Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 01, 2014, 03:16:43 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Odd Argument  (Read 1161 times)

Alchymist

• Cypress
Re: An Odd Argument
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »

Damn ,Alchymist where have you been hiding it has to be over a years since you where last here , good to see you back .Have thing's been well with you ?. Going to visit more offend ?.

Been on a quest, you might say.

Do I offend? Well, it's hard to say anything without offending someone, be it only my elderly Aunt Ruth of Eyton-upon-the-Weald-Moors, Shropshire, England, who is decidedly Ruthless in her condemnation of almost everything...... but, yes, there are many evangelical Protestants around who declare that Catholics are not "true" Christians since they venerate images of the Virgin Mary, in direct contravention of the Commandment, "Thou shalt not make graven images...."

But, then, of course, there's "Honour the Sabbath day and keep it holy", and since the Sabbath is technically Saturday, none of them do that..... All a bunch of heretics, the lot of them....

Alchymist
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:35:14 PM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »

OG's keyboard often does not obey him Alchy,  ;D  Offend = often....LoL
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 05:02:44 PM »

Damn ,Alchymist where have you been hiding it has to be over a years since you where last here , good to see you back .Have thing's been well with you ?. Going to visit more offend ?.

Been on a quest, you might say.

Do I offend? Well, it's hard to say anything without offending someone, be it only my elderly Aunt Ruth of Eyton upon the Weald Moors, Shropshire, England, who is decidedly Ruthless in her condemnation of almost everything...... but, yes, there are many evangelical Protestants around who declare that Catholics are not "true" Christians since they venerate images of the Virgin Mary, in direct contravention of the Commandment, "Thou shalt not make graven images...."

But, then, of course, there's "Honour the Sabbath day and keep it holy", and since the Sabbath is technically Saturday, none of them do that..... All a bunch of heretics, the lot of them....

Alchymist

Great to see you back...

IMO, a Christian isn't defined by membership in any religion or church, unless they so choose; the only difference between Protestant churches and the Catholic church is that one was created for control, and the other was created at the convenience of a mad king, to avail himself of the opportunity to divorce his current wife and snag another who was hotter and younger. 

In some ways Protestants are even less credible to me... they took a book that was already flawed and then proceeded to reinterpret it and distribute it according to their own agendas, to make it "clearer" to the faithful... 

I'll never understand:

if a god that is timeless, nameless, non-gendered, and all powerful, what use would it have for human religious politics, and what need would it have for designated people to get it's point across?

What need of Biblical canon if all is written within the heart of the seeker?  There are many ways to express it.  The Hindus and American Indians see is as a point of universal connection of all things to each other.  In Abrahamic belief systems it's about being created in the image of G-d, with one universal point of connection: the soul.  I believe the soul/spirit is both the image of G-d and a point of universal connection. But that's just me.

Sorry for the derail...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
~Thomas Paine

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2014, 10:33:49 PM »

Ah. Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up. Though I can still offend if you want me to....

Firesong, in the interest of historical accuracy - much simplified; Protestantism began, more or less, with Martin Luther's "95 Theses" in 1517 as a protest against the "excesses" of Catholicism, such as the selling of "indulgencies"  - forgiveness of sins in exchange for cash. The Mad King, Henry VIII of England, broke with Catholicism with the Act of Supremacy of 1543 because the Pope wouldn't let him divorce his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, and marry his young hottie, Anne Boleyn. The 1543 Act established Henry as the Head of the Church of England, or Anglicanism, which actually has much in common with Catholicism including the Mass and the Eucharist - consumption of bread and wine representing the body and blood of Christ. It represents a sort of middle way between traditional Catholicism and all-out Protestantism. To this day, one of the titles of the British monarch is Defender of the Faith, or "Fidei Defensor"; the "faith", in this case, being Anglicanism.

Seems to me that this thread got derailed a long time ago. Are we all more or less agreed that Wicca is a religion and Witchcraft is, well, exactly what it says it is - a craft? And that some Wiccans practise Witchcraft but not all Witches are Wiccans? Right then.....

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

Ah. Well, I'm glad we got that cleared up. Though I can still offend if you want me to....

Firesong, in the interest of historical accuracy - much simplified; Protestantism began, more or less, with Martin Luther's "95 Theses" in 1517 as a protest against the "excesses" of Catholicism, such as the selling of "indulgencies"  - forgiveness of sins in exchange for cash. The Mad King, Henry VIII of England, broke with Catholicism with the Act of Supremacy of 1543 because the Pope wouldn't let him divorce his first wife, Catherine of Aragon, and marry his young hottie, Anne Boleyn. The 1543 Act established Henry as the Head of the Church of England, or Anglicanism, which actually has much in common with Catholicism including the Mass and the Eucharist - consumption of bread and wine representing the body and blood of Christ. It represents a sort of middle way between traditional Catholicism and all-out Protestantism. To this day, one of the titles of the British monarch is Defender of the Faith, or "Fidei Defensor"; the "faith", in this case, being Anglicanism.

Seems to me that this thread got derailed a long time ago. Are we all more or less agreed that Wicca is a religion and Witchcraft is, well, exactly what it says it is - a craft? And that some Wiccans practise Witchcraft but not all Witches are Wiccans? Right then.....

Alchymist.

Thanks Alchymist... I stand corrected.  Very nice explanation.
~Thomas Paine

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »

My bad dude often is what I wanted to say . Brain works faster then finger ?.
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »

... And that some Wiccans practise Witchcraft but not all Witches are Wiccans? Right then.....

All Wiccans practice witchcraft.  Not all witches are Wiccan.  Hell's bells...Not all Wiccans are wiccan.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »

... And that some Wiccans practise Witchcraft but not all Witches are Wiccans? Right then.....

All Wiccans practice witchcraft.  Not all witches are Wiccan.  Hell's bells...Not all Wiccans are wiccan.

Just as all Christians aren't Christians... lol.  Beautiful expression big bird!
~Thomas Paine

Fauna

• Rowan
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »

I'm so glad I'm reading all these old threads because it they do such a wonderful job of clarifying wicca/witchcraft/ religion..... NOT!!!!!  (but they are entertaining! LOLOLOL)
"I'm friends with the monster that's under my bed
Get along with the voices inside of my head"

Eminem

Bardon Keene

• Elm
  • Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2014, 08:52:21 PM »

LOL I thank you all for replying to this thread. So much rambling humor, and yet answers were fairly easy to gleam. Sorry to bump this thread, it's just that I have been away for quite some time. Thank you all again for your replies and humor XD
Seething deep down inside my inner powers they do hide. This secret in you I do confide. As we may now live side by side. So keep my secret, I'll keep yours, We will guard the The land, of Paradise shores

“Sometimes I think that wisdoms slip from my mind like drool from the lips of an idiot... Bu

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:57 AM »

I'm so glad I'm reading all these old threads because it they do such a wonderful job of clarifying wicca/witchcraft/ religion..... NOT!!!!!  (but they are entertaining! LOLOLOL)

What, exactly, would clarify issues for you besides needing to be entertained?  Many of these old threads have seriously valuable, (and valued), information in them...there for the reading.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up