Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 31, 2014, 11:47:29 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: An Odd Argument  (Read 1432 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: An Odd Argument
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2014, 09:33:02 AM »

Well that's just it, it has nothing whatsoever to do with religion any more, I imagine it once did in times where it mattered. Perhaps it started at the time of Oliver Cromwell, it's simply stuck as a traditional trend for many years without any thought being given to it at all. As I said, it's merely a tag similar to being tagged as black or white, Irish or Scottish and so on. These things are easily overlooked or forgotten about. I imagine it also stuck for a long time due to many children dying young of disease etc. and they wanted a particular religious orientation to carry out burial/last rites.

As an example, do you realise that it's only a number of years ago that a town just south of the border of Scotland, Berwick Upon Tweed, was at war with Russia? That came about because when war was declared, the monarch at that time stated that the United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Berwick Upon Tweed are at war with Russia. When it was all over, there was a different monarch and that declaration was stated similarly but missing out the bit naming Berwick. So in official terms they were still at war.....
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »

FW, your citation is quite funny.

.... so there was this English visitor in Northern Ireland, dropped into the local pub one evening and got talking with the regulars (I guess this happened out in the country somewhere, rather than in Belfast, where things might have become a little more ..... shall we say heated?). The conversation turned to matters of religion.

"So, then," someone asked the newcomer, "What are ye then? Are ye a Catholic or a Protestant?"

"Well, neither, actually," our hero replied. "I'm an atheist."

"All right then, but are ye a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

It seems to me that, if you can find the answer to that question, you have achieved total enlightenment, and have earned the right to step forever off the Wheel of Karma.

Or, to put everything into its true perspective; as any Irishman worth his Old Bushmills would say, when pressed for a definite answer to a question; "Well, it is and it isn't."

It is perhaps not generally known that the venerable sage Mullah Nasrudin, whom the Sufis insist on claiming as their own, was actually an Irishman from Donegal.
http://www.rodneyohebsion.com/mulla-nasrudin.htm

It was my good friend Patrick Declan O'Malley, the Seer of Burtonport, who told me this. He was drunk at the time, but he was very insistent, and who am I to call him a liar?

Alchymist.

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »

"So, then," someone asked the newcomer, "What are ye then? Are ye a Catholic or a Protestant?"

"Well, neither, actually," our hero replied. "I'm an atheist."

"All right then, but are ye a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist?"

I wish I'd had this anecdote to hand sooner, it would have saved a lot of explanation earlier.....LoLoL  ::) ::) ;D ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

FW

• Willow
  • There is no religion higher than Truth
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »

Thanks Alchymist. DR's odd argument is now less odd to me thanks to your anecdote.
The Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »

:-p :-p :-p  Gee, Thanks!  :-p :-p :-p

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »

Happy to be of assistance.

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up