

Salt was a prized commodity in the ancient world as the only means available of preserving food. Roman soldiers in the Legions were paid in salt, as it made it ever so much more efficient than having to get hold of local currencies and they were able to trade it for many times the value of their real pay for goods, services and loose women (or tight ones, by preference I suppose). It was known as the "Salarium" and is where we get the word salary from.

If a Roman soldier spilled his salt it was a punishment or a fine that he had to fling a bit more over his shoulder and to look back at it - to remind him of not bein=g so careless in the future,.That it was flung over the left shoulder probably arises from the fact that most people are right handed and so will fling with their right over their left.

This "devil' business is bullshit. The church grafted that on top of an old pagan tradition to get the people more in line with....oh you know the story there.
lol

btw I will not have an open umbrella in the house and new shoes cannot go on the table.

If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »

Know all about the Roman Stuff but it was the Church that made it more wide spread , never heard about new shoe on the table . Would perfer new shoe on the table then  ;D old ones :o .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 10:03:22 PM »

I don't open umbrellas inside, and I don't walk under ladders.
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 11:17:00 PM »

I'm superstitious about superstitions. If you believe in them hard enough...they come true.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 02:27:11 AM »

All I know is that I have to get some bread , lakes open up this Friday and there nothing like bacon wrapped trout for breakfest .

Superstitious about superstition , sound reasonable .

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »

I don't open umbrellas inside, and I don't walk under ladders.

I do both.  :-p
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:28 PM »

I do do the knock on wood thing.  I use my head.....
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »

I do do the knock on wood thing.  I use my head.....

I thought I was the only knothead that did that... no wonder we get along so well... ;)
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »

Some of it I think is habit, more than anything else.

I throw salt and knock wood, as well.  These are two things I saw all the time, growing up, so I do them as well...almost reflexively.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 11:18:49 PM »

It would be nice to find out truly how superstitions came about not just speculation and what the reasoning was in the first place.

naturalpaganmomma

• Holly
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 11:17:34 AM »

I do the salt over the shoulder thing too. Also, my mom had a thing about rocking an empty rocking chair. It upset mom more than drawing on furniture, getting into her belongings, etc. We learned at an early to leave the rocking chair alone unless we were going to sit in it and rock. I'm not kidding either. She was serious. Groundings were delivered.  :o

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »

That's not so strange NPM , older people on the East coast will not go near a house if a rocking chair is moving on the porch. One of the unseen ones is rocking in it . Spooky  :o

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »

I have a book around here somewhere , might look for it.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

naturalpaganmomma

• Holly
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

Oldghost,
It was something the Great-great-grandparents brought with them from Holland. Supposedly if you rocked an empty rocking chair it invited bad things, evil, the devil, etc. etc. etc. into your home. Just think really bad and substitute. I didn't know that there were similar superstitions on the East coast.

Marisol,
If you do decide to check, let us know if you find anything interesting. I think that would be really cool.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »

It's something I heard from my grandmother about chairs that could only keep on rocking if someone was sitting in it . Just like you never walk on the same side of the street that a cemetery was on , my great grandmama used to leave food outside on the dark of the moon so nothing would try to get in and eat us.

Coming from a seaside town there was also the superstition about standing in front of the light of a lighthouse bringing about the doom of any ship the light shone on. The old tales are just so neat. ( yeah I said neat ) .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up