Nuked
Welcome, Guest
December 18, 2014, 09:22:32 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I the Only One Here Raised by Atheists?  (Read 836 times)

Scorched Eartha

• Birch
  • Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.
Am I the Only One Here Raised by Atheists?
« on: November 03, 2012, 08:17:18 PM »

My family were what I refer to as "Fundie atheists".  In that all forms of religious affiliation were anathema to them.

Until I was about 8 years old I quite honestly thought Priests were called "Hypocritical psalm singing bastards"; that the people who knocked on your door with copies of the The Watchtower were "Bible Bashers" and that the sole function of nuns was to beat children who didn't know their sums....this was what I heard from home.

But I've noticed that almost everyone else here has some kind of religious background to their family history - some seemingly more strict and some a vague kind of Christianity - but surely I can't be the ONLY one who was raised to think all religion was bollocks and found my way to it alone?
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.

You better take care of me Lord, if you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

The Edge there's no honest way to explain it as the only people who really know where it is have gone over.

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Cedar
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Am I the Only One Here Raised by Atheists?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:47 AM »

:D :D  Looks like it SE, I was brought up a Christian in the Baptist ministry, did the sunday school thing and all the rest of that gubbins. Was even in the youth fellowship where my guitar playing skills were put to use. Got up and sang in front of the congregation and also played in the church football team. We had the occasional weekend away at Christian retreats... blah blah blah...
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »

I was raised as a Methodist but after my grandfather died we only occas. attended services.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.
It's so easy to laugh, It's so easy to hate. It takes guts to be gentle and kind. Morrissey

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »

Up to the age of 12 I was raised in a religious group one step away from Menonite.  They called themselves "holiness".  Pretty much the same but no bonnets.  We were in church Wed. nights, Sat. for youth group, Sun. morning and Sun. evening.  Plus at home we had nightly bible readings.  Any questions that were deemed inappropriate were not answered and usually ended up with a punishment of some sort for the asking.  I learned not to ask certain questions quickly.  We were not allowed to cut our hair, wear jewelry, make up, long pants, shorts or bathing suits.  Dresses and skirts were well below the knee and sleeves above the elbow not allowed.  Television was extremely limited and only certain radio stations allowed.  At the time, I would have loved having my family be athiest.  Looking back, it gave me the insight to what I did not want for my family.   
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 03:25:27 PM »

Up to the age of 12 I was raised in a religious group one step away from Menonite.  They called themselves "holiness".  Pretty much the same but no bonnets.  We were in church Wed. nights, Sat. for youth group, Sun. morning and Sun. evening.  Plus at home we had nightly bible readings.  Any questions that were deemed inappropriate were not answered and usually ended up with a punishment of some sort for the asking.  I learned not to ask certain questions quickly.  We were not allowed to cut our hair, wear jewelry, make up, long pants, shorts or bathing suits.  Dresses and skirts were well below the knee and sleeves above the elbow not allowed.  Television was extremely limited and only certain radio stations allowed.  At the time, I would have loved having my family be athiest.  Looking back, it gave me the insight to what I did not want for my family.   

That's an incredible insight Arn... thanks for sharing.

While I think you'd have to call my family Christians, they weren't Orthodox.  We didn't attend church often.  Because of where we lived, I was generally spending much of my spare time in the woods, fields and streams... I always had the belief that that was my church, and that was where I talked to God... kind of a Paganish Christian. 

For some reason, I always felt that I had no need of a Church, because all of the answers I needed were already inside me, and inside everyone... they only needed to be realized.  I didn't realize then that there's a name for that.

