Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 25, 2014, 08:38:28 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Witchcraft; yesterdays science?  (Read 3397 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Witchcraft; yesterdays science?
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 02:16:59 PM »

Science seeks to take the wonder and mysteries away , to corrupt the pure and make life boring .

Like the old Witch said, " science is for those that can't handle Magic. "  always good shrooms at her place.

No OG, I can't argue with you there.
Although, by the same token, are we not guilty of doing the same whenever we explain any mystery? Christmas is magical to the children until they find out that Santa is really mum or dad, placing the toys under the tree. The Tooth fairy, Easter bunny etc.

It's sad that we can't just embrace the mystery rather than rationalise everything. It's the Human condition, rationalisation. We want to know the why's and the wherefor's, the how's and the what for's. We just can't always accept face value.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »

Yah , but isn't it more fun to go into a cave with a flaming torch instead of a FLIR and sound detectors .

Some little enlightenment for you  THE TOOTH FAIRY IS REAL . , and  The Easter Bunnys really a Squrriel  and he's a real nut job  and SANTA's a well , what kind of a meany are you to ruin things for all those little waifs. I hopethe Bogie man scares the S*&@  out of you and steal you car too  and dumps it in France .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 05:06:29 PM »

Yah , but isn't it more fun to go into a cave with a flaming torch instead of a FLIR and sound detectors .

Absolutely, but don't share it with the rest of the world...LoL  :-p

Some little enlightenment for you  THE TOOTH FAIRY IS REAL . , and  The Easter Bunnys really a Squrriel  and he's a real nut job  and SANTA's a well , what kind of a meany are you to ruin things for all those little waifs.

WAH! MY PARENTS LIED!  :o :'(

I hopethe Bogie man scares the S*&@  out of you and steal you car too  and dumps it in France .

Now who's the meany?  :-p
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »

Why that's simple the bogey mans the meany  :-p .

naturalpaganmomma

• Holly
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »

I think your both write if you look at it from this angle. Now mind you, it's mostly supposition based off of what I have seen of human nature throughout my life.

Before Science was called Science it was a whole slew of other things: magick, midwifery, healing, shamanism, divination, alchemy, etc. Then the jealous, those who felt left out and angry watching all of these beautiful and at times otherworldly happenings, set about trying to do that of which they had seen but had not been trained and began to call it Science. Then to take things a step further, they began to use their Science to disprove or discredit the other workings they had so coveted once. And that's where the split actually took place. Science went from being the seeking of knowledge through trial and error to the purposeful act of proving or disproving something, which of course is something the other disciplines didn't do. The other disciplines just are and always have been what they are. No proving or disproving required.  :)

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »

I think your both write if you look at it from this angle. Now mind you, it's mostly supposition based off of what I have seen of human nature throughout my life.

Before Science was called Science it was a whole slew of other things: magick, midwifery, healing, shamanism, divination, alchemy, etc. Then the jealous, those who felt left out and angry watching all of these beautiful and at times otherworldly happenings, set about trying to do that of which they had seen but had not been trained and began to call it Science. Then to take things a step further, they began to use their Science to disprove or discredit the other workings they had so coveted once. And that's where the split actually took place. Science went from being the seeking of knowledge through trial and error to the purposeful act of proving or disproving something, which of course is something the other disciplines didn't do. The other disciplines just are and always have been what they are. No proving or disproving required.  :)
I'll buy that . What about you Drac sound good?. 8)

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

I'll buy that . What about you Drac sound good?. 8)

I see the truth of it, I had never considered it from that perspective before and it shines a whole new light on the subject.
The point about proving and disproving a theory was as far as I had considered that, but to take it further and to say that it was disproving other aspects that were not approved of in the past gives credence to the split.

oldghost

• Magnolia
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 08:35:45 PM »

Good job NPM , need more post from you .  :) ;) :D

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 02:35:19 AM »

I haven't had much time to read Firesong's link, so I hope this is not what he was saying.
Science has roots in what was once recognized as witchcraft and/or sorcery. Science theorises
about how magic is performed. Many areas of science have been opened up thanks to witchcraft.
Medicine, Natural Science, Chemistry, practically any suject has the word science at the end of it.
So I started thinking Philosophy, Religion, Spirituality, and  PHYSICS!

According to quantum physics and quantum mechanics all matter is nothing more than trapped energy. Stands to reason, that if thought takes energy, then by thinking or knowing that  certain
changes can be, or have been made it's possible to make those changes, underneath all the ceremony, is the basis of magick. The key is the mind. The tools are just playthings for the subconsious.The way science and magick use the energies depends on the Scientist, Spellcaster, or Witch.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 02:53:11 AM »

Absolutely my train of thought Mari, It all comes from the same original place and the original discoverers and manipulators were the witches.
Physics is basically the study of everything and the interconnectedness of everything, sound familiar?
How about psychology? here again it is possible that witches would understand the workings of the inner mind. They would know how to manipulate people with either a cure or with a placebo. They knew peoples feelings and their minds and thus knew how to work with them. Terry Pratchett called it "headology" a term his witches would use to describe how they made people believe what they wanted them to.

Heres a thought..... It has been shown that the molecules that make up a tree, a rock, a star, space dust, and everything else, are all exactly the same as the molecules that make up a person. obviously in different ways and quantities etc. but basically the same. I think it was Neil DeGrasse that said "we are star stuff" (it may have been originally said in Babylon 5).
With that thought that we are interconnected, the spirituallity of life, the Goddess and the God, all becomes more profound.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »

We are all one with the Universe.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »

Yeah, It kind of sums it all up, doesn't it  ;) :)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up