Nuked
Welcome, Guest
August 30, 2014, 09:15:05 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: My top three  (Read 1817 times)

LouLouSmiles

• Rowan
Re: My top three
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »

It's always confusing, too, because people often confuse their opinion with facts. So many things are written with bias, but the credibility of the writer makes a person gulp it down when it should be taken with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, an opinion is an opinion. Studying the history, however, or practices written in stone, that's different. That's fact, period. Wicca's been subject to so much scrutiny that it's the scrutiny that's prevalent, not the facts. So you really have to dig. And that's what you did. So many it's not as unusual as you think. But like you said, it took time. I'm just glad to have the sources that I have now that maybe people my age 20 years ago with an interest in this stuff didn't have.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 12:53:57 PM »

Yup.... we had TV and libraries...LoL  :D But I'm not getting into that "when I was young" stuff.

I would suggest you go through the book list posted on this forum, theres a lot of informative AND historically relevent information there. I try to keep an eye on second hand bookshops too, and the like. As I stated before the folks here have years of knowledge and it is they who put together that list. There are others too of course, but to get you started check out the list. Scott Cunningham is excellent for the beginner, with a lot of how to's included.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »

It's also hard to know which sources to trust.
Trust nothing.  At least, not for giving you The Big Answers. The best sources are the ones that don't claim to answer any of your questions. Or the ones that deliberately lie to you.

In a healthy light of "doubt everything" sources that take the trouble to lie to you usually have a hidden motivation that (if it can be discerned) will leave you somewhere closer to understanding. Remember, there are no secrets that can be told. But there are mysteries that can be understood.

ETA; But don't tell anyone that, because it's a secret. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:29:32 PM by Serpentium »
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »

It's also hard to know which sources to trust.
Trust nothing.  At least, not for giving you The Big Answers. The best sources are the ones that don't claim to answer any of your questions. Or the ones that deliberately lie to you.

In a healthy light of "doubt everything" sources that take the trouble to lie to you usually have a hidden motivation that (if it can be discerned) will leave you somewhere closer to understanding. Remember, there are no secrets that can be told. But there are mysteries that can be understood.

ETA; But don't tell anyone that, because it's a secret.
^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

Thumbs up, Serpentium :-p
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 06:46:21 PM »

Take it easy LouLou, no one is being closed minded here, relax.  :)
We on this site come from different aspects of Paganism, not just Wicca. Nobody is trying to stop you from following your own path. I had a look back on this thread and I see people answering your question about what they follow, and a few have suggested, that's suggested that you try one at a time. Not because they are imposing their will upon you but because through their own years of experience or lineage or wisdom, they feel that you should perhaps concentrate and be more knowledgable about your chosen path rather than take on too much. You are at an early stage in your learning and development, and you don't want to be swamped.

Please see the intention behind their words, there is no malice intended here just a little guidance.  :)

Also please don't get all hot and bothered with folks here, I've seen some pretty nasty things going on here if the wrong person takes exception and I wouldn't want to see you getting that type of flak. Learning and gaining this knowledge is actually hard going and the folks here have worked very hard to gain their positions and experience, If you respect them for that then they will respect you too. Being a Pagan isn't an interest remember, its a way of life, a faith and a religion. Just remain calm and if you have an issue, address it calmly and with forethought, any query then will be addressed with respect and reason.

I hope this has helped to ease your mind about what have perceived here.

Blessings

Thanks Drac.  You said it better than I could have.

LouLou,  I am sorry if my comments upset you.  That was not my intention.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »

My pleasure Arn  ;)

We're all friends again  :D :D :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »

LLS it was not my intention to upset you by not agreeing with you. My opinion was not harsh, just
my opinion. It's ok to disagree here without hurt feelings. We also correct each other as long as
its done in a respectful manner.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

LouLouSmiles

• Rowan
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »

None of you need to apologize, and I hope I didn't come off as too upset. I was going on about my right to an opinion without considering yours. But I'm learning, and I really just want to be friends with everyone here.  :) :D ;D

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2012, 08:51:38 AM »

While my intention was not to be harsh,(had it been, there would have been NO doubt about it)---(yeah, go ahead, Serp...),

BUT...

Without getting into long strings of quotes,you yourself said that you're young.  That brings a certain "innocence" to your study.  But that's the POINT of "study"-to get from the wonderful feeling of something new,(and usually misrepresented by the authors of the books young people ordinarily choose...), to the WONDROUS feeling of finding where you actually need to be.

As has probably been said,(and if it hasn't, I'm saying it now).

A)  One at a time.  You can't keep your thoughts organized when you have a thousand or two bouncing around your cranium.  Studying for a bunch of classes, while important in this lifetime are not nearly as important as things that will help you to live your life after you complete your coursework.

B)  Remember, some of the paths you'll study are narrow.  It doesn't mean that they're being "closed minded" or "unwelcoming" or "un-inclusive" or any other "negative" issue you can name.  They just are what they are-but are not suited to a "mix-&-match" arrangement, or any more "inclusiveness" than they feel necessary.  Many paths, Wicca included, are of the mindset that if you want to be one of them, you'll do it THEIR way. 

Read our "Wiccan Books" and "Wicca Internet Resource" guides.  Learn which books are "keepers" and which are useless or worse. 
“I’ve come to view Jesus much the way I view Elvis. I love the guy but the fan clubs really freak me out”  ~ John  Fugelsang.
You know that you've created your G-d in your own image and likeness when he hates all the same people as you do.

LouLouSmiles

• Rowan
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2012, 06:07:43 PM »

I think another reason it's important to do things one at a time is because they all start to blend together. Like I've probably proven, I get little details of New Orleans Voodoo and Wicca mixed up sometimes, which precisely proves all of your points to take it one at a time. You're right, I can't fully understand if I'm not putting real, honest effort into it, individually as it deserves. And see, this is exactly why I wanted to join this forum; the loads of information offered, PLUS the honest and intelligent criticisms of some of the bologna literature that's out there will help me sooo much as compared to people trying to start with nothing.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »

Thanks C_A you as usual explained it much better than I. I hope you LLS understand what C_A
( I just love the man) is saying. Our lives give us little time for misunderstandings. Sometmes it's important to Be Silent and Listen. Question when needed and except the answer. The answer
doesn't come sugar-coated.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up