Nuked
Welcome, Guest
November 23, 2014, 01:36:21 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A year and a day question  (Read 471 times)

silverstar1689

• Meṁber
  • Alder
A year and a day question
« on: October 05, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »

I understand that A Year and A Day refers to the time one studies before truly becoming Wicca, having an initiation, etc.
What exactly is needed to do for a year and a day? Anything in particular?  Also, I have the issues of studies for school, which takes up a vast majority of my time.
I'm just really struggling with the year and a day, which I technically started a month ago, but I don't think that the last month "counts," if you will, because of my lack of doing anything other than school work.
Can someone help me?
Love from Tara
Blessed Be )O(

lucifer

• Ash
Re: A year and a day question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »

Oh... A year and a day is the amount of time that a dedicant is supposed to study with a coven before they are offered initiation into said coven. When you're a solitary practitioner a year and a day refers to the amount of time that you're supposed to study before attempting to cast any rits or spells.

Really, it's just a guideline if your a solitary - and it's meant to keep people who are unexperienced and unprepared from making a mess of things by rushing into the spellwork portion of the religion ... not really understanding what harm can come from your spells being cast with an unsure heart or casting certain types of (bad) spells.

If you haven't found the time to do your study... well, I wouldn't recommend attempting spellwork until you're sure what you're doing, but don't discount a month because you couldn't devote 40 hours a week to studying... Just find the time when you have it, but first and foremost...

... FOCUS ON YOUR SCHOOLWORK! Do well in your classes!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:35:45 PM by lucifer »
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »

A year and a day can be quite inspiring. Think of all one can learn, about so many things. There
is no pressure, no push, no pointing in any direction other than the one you want  to go. Questions are answered willingly. I had bo problem with it. I remember it as a wonderful time.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:18 PM »

The year and a day is at most a training period for yourself to see if you want to stick to it . So I will tell you that you will never learn all you can know about the Craft , new things happen everyday , it's a lifetime of learning . You can discover new things of your own making , it's a world of wonder where each second can bring to you something new and surprising.

Magic is what you make of it , think of what you can do , oh the Magic . It can be once a decade , once a year or once ever second , all you have to do is remember is it is MAGIC.

MAGIC IS THE WONDER OF MAGIC , A MAGICAL LIFE IS A LIFE OF MAGIC . BELIEVE IN THE MAGIC AND THE MAGIC WILL MAKE YOU BELIEVE.

And do as Luc said , school work , even in that there is MAGIC.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:28:37 PM by oldghost »
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Just Dave

• Fir
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 07:31:20 PM »

Very sage advice from Lucifer, Marisol and Oldghost.  I agree that while you're in school, school work must take priority, but even though you may not have a lot of time to dedicate to learning about Wicca, you can still pick up a book and read a few pages here and there.  Or even just meditate on your decision to study Wicca.  Understanding why you are interested can teach you a lot about yourself.  There is no rush.  And no time limits, either.  My own "year-and-a-day" took over 30 months.  As Oldghost said, and as I'm finding out myself, it's a lifetime of learning.

Good luck on your journey, Silverstar.  And good luck with your school work, too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up