Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 21, 2014, 06:33:15 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Examination of Agnosticism  (Read 521 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Examination of Agnosticism
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2014, 05:39:11 PM »

Are we getting into the Christian emphasis on faith as opposed to reason?

This is one reason Wicca resonates with me and Christianity never has.  Wicca is a religion based on human observation of the mundane world.  It's experiential and we live our religion quite literally. I've never grokked the notion of faith.

In many ways, Christianity, in theory, is much the same, at least for me, since I am an areligous Christian.  Faith can be blind, as in your reference to traditional Christianity, or it can be based on past experience, with faith that what has happened before will happen again, but with no guarantees; an example would be the sun coming up in the morning; we all have faith that it will indeed come up, but in reality, it's not absolutely guaranteed.

For me, my interpretation of the Genesis reference to man being created in the image of G-d relates to a universal point of connection.  To know G-d we must know ourselves, for G-d's imprint is within us, much like a reload from a computer image; it's left to us to journey within to realize where we truly stand.  It's referred to as the "Godhead" in the Hindu religion.

Do we know?  No.  Do we have an inkling from our total spiritual experience?  Yes, probably, even if it is yet unrealized.

Could it be then that it is not an accumulation of knowledge that we seek with each incarnation, but perhaps at each level we strive to come closer to the "Godhead" within us until we reach that point?

Have I taken that wrongly FS?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2014, 08:53:26 PM »

Are we getting into the Christian emphasis on faith as opposed to reason?

This is one reason Wicca resonates with me and Christianity never has.  Wicca is a religion based on human observation of the mundane world.  It's experiential and we live our religion quite literally. I've never grokked the notion of faith.

In many ways, Christianity, in theory, is much the same, at least for me, since I am an areligous Christian.  Faith can be blind, as in your reference to traditional Christianity, or it can be based on past experience, with faith that what has happened before will happen again, but with no guarantees; an example would be the sun coming up in the morning; we all have faith that it will indeed come up, but in reality, it's not absolutely guaranteed.

For me, my interpretation of the Genesis reference to man being created in the image of G-d relates to a universal point of connection.  To know G-d we must know ourselves, for G-d's imprint is within us, much like a reload from a computer image; it's left to us to journey within to realize where we truly stand.  It's referred to as the "Godhead" in the Hindu religion.

Do we know?  No.  Do we have an inkling from our total spiritual experience?  Yes, probably, even if it is yet unrealized.

Could it be then that it is not an accumulation of knowledge that we seek with each incarnation, but perhaps at each level we strive to come closer to the "Godhead" within us until we reach that point?

Have I taken that wrongly FS?

Nope... that's essentially what I meant;probably better described with the Hindi word "namaste", which essentially says that in each of us there is a place where the divine lives, and when we are in that place, we are all the same, and as such, the divinity within me recognizes and acknowledges the divinity within you... they pack a lot into one word... lol.

For me, life and death are irrelevant; I think both are illusions because that which we are is never born and cannot die, both being only different stages of the same thing; is an egg a chicken?  Is an acorn an oak tree?  Yes to both, because regardless of it's stage in the circle of life and death, neither can ever be anything else... right?

The goal is to become one with the divine, and realize that this is what you have always been.  I told you I was a strange Christian... LOL
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 03:12:22 AM »

Interesting, that merits a good bit of thought.

Oh, and by the way, "strange" doesn't even begin to cover it......LoL  ;D ;D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Bardon Keene

• Fir
  • Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:12 AM »

That kind of makes Strong  Agnostics and Humanists the same then?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 06:14:14 AM by Bardon Keene »
Seething deep down inside my inner powers they do hide. This secret in you I do confide. As we may now live side by side. So keep my secret, I'll keep yours, We will guard the The land, of Paradise shores

“Sometimes I think that wisdoms slip from my mind like drool from the lips of an idiot... Bu

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 12:32:48 AM »

Not really. I'd say that Humanism and Strong Agnosticism are compatible, but certainly not identical.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

"Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith (fideism). The meaning of the term humanism has fluctuated, according to the successive intellectual movements which have identified with it.[1] Generally, however, humanism refers to a perspective that affirms some notion of a "human nature" (sometimes contrasted with antihumanism).

In modern times, humanist movements are typically aligned with secularism and with non-theistic religions.[2] Historically however, this was not always the case."

Essentially, Humanism says nothing about the existence of gods, goddesses or so-called "supernatural" beings at all, but as the Wikipedia article says it simply values evidence over faith - which makes it equally compatible with such non-theistic religions as Unitarianism and Buddhism, with probably most variations of Paganism, with all shades of agnosticism and with outright atheism; but certainly incompatible with any kind of fundamentalist or absolutist religions.

A case could be made that, since many philosophers seem to have equated Humanism with philanthropy (scroll down through the Wiki article), Humanism is in fact a rather complicated and convoluted way of urging people to be kind to each other!

Blessed Be everyone,

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Bardon Keene

• Fir
  • Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong.
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »

Not really. I'd say that Humanism and Strong Agnosticism are compatible, but certainly not identical.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism.....

Thanks for pointing this out Alchymist  ;D
Seething deep down inside my inner powers they do hide. This secret in you I do confide. As we may now live side by side. So keep my secret, I'll keep yours, We will guard the The land, of Paradise shores

“Sometimes I think that wisdoms slip from my mind like drool from the lips of an idiot... Bu
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up