Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 21, 2014, 07:52:41 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleansing/Protection from the "one true God"?  (Read 536 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Cleansing/Protection from the "one true God"?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 07:27:11 PM »

Simply saying "Goddess blessings" is often enough to pull them up short.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »

If they say "we'll pray for you" just say "Thank you, I'll perform a rite for you." Watch their faces drop....LoL
Depends on the context.  If they want to pray for my conversion if ticks me off. It's rude.  However if they want to pray for my well being well heck, we can all use a shot of positive energy and good thoughts. That's rather sweet.
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

leryssa

• Willow
  • Born Pagan, Learning Witchcraft
    • Color me Witchy (my blog about learning the craft)
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »

No one has ever told me they'd pray for my conversion. The few who know accept it as apart of me.
♪♫ take one step at a time.. there's no need to rush..♫♪
Been a Pagan all my life, I just didn't realize it until last year. No Tradition or Path as of yet!
Mistakes are inevitable, make them and learn from them.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »

If they say "we'll pray for you" just say "Thank you, I'll perform a rite for you." Watch their faces drop....LoL

Actually, I'm honored when anybody wants to appeal to their deity on my behalf.  Nothing in my understanding of Christianity would be in conflict.  The problem is that too many people focus on the Bible, as in the KJV.

The G-d of the Old Testament, is just a shallow, 1-dimensional view of the G-d of Torah.  If you don't speak Hebrew, you can't read Torah, since it is written in Hebrew, and any translations are merely shadows of what lies within; it is reproduced exactly the same way, with exactly the same Hebrew characters without vowels, where every character has several different and distinct meanings, in the form of the literal translation, as well as in conjunction with metaphor, allegory, sometime with the assistance of additional information, or in a metaphysical sense... that's why Talmud is a little over 6,000 pages...

The Hebrew G-d, the G-d of Abraham, was not a G-d of jealousy; nothing could be further from the truth.  He as a jealous G-d, in other words, he made a contract with the ancient Hebrews, through Moses, to be their advocate, if they would maintain His word and law on Earth.  That covenant contains the 10 Commandments, which are the rules and terms of the contract.  One was that the Hebrews should have no other G-d before Him.  In doing so, they would break the covenant. 

One of the results of the covenant was the designation as the "chosen people", which is commonly understood to mean "elite", but again  it couldn't be further from the truth; it means that they and only they, are burdened with the responsibility of maintaining G-d's law.  In a way, they were "chosen" as Job was "chosen", ("Behold my servant Job...")  Certainly not my cup of tea... LOL

As a  gnostic (small g) Christian, I see most if not all Christian churches as abominations.  Any ill will you feel there isn't from G-d, but from the people who believe they need some kind of intermediary, such as a priest, or minister, to understand their own deity.  They are anti Pagan, Jew, or whatever, and mistrust anybody who doesn't adhere to the words of Paul.  The New Testament should really be called the Book of Paul... there is wisdom there, but it's perspective is skewed.
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Alchymist

• Cypress
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »

Leryssa: no, I've never been into a Seventh-Day Adventist church, so I really couldn't make a fair comment.

A personal anecdote: while in Mexico my wife and I befriended a young woman with a 4-year-old daughter, a 2-year-old son who was born without a femur in one leg, and a newborn baby girl. Her partner - a Mexican guy with an alcohol and drugs problem, and who has been seriously violent with her in the past but who is trying valiantly to turn his life around, was in jail at the time, having stolen some items to sell to try to support his family as he couldn't find work. She was pretty desperate - her mother had just kicked her and her children out. We helped as we were able, but we're far from wealthy. She expressed a wish to go to the nearby Jehovah's Witnesses church, so we took her there.

Now, I've never cared for JWs, especially those who evangelize door-to-door - I usually just say "Sorry, I'm not interested," and close the door, and to me their beliefs seem, frankly, bonkers - but those people at the church turned out to be some of the kindest, most helpful, most generous-hearted people you'd ever wish to meet. They took her in, helped her to find a place to live, raised money for her..... It altered my perceptions, I can tell you; I was impressed.

