Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 29, 2016, 03:23:19 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concepts of Deity and Ascension  (Read 146 times)

Nymree

• Elm
Concepts of Deity and Ascension
« on: September 02, 2016, 12:51:58 PM »

This is hypothetical, and based purely on the idea that gods are ascended beings/mortals. We're assuming here that human beings are capable of ascending to godhood, which is where the discussion could come in.

My thoughts are, if ascension to this higher state is possible, and that is what (at least some) gods are, why shouldn't we strive for godhood? I can understand that arrogance is destructive, but in consideration of the whole concept surely it would make sense to work towards and encourage aspirations for godhood, rather than shunning the idea that mortals can become gods?

Then, you also have the whole "mad with power", god-complex issue. And I suppose just trying could be enough to drive someone mad.
But I often see or hear of the idea of striving for godhood shunned and seen as arrogance, rather than as a legitimate spiritual aspiration. But, why? I'm more curious as to why this aspiration would be a bad thing, other than for the previously listed reasons.

I'm not looking to become a god(dess), of course. It's just more of a shower thought. And I'm sorry that this discussion does make a few leaps and assumptions, but working with those in mind; what makes aspirations to godhood necessarily bad?

Blessed Be,

- Nymree

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Re: Concepts of Deity and Ascension
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »

Many people say "Thou art God/dess" before cakes and ale so to some this could be redundant. Especially if you perceive the deities as archetypes or projections of our own human qualities.

Speaking as a Pagan, what I find problematic is the notion that the gods are somehow on a higher spiiritual plane. To me, Paganism is a celebration of earth and the gods are extensions of this.  They're on another plane, but not necessarily a "higher" one, .

This is a great topic, but to me it reflects a more eastern or even Christian POV than my vision of Paganism can handle. 

YMMV

One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
  • What you think about, you bring about!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 05:48:52 AM »

Speaking as a Pagan, what I find problematic is the notion that the gods are somehow on a higher spiiritual plane. To me, Paganism is a celebration of earth and the gods are extensions of this.  They're on another plane, but not necessarily a "higher" one.

I have to agree with you Ashe on this one. Being taught the Christian beliefs all my life. I have always been told God/ess are in the highest kingdom. Kingdom? Who said they are in a kingdom at all? What makes them more powerful them me? I agree, I don't remember everything I have been taught throughout all the lives I have had, but as I live so do I remember what I have already learned before. I believe I was and am a God/ess who has come to this game board to learn more lessons and help others learn theirs too. Upon learning these lessons, (or not), I will go back to the spirit world changed. Whether it is for good or to add the lessons I didn't learn here. These lessons are to be added the next life I am about to live. This is yet to be known. Still, I believe I am already a God/ess. Waiting for my game to be over so I can move on.

I hope this makes sense to others. The book Re-Member by Steve Rother helped me to understand as well as it cleared up a ton of things I had been thinking at the time.

Thanks for the discussion. It has made me think hard about my beliefs. BB! MW
Blessed Be!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »

For my own part, I certainly have no desire to become a Godhead, and I imagine I speak for most of us all. However your point is about striving for that plain and I would certainly agree that we should all strive to be the best that we can be. For those who succeed to a greater degree, this may be perceived as a God complex, but only if the arrogance was to accompany that achievement.

The struggle to get there is what makes us better, not the achievement, so the struggle ever continues.

I can't say I agree with the concept of mortal becoming Deity, apart from the issues with omnipotence and omnipresence, I believe it could get pretty crowded and what would one become God/ess of anyway? most of the positions are filled.  ;)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »

How about a God/ess of sandblasting?   ;D

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 12:14:03 AM »

I suspect that Brigid already has that covered, since she's the Goddess of Smithcraft; back in pre-Christian times when the Pagan gods and goddesses were first being recognised, or discovered, or invented or whatever, smithcraft was perhaps the highest level of technology available to the humans of that era. Nowadays of course, Brigid's responsibilities cover all aspects of metalworking and indeed perhaps technology generally.

But perhaps she delegates responsibility for other specialties within technology to lesser deities? Perhaps there's a God of sandblasting, a Goddess of non-destructive testing, a God of open-hearth steelmaking, a Goddess of solid-state electronics?

Then there's Eris, the Goddess of chaos, confusion and bureaucracy, with perhaps a sub-specialty of computer programming. Certainly some of the fundamental principles of computer sciences seem to partake strongly of chaos and confusion ..... think of "There is always one more bug," and "The most destructive bug is the one you don't find until the software is installed on all your computers - and then the only way to debug it is by ripping apart the whole system....."

Eris is closely related to Murphy, the God of Whatever Can Go Wrong, Will; and the shadowy, nameless Goddess of Even Things That Can't Possibly Go Wrong, Will Still Go Wrong - And in the Most Destructive (And Expensive) Way Possible.

Blessed Be, and may the Gods and Goddesses not give you too much grief.

Alchymist
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 05:33:59 AM »

Eris is closely related to Murphy, the God of Whatever Can Go Wrong, Will; and the shadowy, nameless Goddess of Even Things That Can't Possibly Go Wrong, Will Still Go Wrong - And in the Most Destructive (And Expensive) Way Possible.

Blessed Be, and may the Gods and Goddesses not give you too much grief.

Alchymist

Too late! Murphy has already been giving me grief. The air compressor still hasn't arrived (two weeks late already) and they can't tell us where it is. The humidity has been high, making blasting in all that protective gear quite uncomfortable. And now, the compressor we've been renting decided to quit half way through the last piece we have for this job.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 10:59:38 PM »

The thought of mortals and ascension has to many Christian remnants for me. It just doesn't fit in my way of thinking. But it makes for some interesting discussion. I'm not sure I would be interested in the job. It would be my luck to be the goddess of toilet paper.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 07:10:24 AM »

How about the God Yargh? The God of standing on bricks of Lego and electrical plugs in bare feet  ::)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 01:42:54 PM »

You mean something like this genius?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsowLBretlk

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:56:51 PM »

I've seen that one before; A completely new and as yet unexplored level of stupid that goes far beyond the realms of Darwinian moronism (so unbelievably brainless it needed a new word to be created for it).

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 03:57:13 PM »

Stupid and very funny. Even I am smarter than that. ;D ;D
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: [1]   Go Up