Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 07, 2016, 01:36:09 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Make Offerings?  (Read 303 times)

Nymree

• Elm
Why Make Offerings?
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:52:25 AM »

Hi all, I hope you're having a good day?

So this is something that has been on my mind a lot recently. Although I have a good idea why one might make offerings, I've been finding lately that doing regular formal(ish) offerings has been making what should be a sacred act feel like a chore. I try to make an offering to the God and the Goddess every week, and an offering to the spirits at the change of the month, but I feel as if this has become something empty of meaning because I've made it something I have to do, not something i genuinely want to. That's not to say I'm not grateful to my gods, or want to show my gratitude, but this way of going about it seems to have removed something sacred since it requires preparation and seems to create tension for me. At the same time, I don't want to seem disrespectful by just dropping an offering off in the woods without ritual, because I'm really unsure about what is and isn't respectful (I use this word lightly, though, because I know how vague it is and how what is good for one being may not be for another).

With this is mind, I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place, and from a pantheistic perspective, why everything that is selfless and good that we do in the world cannot be considered an offering to the One divine?

I hope to cause no offence, and ask these questions in honesty and earnest, so I hope I don't come across as rude or disrespectful. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!

Blessed Be :)

Update: It should be noted that by "dropping an offering off in the woods" I mean making an more informal offering in a public area - as tourists and even locals sometimes come to visit the nearby woodlands, I would be unable to stop for long or make larger offerings unless I found a secluded or quieter area to do so. While not much would change, in theory, there would be the need to consider other people using the area. Additionally, although I have a more informal relationship with deity (or have been encourage to, according to perceived messages through self-performed tarot readings) I'm unsure about informal worship and offerings as I am fairly new to my path.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 05:26:22 AM by Nymree »

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Why Make Offerings?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 07:59:30 AM »

One , you do not have to give an offering when you do you ritual one what ever diety you call upon has no need for what you give , it is more a show of common courtesy then anything else . What you leave behind is more a gift for the wildlife that live there . This shows your diety that you care for your deities other children . Walking along a trail and just saying thanks for where you are and scattering some bread crumb's is all you need do .

While it is good to be able to go into the woods and make your offering you can just as easy do it at home .Not all people have the ability or live near a place where they can. With all the demands on one's time nowadays one has to do things differently then in the good olde days.

A friend of mine because of her kids and job has only the time she is in the bath to herself so that is where she does her rituals . Simple things you can do can have as much meaning as a full ritual . It all comes down to what intent you put into it .

It all comes down to showing how much you care.

P.s. you don't have to post in the newbie section . This should have gone in talking stick but no big deal . Asking shows you want to learn.👌
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 05:46:24 PM »

As rightly suggested, I have moved this thread. Feel free to carry on now  :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 05:51:34 PM »

It's sad you feel your offerings have become a chore now, as OG says though, there's no need to make a ritual of it. Carry some seeds or nuts in your pocket, and just drop some where birds or other wildlife hang. Even pouring some water at the base of a tree is an offering and they are all acceptable in the eyes of your Deity. Even a bag of Cheetos for the Crows is good....LoL
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »

Hi all, I hope you're having a good day?

So this is something that has been on my mind a lot recently. Although I have a good idea why one might make offerings, I've been finding lately that doing regular formal(ish) offerings has been making what should be a sacred act feel like a chore. I try to make an offering to the God and the Goddess every week, and an offering to the spirits at the change of the month, but I feel as if this has become something empty of meaning because I've made it something I have to do, not something i genuinely want to. That's not to say I'm not grateful to my gods, or want to show my gratitude, but this way of going about it seems to have removed something sacred since it requires preparation and seems to create tension for me. At the same time, I don't want to seem disrespectful by just dropping an offering off in the woods without ritual, because I'm really unsure about what is and isn't respectful (I use this word lightly, though, because I know how vague it is and how what is good for one being may not be for another).

With this is mind, I have begun to wonder why we even make offerings in the first place, and from a pantheistic perspective, why everything that is selfless and good that we do in the world cannot be considered an offering to the One divine?

I hope to cause no offence, and ask these questions in honesty and earnest, so I hope I don't come across as rude or disrespectful. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated!

Blessed Be :)

Update: It should be noted that by "dropping an offering off in the woods" I mean making an more informal offering in a public area - as tourists and even locals sometimes come to visit the nearby woodlands, I would be unable to stop for long or make larger offerings unless I found a secluded or quieter area to do so. While not much would change, in theory, there would be the need to consider other people using the area. Additionally, although I have a more informal relationship with deity (or have been encourage to, according to perceived messages through self-performed tarot readings) I'm unsure about informal worship and offerings as I am fairly new to my path.
As I see it, there's nothing wrong with it being a chore.  That's the point It's an OFFERING.  Much of what we do takes effort, seems mundane, or gets boring.  Chop wood, carry water is very much a part of an earth based religion.

The concern to me if that you feel your offering is pointless.  If your offering doesn't feel appropriate or rings hollow, maybe you should rethink the nature of your offering. Maybe service to the community or recycling would seem like a better choice?  Only you can answer that one.  But your choice of offering should be made on the basis of whether it would be well received by your deity rather than it feeling arduous or like a chore.  There's a good reason many pagans and pantheists consider themselves "In Her Service".

I think you should listen to your intuition that something you're doing doesn't feel "right" for your deity.
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 04:25:25 AM »

Well said Ashe , while making and offering I know very few people who do it mainly on the file main Sabbat's. If you think of what you are doing as a chore then maybe you are on the wrong path ?.

If you have trouble doing things outside then just put some bread crumbs on your window sill or even a hummingbird feeder. You don't have to feed the wild animals in the woods , leave some tuna out for stray cats .Go hug a tree or you can leave a shinny stone at the base of a tree or bush . There are myriad things you can do . Tell the planet you love it , keep yourself healthy is also an offering .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »

You are so lucky to have woodlands to explore. Your offering may be to work with the plants and trees. Help growing things to flourish. Work in a garden, dig in the earth. Plant a tree. I love to raise plants. Even just to pull weeds is satisfying. There are many ways to make offerings.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Valerie

• Ash
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:20 AM »

Yoohoo, been a while  :D I offer the candle, it's heat or light ...I made elderberry syrup, the other week, one of us is bound to get a cold..and I left the unused berries and bits I couldn't use under or Rowan tree..I also collected Rowan berries from the woods froze them and put them out for the birds etc over the winter last year X
Ps hope your all doing ok x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x
Pages: [1]   Go Up