Nuked
Welcome, Guest
October 21, 2014, 05:01:01 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Wiccans Believe in Reincarnation?  (Read 3862 times)

RainDancer

• Fir
Do Wiccans Believe in Reincarnation?
« on: October 03, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

As I've been researching Wicca I've come across a couple of reincarnation theories, but it doesn't seem to be the prevailing theory. I'd like to here from experianced and new Wiccans on their believes.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt- (attributed) Abraham Lincoln

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
Re: Do Wiccans Believe in Reincarnation?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »

Most that I know do.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

I prefer to call it rebirth!

But then again Dragons are eternal!!!  8) 8) 8)
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Just Dave

• Fir
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »

In the "Pagan Q&A" section there's a post (or is it a thread?  I'm not up on the lingo) on reincarnation.  Some pretty interesting takes on the subject.

Personally, I'm still forming my opinion about it.  There have been several people throughout my life who I felt I knew well even though we had just met.  Reincarnation may explain this.  I also sometimes "remember" things that haven't happen in my life time, though this just might be a trick of my mind - like something I read or saw on TV that seems like a real memory to me.  (They say memory is the second thing to go, I forget what the first is.)

If anyone could recommend any books on the subjects of reincarnation and Summerland, I'd greatly appreciate it.

JadeSpawn

• Elm
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »

From all that i have read so far, the belief of reincarnation in one form or another is one of the major beliefs of Wicca
If you don't want to know the answere, don't ask the question.

majesticdoe

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

Personally, I find myself believing in reincarnation but with a stopping point. That point is where we can pass the test to enter into the afterlife, otherwise we're sent into another body for remedial lessons.

Again, that is what I believe. Reincarnation is a purely personal thing, there is no definite yes or no to the question.

JadeSpawn

• Elm
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »

I am still learning, but for now i see it as our spirit continues the cycle of rebirth and death, until it feels content and ready to merge with the All, and join all the other spirits that have reached spiritual enlightenment.

Just Dave

• Fir
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »

From all that i have read so far, the belief of reincarnation in one form or another is one of the major beliefs of Wicca

Not that Scott Cunningham is THE authority on the subject, but he seems to be well respected here (plus, it’s the only reference I have handy at the moment  ;D ).  In Wicca, A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, he says the following:

“As in eastern religions, Wicca also embraces the doctrine of reincarnation. . .”  But then goes on to say, “This isn’t something that should be believed.  Through contemplation, meditation, and self-analysis, many come to the point where they accept reincarnation as fact.”

Later in the book he makes a very good case for reincarnation – in fact, he devotes an entire chapter to the subject - but again, he concludes with, “Until you’ve decided for yourself, you may wish to reflect upon and consider the doctrine of reincarnation.”

So, I guess reincarnation is a “major belief” of Wicca.  But then, so is thinking for oneself.  ;)

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:08 PM »

It must be bourne in mind, that although reincarnation/rebirth is generally accepted within Wicca, it is through choice of the individual, and not because we must as part of following our paths. Each of us must arrive at that defining moment for ourselves, or not as the case may be. Acceptance is a personal thing.

I would suggest, as JD has touched on, that a good bit of time studying this would give you more insight into the subject and possibly bring you closer to your own conclusion.

::Edit to add; I'm not sure I put that over the way I had intended, I think you'll get the gist of what I'm trying to say though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Just Dave

• Fir
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »

Well said, Drac.

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »

My personal belief is that reincarnation isn't a choice - it is an assignment, as was the first birth so will be the many rebirths and also the last life, but you won't know what your last life is (was) until you finally reach the Summerland & have the collective knowledge of all your lifetimes retained within your soul.
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

JadeSpawn

• Elm
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »

Hum, so was i close or way off. i mean i have come to except what i wrote about reincarnation to be true.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 02:33:25 AM »

Hum, so was i close or way off. i mean i have come to except what i wrote about reincarnation to be true.

Again I would say its something for the individual to conclude. There is nothing definitive in the final analysis. We as Pagans accept rebirth as the end of one life and preperation for the next. I couldn't explain the defining moment for myself though, the why's and wherefor's etc.

I would go along with Lucifer. But I also wonder if we continue to rebirth ad infinitum, or is there a point when we go on to summerland and there we remain eventually after reliving so many times. This is what I mean by  definitive.

Whether you were close or not is something you won't find out until its time to find out.

RainDancer

• Fir
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:45:59 AM »

Thank you guys very much for the prompt, concise, and helpful posts.

May The Lady's Light Keep The Darkness at Bay
RainDancer
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt- (attributed) Abraham Lincoln

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 07:46:28 AM »

Thank you guys very much for the prompt, concise, and helpful posts.

May The Lady's Light Keep The Darkness at Bay
RainDancer

Absolutely, Always happy to confuse and confound... ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up