Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 22, 2014, 04:29:25 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion; Why Deity?  (Read 145 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Discussion; Why Deity?
« on: December 07, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »

God/dess is viewed by many in many different ways; some see there being one and only one, some see one with many aspects. Some see a trinity and some a duality, then further there are those who see multifaceted. There are others please include as you feel. There are many names; God, Jaweh, Jehova, Allah, Zeus, Odin, Freja, Morrighan, The Divine, Lord and Lady, the list goes on and on and on.

My question here is not a challenge to anyone, to their path, or a challenge to the existence of a supreme being; my question is aimed to make each of you examine more fully your own beliefs and perhaps strengthen your faith. And for those who seek, perhaps this may help you to find the path meant for you. This is my intention and my hope.

WHY, do we look to a supreme being? Do we feel the need to “know” there is something/one out there greater than we are? Do we fear that death holds nothing when we move on? Is this a way to police our own morality? Or is it simply that it is part of our racial/genetic memory that there is a Divine that watches over us?

So what is it we are looking for in a “G_D”? and why?
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Discussion; Why Deity?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »

I tend to agree with the idea of genetic memory. If I were stranded on a deserted island with no human contact, I would have many
gods and goddesses. At least one god and goddess. A god of the sea and it's inhabitants, the sun,farming, etc. A goddess of the
moon, earth, childbearing, etc. I feel it's normal to seek something more, something larger than life.

Then comes the idea, there must be a god that watches over all. A god that protects us and ensures our survival. After all we must
secure our knowledge for the future of our children.

I'm, looking for a god that understands compassion and need . A goddess that walks with me and reveals the answers to all my
questions. Right now this is what I need
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Amberhawk

• Fir
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 07:45:59 AM »

I've struggled all of my life as to if there is or not. I can't remember a time, ever, even when I was going through missionette training in my teens, that I believe in or felt the presence of anything I might consider deity. Spirits, other entities... perhaps, but not any god or gods. I always felt there was an off color leap and assumption that a 'here after' automatically meant there was some supreme creator or several of them.

Honestly I cant discredit it all together either. It isn't my place to tell people what they should believe or feel. Maybe others do feel something I don't as we are all a bit different in that aspect. For me it really doesn't if their is or isn't. I don't really look to or for it. If it really is there and I'm meant to follow I'm sure I'll eventually be tapped on the shoulder. Until then it hasn't been a large play in my life or lifestyle.

I'm not sure if this has much to do with what you meant, but currently I do have a modern image of Hekate on my altar. I consider that altar a power center and work space more than a tribute to her. She is there as more a symbol of feminine power, personal choices (crossroads) and where those choices potentially may lead me more than anything else. She held power over land, sea and skies and reminds me that I do have control of my own world (internally and household especially) and that I should not be shy about taking a strong hold of that power. Its also a reminder that what I do can very well affect people around me, both positively and negatively, so to work with caution, thoughtfulness and wisdom.

She was also said to be mistress of the night, spirits/ghosts and witchcraft at some point, which also seems right up many witches' alley.  :D

Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 12:57:58 AM »

AmberHawk it could be , the home and hearth . They were the domain of Witches , could be your path is to take and teach others what the happiness of family is .

Why do we need Deity's in the same way we needed a Mother and Father , to guide , teach and let use continue to learn and grow . To fill the void of loneliness ?.
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Amberhawk

• Fir
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 07:39:29 AM »

AmberHawk it could be , the home and hearth . They were the domain of Witches , could be your path is to take and teach others what the happiness of family is .

Why do we need Deity's in the same way we needed a Mother and Father , to guide , teach and let use continue to learn and grow . To fill the void of loneliness ?.

LOL Oh if only those others would listen...  Seems the last several years all I have left really is to teach by example, particularly with my husband's family. It doesn't seem to sink in by talking things over or asking questions about such things, the latter being my usual tactic.

I suppose a mother/father angle would also work for many. I wouldn't know really how to respond to have either as my father was more or less non existent from the time I was roughly 8 on, and my mother was a distant, cold woman for reasons I understand now (family drama woes I really don't wish to get into). I tend to be one of those types to have to catch myself from over mothering though... "fuss, fuss, sometimes fret" seems to be the theme through all my adult life.

Aunt Thora

• Cypress
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:37:40 AM »

all I have left really is to teach by example,

don't under estimate teaching by example ... Action speaks louder then words and will be remember more so then what you have said. 

Amberhawk

• Fir
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »

all I have left really is to teach by example,

don't under estimate teaching by example ... Action speaks louder then words and will be remember more so then what you have said.

Yes, normally I agree. Often that is very true. Unfortunately we are talking drug and alcohol soaked people who are hiding so severely from their pains they cant seem to tell up from down anymore. Aside from that they are also very much southern baptists who think my not being christian makes me hardly worthy of noting in anything I do, never mind say. Gods I'm so happy to have my own home now! LOL!

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »

Aunt Thora , words ring true , she is wise . But in the end only your heart can guide you ; just remember that you also have to care for yourself . You may not put yourself first just don't put yourself last .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Amberhawk

• Fir
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 07:22:50 AM »

Aunt Thora , words ring true , she is wise . But in the end only your heart can guide you ; just remember that you also have to care for yourself . You may not put yourself first just don't put yourself last .

Yes, if I cannot take care of myself, how in this world and the next would I ever be able to take care of anyone else? I get you and words to live by.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »

WHY, do we look to a supreme being? Do we feel the need to “know” there is something/one out there greater than we are? Do we fear that death holds nothing when we move on? Is this a way to police our own morality? Or is it simply that it is part of our racial/genetic memory that there is a Divine that watches over us?

So what is it we are looking for in a “G_D”? and why?

So getting back to the original question or topic.....

Amber, going by what you said in your earlier post, I would say you might possibly fall into the category of agnostic. Now this isn't a bad thing, I myself am agnostic. If you read up about it, there are different types of agnosticism and varying degrees. I don't rule out the existence of Deity, I hope there is something/someone out there. I haven't found that definitive point yet that changes my point of view. Perhaps you may want to look a bit deeper into that and see where it takes you....
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Amberhawk

• Fir
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 08:42:02 AM »

Yes, I kind of figured that idea. I haven't quite come to terms with it but I expect a long term sifting either which way. I don't think I ever thought badly or unkindly about Gnosticism though I'm aware of there being a whole 'sitting the fence' stigma attached.I don't think that's so bad really either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up