Divine grace can express itself through any kind of channel; Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Pagan, Hindu, Atheist, Discordian.... Sometimes it takes another person's suffering to bring it out. But it's there.

Blessed Be everyone,

Alchymist. 
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Alces Alces

• Holly
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:30 AM »

I believe every place has a soul. Every building, and house. But to be fair to my bookstore situation, I did not feel negativity from people, or the place. The books on the otherhand may have had a hand in it though. I was standing in front of the used book section when all my symptoms hightened massively.
If you were in front of used books, there may have been some that had mildew or mold on them from having been stored in damp areas. You may have had a reaction to that.

MoonlitWings

• Hazel
  • My wings, bathed in the light of the moon.
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »

I believe every place has a soul. Every building, and house. But to be fair to my bookstore situation, I did not feel negativity from people, or the place. The books on the otherhand may have had a hand in it though. I was standing in front of the used book section when all my symptoms hightened massively.
If you were in front of used books, there may have been some that had mildew or mold on them from having been stored in damp areas. You may have had a reaction to that.
I also commented about potential dust being an as well.

leryssa

• Willow
  • Born Pagan, Learning Witchcraft
    • Color me Witchy (my blog about learning the craft)
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »

Actually, I'm honored when anybody wants to appeal to their deity on my behalf.  Nothing in my understanding of Christianity would be in conflict.  The problem is that too many people focus on the Bible, as in the KJV.
Agree to disagree about the honored part. And I grew up with NIV and extreme distaste for anything but. My denomination was kinda strict on the subject.
The G-d of the Old Testament, is just a shallow, 1-dimensional view of the G-d of Torah.  If you don't speak Hebrew, you can't read Torah, since it is written in Hebrew, and any translations are merely shadows of what lies within; it is reproduced exactly the same way, with exactly the same Hebrew characters without vowels, where every character has several different and distinct meanings, in the form of the literal translation, as well as in conjunction with metaphor, allegory, sometime with the assistance of additional information, or in a metaphysical sense... that's why Talmud is a little over 6,000 pages...
The Hebrew G-d, the G-d of Abraham, was not a G-d of jealousy; nothing could be further from the truth.  He as a jealous G-d, in other words, he made a contract with the ancient Hebrews, through Moses, to be their advocate, if they would maintain His word and law on Earth.  That covenant contains the 10 Commandments, which are the rules and terms of the contract.  One was that the Hebrews should have no other G-d before Him.  In doing so, they would break the covenant. 
One of the results of the covenant was the designation as the "chosen people", which is commonly understood to mean "elite", but again  it couldn't be further from the truth; it means that they and only they, are burdened with the responsibility of maintaining G-d's law.  In a way, they were "chosen" as Job was "chosen", ("Behold my servant Job...")  Certainly not my cup of tea... LOL
These paragraphs I have read, over and over, and I cannot dispute your logic nor your opinion. At the same time, I cannot dispute my opinion which strays from yours. I have often thought the Muslum G-d is the same as the Christian one. If he is, It makes even more sense to me that this is the G-d of War because these two religions cannot seem to agree, even though they are so closely knit in beliefs.
As a  gnostic (small g) Christian, I see most if not all Christian churches as abominations.  Any ill will you feel there isn't from G-d, but from the people who believe they need some kind of intermediary, such as a priest, or minister, to understand their own deity.  They are anti Pagan, Jew, or whatever, and mistrust anybody who doesn't adhere to the words of Paul.  The New Testament should really be called the Book of Paul... there is wisdom there, but it's perspective is skewed.
In my church, we believed we did not need a priest or pastor or middleman to speak to God, they were there to offer more insight into the decoding of the Book itself. To better understand the laws, and G-d we were to worship daily. No idea about the Paul bit, but otherwise I fins myself accepting each word you've written in this last paragraph.

*edit to add the following*

This is an excellent point, Alces. It had not occurred to me. Then again, I did jump to conclusions and hadn't even thought about dust, or the lighting, or any scents they may have used. If nothing else this has [hopefully] taught me to think before rushing to any conclusions of any nature.
♪♫ take one step at a time.. there's no need to rush..♫♪
Been a Pagan all my life, I just didn't realize it until last year. No Tradition or Path as of yet!
Mistakes are inevitable, make them and learn from them.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »

Several of the hospitals in N/W NJ are run by 7DA.  EVERYONE in an emergency was always taken to the nearest.  You couldn't request which one if you went by ambulance, you wen't to the closest.

