Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 22, 2014, 10:07:00 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Career Vs. Religion  (Read 726 times)

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
Career Vs. Religion
« on: October 10, 2012, 03:30:14 PM »

Serious question. Though I'm currently unemployed, I'm a roughneck by trade. Meaning that I work on a drilling rig to extract oil and gas from the earth. Is this in contradiction with the wiccan religion?
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

lucifer

• Ash
Re: Career Vs. Religion
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »

Serious question. Though I'm currently unemployed, I'm a roughneck by trade. Meaning that I work on a drilling rig to extract oil and gas from the earth. Is this in contradiction with the wiccan religion?
Destroying the Earth and plundering her resources to make a dollar would probably be something that the Lady and Lord would frown upon...

The problem with these sort of operations is that they tend to do a huge amount of polluting, which to some degree ... well, pollute the air and then get cancer when you breathe? Pollute the water and then get sick when you drink.

However, Wicca doesn't specifically forbid or ban anything - the catch is that you will find yourself buried under the consequences of certain things that you do... And if not in this lifetime, likely in the next (and if you don't believe in reincarnation, think about your children [or potential children])

::EDIT::
If you wanted to counter-balance what you have to do for work & show respect for the Earth, you could always... plant trees on your weekends. Or do volunteer trash pick-up. Or any number of other good things to correct the damage that we (humans) do on a regular basis... Anything which keeps the planet healthy is good to be doing!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:53:46 PM by lucifer »
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »

Thanks. That will definitely be something to look into. I started this career back when I was agnostic. Now it's the only way to pay the bills. I feel trapped between what I think is right and what I have to do.
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 05:27:03 PM »

I think the God and Godess will realise the position your in, and the quandry it poses for you. They'll know your feelings about it and as they are not vengefull will in turn appreciate that you wish to amend in some way, perhaps by giving back in some way.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »

One more think to consider , if you do not do it someone else will , at lease if you do do it you can do it with reverence . How you do things does count . Your life, do the best with it you can .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15:47 PM »

Great advice. Thanks so much.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 06:42:56 PM »

That what were here for .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.
Pages: [1]   Go Up