Nuked
Welcome, Guest
July 02, 2015, 09:34:38 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If You Are "Out", How Do YOU Deal With...  (Read 125 times)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
If You Are "Out", How Do YOU Deal With...
« on: June 10, 2015, 08:37:27 AM »

This is specifically for people who are out of closets.  I would like to keep it to Spiritual / Religious closets.

For example:

My primary care physician is an Evangelical Christian.  Matter of fact, right now he's doing his annual two weeks' missionary work.   I am, obviously, not.  He has been my physician for more than a decade and a friend for nigh as long.  He has come to my house professionally and as a friend.  We have broken bread together and hunted together.  After the first time I met his wife and kids, I asked him if they knew.  He said, "Sure.  But we're forgiving like that."  I told him I didn't think I needed "forgiveness".  He told me that it wasn't for "sin" per se, but that he and his choose to be open and accepting of all.  (NICE, RIGHT??).  Then I told him that we felt the same way...that the wife and I don't hold a grudge about all the torture, hangings, duckings and burnings, either.

Yes, we laughed.  Then we cast our lines out.  He got two, I got one.

How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: If You Are "Out", How Do YOU Deal With...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 09:09:29 AM »

As I've said before, it's not so much an issue over here in blighty. The subject never really comes up, but I don't make a secret of it. At the same time I don't make soapbox declarations either  ;D ;D If I'm asked, I answer....Simple.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »

A coworker finally asked at work what my spirituality was because he saw my pentacle a few times, but couldn't bring himself to ask. I don't hide my necklace, but it usually swings and tucks itself in my shirt thanks to the physical work I do. Customers haven't attacked me over it or have made complaints since they realize how nice I am. Anyway, he asked, I answered and ended up talking about it because I asked him "So what do YOU think a witch is? and what about witchcraft?" since he is from Nigeria and I wanted to know what he thought was taught/knew. Course he gave me the whole "Evil, Satanic" answer and I said "Uhh do I look evil to you?" He said no, you're way too nice and I doubt you could hurt a fly. We both laughed and talked some more about it. Educated him on what nature based spirituality and how witches and people who practice witchcraft aren't evil at all. He understood and he's totally accepting of my beliefs. We agreed that we should be able to believe what we want and not try to say one's belief is false while another is the beat all, end all truth and that wars dealing with religion are stupid ;D

So I've been out of the closet at work and in public, I just don't shout it off the rooftops or anything. I just don't fully come out of the closet at home. My family knows that I get annoyed when they talk about tv pastors and talk of the bible. Mom doesn't ask if I would accompany her to church anymore whenever she is able to go and they don't know that I have Pagan jewelry.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 06:09:15 AM »

I think the point I was trying to make, (for me it's not a question about being out.  Anywhere.  Anytime), but the interaction with people that aren't of the Craft.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:47:25 AM »

I think the majority of people simply don't take it (or Pagans) seriously, It's viewed more as an eccentricity, or latter day hippy trip, or even tree huggers anonymous. This is due more to the ignorance of people rather than seeing it as the devils accomplices, understanding is the key.  :-p

On occasion I have seen a light come on in someone's head as it is explained to them. They realise that there are no sparks flying from fingertips, or that they are in danger of going "ribbit" for the rest of their lives...... One person at a time  ::)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Twixt

• Fir
  • Not all who wander are lost
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:16:16 AM »

I think I have to agree with you on that, Drac. On one hand, all the recent movies and TV shows did the Pagan community a good deed:  they got the idea out there. On the other, they made being a Pagan something of a mainstream, and like you said, something almost laughable. And it probably depends on where/how people grew up, how open they will be to new (old) ideas and how comfortable they will be around someone who worships a different way. I grew up in a group of historical reenactors and quite a few of them were some flavor of Pagan. Just as many, or more, were some flavor of Christian. However, there wasn't any judging, everyone got along really well, and drunken discussions on religion were rather amusing. Now that I am finding my path on the nature trail, however, I begin to see why so many are scared to admit to their Pagan ways. My Facebook feed is full of Jesus posts; most of my family is fairly religious, my parents especially so. I haven't really come right out and told them I'm searching for something more fulfilling spiritually, but I also don't shy away from theological discussions and challenging their views. I still don't feel comfortable wearing a pentacle, but I have a beautiful Tree of Life pendant that I wear and get compliments on. I don't mind other people knowing that I am looking into Pagan ways; what I am most afraid of is not being attacked, ridiculed or abused, but of being preached at and told I'm going to Hell by friends and family that should know better, that I know are more open minded than that, except when it comes to their religion. There are two things in life that people will attack others for with little to no provocation:  their religion and their politics. Challenge either, and well reasoned people seem to lose their minds....
Save the Earth!! It's the only planet with chocolate!!

Live well, laugh often, love much.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 10:08:54 AM »

Well put.

My Friendface, Tweet, email and IIRC pages / links / groups and such are all full of "Dear Lord" and "Please / thank you Jesus" posts.  As well, there are many more "Bright / Warm, etc {insert Sabbat here} posts.

Now, I can't pretend to know what someone thousands of miles away is thinking when they're sitting comfortably behind their keyboard, but, I have gotten many "To You and Yours" replies even as I give them.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »

My friends and family know who and what I am.  They also know if they do not like it they do not have to associate with me.  It would hurt to lose anyone I care about because of my beliefs but it would also hurt to compromise my beliefs.  I was asked by one of my students the other day(she is 9) what the necklace was that I wear.  I told her the truth, a star in a heart.  Had it been an adult I would have said a pentacle in a heart.  I do not hide what I am but choose carefully how I answer questions to certain people. 
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »

I wear my pentacle all the time and have never been asked what it is. Not by family or friends. I don't hide anything related to my
beliefs at home. I think my nephew has explored paganism a little, but he never asks questions. I think he has some fears coz
his family is very christian @ times. He already feels like the black sheep of his family. They treat him badly, so I understand how
he feels.

I  have never had a stranger ask questions, but I feel I could answer questions truthfully if asked.

Where I worked some years ago, everyone knew I was a pagan and had no problems with it. Several asked questions out of
curiosity. There were several other employees that were also pagan. It was not a problem.

The only close family I have know that I'm not a christian, they don't seem have a problem with that. At least not that I know of.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: [1]   Go Up