AND as soon as you were stabilized, you paid for a private ambulance to take you to a public hospital.

There was a scandalous issue with them that took place over the course of a year or so.  If the MD prescribed 100 mg of a pain killer, they substituted half the amount and of a lesser drug.  If you went to a 7DA hospital, you were going to be in pain, period.  You couldn't even get a regular Coke from the machine in the waiting room.  Only caffeine free.  Same with the coffee and tea.

While I have NO issue with people offering to pray for me to their G-d, (even so far as "G-d bless you after a sneeze) (1) , IMPOSING their view, (of ANY deity), does get my dander up.  Whether it's medication, blood or just issues of a "dress code" (2), I tend to get visibly annoyed.  But I have sense enough to avoid such places / people.

(1)  It always annoyed me WORSE when "pagan" people would get all up in someone's face about the "G-d bless you" bit...you know the type:  "How dare you assume I'm a Christian!"  Gobshytes.

(2)I'm not talking about schools.  Matter of fact, I support dress codes for ALL schools.  I'm talking about asking people to leave if dressed "inappropriately" in their view.
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »

Agree to disagree about the honored part. And I grew up with NIV and extreme distaste for anything but. My denomination was kinda strict on the subject.
These paragraphs I have read, over and over, and I cannot dispute your logic nor your opinion. At the same time, I cannot dispute my opinion which strays from yours. I have often thought the Muslum G-d is the same as the Christian one. If he is, It makes even more sense to me that this is the G-d of War because these two religions cannot seem to agree, even though they are so closely knit in beliefs.
In my church, we believed we did not need a priest or pastor or middleman to speak to God, they were there to offer more insight into the decoding of the Book itself. To better understand the laws, and G-d we were to worship daily. No idea about the Paul bit, but otherwise I fins myself accepting each word you've written in this last paragraph.

*edit to add the following*

This is an excellent point, Alces. It had not occurred to me. Then again, I did jump to conclusions and hadn't even thought about dust, or the lighting, or any scents they may have used. If nothing else this has [hopefully] taught me to think before rushing to any conclusions of any nature.

Much of the New Testament is in the words of Paul, who possibly never even knew Jesus.  He was a tax collector who was enlightened on the road and became a fervent "Christian".  The original ministry of Jesus wasn't inclusive of Gentiles.  It was Paul who took it a ran with it, and began spreading his version to the Gentiles.  The New Testament should be called "The Book of Paul"
~Anonymous

morningdove

• Ash
  • At home
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

I have said the same thing at times. If I grew up with the person and know their intentions are not meant to harm of judge then I just say thank you, a little prayer cannot hurt.
Getting healthy so I have no more big "C" scares.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »

I think you have to look at the thought behind it.  If they're merely wishing you well, in their own way, according to their own beliefs, what's to be resentful about?

To me it's akin to people being insulted when somebody says, "Merry Christmas", rather than "Happy Holidays".  In the US, Christmas is also a secular holiday, as well as a national one.  In many ways it's like saying "Happy 4th of July".

I think people should be able to express their core beliefs freely... that's what the First Amendment is all about.

~Anonymous

Ashe Isadora

• Ash
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »

To me it depends on the intent of the prayer.  A prayer for my health or well being is very sweet.  A prayer for my conversion to Christianity sends me running for blood pressure meds.
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.

Lazarus Long

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 04:14:17 AM »

I think you have to look at the thought behind it.  If they're merely wishing you well, in their own way, according to their own beliefs, what's to be resentful about?

To me it's akin to people being insulted when somebody says, "Merry Christmas", rather than "Happy Holidays".  In the US, Christmas is also a secular holiday, as well as a national one.  In many ways it's like saying "Happy 4th of July".

I think people should be able to express their core beliefs freely... that's what the First Amendment is all about.

Quoted for the absolute TRUTH this post contains.  Reader, thou woulds't do well to heed the wisdom it contains!
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up