Nuked
Welcome, Guest
May 25, 2016, 03:40:31 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you know if you're a witch?  (Read 821 times)

Alchymist

• Oak
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
Re: How do you know if you're a witch?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 11:35:52 PM »

Bluedjango, if you're still around, I have to say I'm not entirely ignorant of mysticism either. I've read everything from Jakob Boehme to Sri Chinmoy to Ken Wilber, and taken two years' worth of meditation courses; the course leaders got very annoyed with me for asking questions they had no adequate answers for. "You're in your analyser; it gets in the way of (capital T) Truth", I was told, repeatedly. They seemed to forget that we humans come equipped with analysers for a very good reason; another name for "analyser" would be "baloney detector". We were discouraged from using our analysers, I decided, because it would have been just too easy for us to conclude that they were peddling snake oil and, of course, stop paying them money. Others combined a touching sincerity with appalling ignorance; I've been told, with a perfectly straight face, that "all food turns into sugar in the body", that an amethyst ring someone was wearing "isn't a crystal, it's a gemstone," and that beryl isn't a proper crystal because it doesn't have pointed ends. Sitting for hours in intense meditation with these people quickly lost any allure it might once have had (there was this beautiful exotic dark haired girl - but I digress).

Thus I came to the conclusion that mysticism was a waste of my time (and, incidentally, money), and had no real-world application to practical Witchcraft. I tended to agree with Robert Graves, who in his classic "The White Goddess" (page 479) described Samadhi (eastern mysticism) as "a psychopathic condition, a spiritual orgasm .... the most refined form of solitary vice imaginable." Harsh words perhaps; but justifiable in the circumstances.

Blessed Be everyone,

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: How do you know if you're a witch?
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2016, 10:49:44 PM »

I guess what it comes down to is learning what it is to be one, and then start practicing it. When you practice, you become. Everyone has areas they are not exactly brilliant in when it comes to various skills of a witch. But if you start practicing regularly, daily, and living it... that is when you are.

Amberhawk I like this very much. Wish we had a like button.

Alchymist I always enjoy your posts. I found the "baloney detector" very amusing.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up