Nuked
Welcome, Guest
September 30, 2014, 09:00:44 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional Wicca?  (Read 2453 times)

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
Traditional Wicca?
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

Ok, I've used the search function and google and haven't found a satisfactory answer. What exactly is traditional Wicca? Do traditional Wiccans follow a pantheon or do they only recognize the Lord and Lady? I had considered using the Egyptian pantheon. I've always been fascinated with ancient Egypt. But I have a strong connection to the moon. I talk to her every night and tell the Lady how much I love her. Maybe she's all I need. I haven't started practicing magic yet, and this is the first decision I think I need to make. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
Re: Traditional Wicca?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos055.htm

BTW, Gardnerian and Alexandrian are all considered tradtional Wicca, I do believe.

Eta:  I highly recommend the sacred texts site.  Some very good stuff can be found there.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:25:28 PM by Earthbound Spirit »
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »

http://www.sacred-texts.com/bos/bos055.htm

BTW, Gardnerian and Alexandrian are all considered tradtional Wicca, I do believe.

^^^ this ^^^

If you read up about Gerald Gardner, you will find that he founded Wicca as we know it. the tradition has come from his work that has passed down to the covens branching from his Bricketwood Coven. From here you will also find the base for Lineaged Wiccans.

To get the info about traditional Wicca look to him. You'll also find out where he gained his knowledge.

:: ETA; As EBS has pointed out The Sacred Texts are an invaluable source.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

serafina

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:28:38 AM »

I'd be leery of the sacred texts site.  They claim to have Gerald Gardner's Book of Shadows on the site, which is not true. The 'BOS" is a fake and to make this claim is ridiculous.

lucifer

• Ash
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »

I'd be leery of the sacred texts site.  They claim to have Gerald Gardner's Book of Shadows on the site, which is not true. The 'BOS" is a fake and to make this claim is ridiculous.
Hey, serafina! You finally got initiated into a Gardnerian coven?!

Because if not, you're just passing on hearsay... :-p
The day people stop learning is the day they die. Life is one big classroom , from cradle to grave , a place learning is forever , some learn quickly some remain in the same class their entire life.

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 06:47:25 AM »

I haven't visited the site yet. Think I'll check it out today.
Isis: Great Mother of the World. Queen of the Heavens. She whose names are infinite in number.

We all come from the Goddess. And to Her we shall return. Like a drop of rain. Flowing back to the ocean.

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 03:24:09 PM »

I read quite a bit on the sacred text site today. Lots of interesting stuff. Here's a question: are Masons a pagan or christian society? Does anyone know?

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »

I don't think you can call masons either. There are Christians, Muslims, Hindus and even Witches in masonic lodges. Some claim to be Christian but it kind of conflicts with some of the views held by members.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »

So what the heck are masons?

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:30:02 PM »

When it comes right down to it, I think it is an elitist old boys club. But buried in time honoured ritual and ceremony akin to Pagan rites.

There are "certain benefits" one may have access to if you are a mason, and shrouded in secretive goings on. As to what extent it all reaches, I'm afraid I have only the information that any Joe on the street would have.

It has three primary functions: Education, Worship and Charity. They have literature that is satanic or luciferian but no rituals name satan or lucifer, but none of them mention jesus either.

All Masons are required to believe in one God, but that may be satisfied by a hindu believing in Vishnu or a Wiccan believing in the horned god. So "the God" is not necessarily the God of the bible. They therefore offer prayers to GAOTU (Great Architect Of The Universe).

Having said all this, I think some masons believe freemasonary is a religion.

oldghost

• Magnolia
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:34:35 PM »

Depending what you read Masons are said to be decendence and hold of all the knowledge of the Druids , gaurdians of the Templar treasure.

Hold's of the key to levitating stone . They have been creditted with worshipping the acient Egyptian pantheon to the stuffed head of John the baptist .
" You can't catch a shadow and you can't kill a dead man " J.C.F.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

Various theories then OG?!

Edorion

• Oak
  • Honor thy Mother
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »

A few miles up the road is a lodge for The Order of the Eastern Star. Just wish I could be a fly on the wall during one of their meetings.

Looks pagan to me.

serafina

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »

There is a lot of syncretism between Masonry and Paganism at least in their ritual practices.  You'll see lots of things that look and are Pagan to the core.  Masonic ritual also bled over into Wicca big time. It's no wonder a lot of Fundies are dead against it.  At least they see it for what it is, though many Christians are members and don't see a problem with it.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Cedar
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:19 AM »

There is a lot of syncretism between Masonry and Paganism at least in their ritual practices.  You'll see lots of things that look and are Pagan to the core.  Masonic ritual also bled over into Wicca big time. It's no wonder a lot of Fundies are dead against it.  At least they see it for what it is, though many Christians are members and don't see a problem with it.

Which begs the question, why are the Christians so set against Pagans?!  :o ::)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up