I am not a member of nor do I subscribe to any Christian(or other) religion.  I believe that all religions are control structures.   
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Melannmarie

• Fir
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »

I was raised as a Roman Catholic. Went to church every Sunday with my parents until I was old enough to say I didn't want to go anymore. I'm the youngest of seven children and we all attended Catholic grade school, did our first communion, confession and confirmation yadda yadda yadda.
I discovered this path quite by accident(happy accident) and it has been a revelation. I'm still in transition, old habits and all that...I'm looking at my Christmas tree that is across the room from my Yule Altar. It's a blend of my past and my present.
The earth is our temple, its plants and creatures our partners and teachers---Edain McCoy

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.---Han Solo

Rowanmarie

• Holly
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »

Hmmm I was primarily raised by my dad and he is an athiest believing strictly there is no god. The top terms I heard while growing up were bible thumpers and such. While my step mother being there for most my short lived life is catholic. Not sure about the rest of my family they seem to shy away from religious talk with me but have not said anything opposing my beliefs.
Creativity is the only weapon in the war against reality.
You're not wrong until you say you're right.

Xicked

• Hawthorn
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 01:13:08 AM »

My family wasn't really anything and we didn't talk much about religion or spirituality.  If I had unanswerable questions, my mom would often say, "no one knows."  My Dad said he was Atheist, but didn't didn't try to influence us to his way of thinking.  We celebrated the big Christian holidays, but religion was never a part of it. 
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable." - Albert Einstein

Pure

• Pine
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:55 PM »

I've grown up as an Athiest in secular Britain, with approx 40% of the country now either atheist or agnostic according to the 2011 Census data. Also only 12% of declared Christians actually go to a church. I remember that any 'religious kid' talking about god in the playground would get laughed at. Christianity is declining rapidly over here ever since religious bias was removed from school cirriculum in the 1970's. To put it another way my parents generation is largely agnostic, whereas my generation (20's) is largely athiest. Another 50 years and I believe Christianty will be a minority religion over here :-p

Talking of which last years census data also revealed 59,000 declared Pagans in the UK lol.

I actually spent most of 2011 living in Arizona, one of the biggest culture shocks whilst over there was how seriously Americans take religion and politics. I hope I do not offend anyone with that remark, it's just my observation as an outsider. It must be somewhat difficult growing up in a community whose strong faith you do not share.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. Oscar Wilde

Skyanne

• Fir
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »

I just watched an episode of the Discovery Channel's "The Haunted", where an apparently "atheist" paranormal group went to investigate a house. When the investigators deemed it was a malicious spirit that could cause bodily harm to the living, they told the people there wasn't anything they could do for them. The people moved. I'm sorry but how can you run a paranormal investigation group and not practice spirituality?

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »

I just watched an episode of the Discovery Channel's "The Haunted", where an apparently "atheist" paranormal group went to investigate a house. When the investigators deemed it was a malicious spirit that could cause bodily harm to the living, they told the people there wasn't anything they could do for them. The people moved. I'm sorry but how can you run a paranormal investigation group and not practice spirituality?

Quite easily, actually. People do it all the time, every day, without any problem. My best friend and I have done investigations before, and he is an atheist. Christians do it, and they follow a strict religion, they don't practice spirituality. I guess I'm just saying people can have individual explanations for something, even if it is something you consider spiritual.

But you would know that, eh? It appears you're a necromancer, after all  ;)
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Doom Monkey

• Birch
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 07:27:40 AM »

Just as you don't have to believe in spirits for them to believe in you, one also does not have to believe in deity to believe in spirits.  They are two very different things after all.

An experienced paranormal investigator, no matter what their beliefs, would have known how to banish spirits from a home, if they were truly experienced.  These days they will give a TV show to anyone with a geiger counter and a night vision camera it seems. 
"Tis a human trait to hate one you have wronged" - Seneca
I am responsible for what I write and say. I am not responsible for what you read or understand.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 06:49:18 PM »

I've grown up as an Athiest in secular Britain, with approx 40% of the country now either atheist or agnostic according to the 2011 Census data. Also only 12% of declared Christians actually go to a church. I remember that any 'religious kid' talking about god in the playground would get laughed at. Christianity is declining rapidly over here ever since religious bias was removed from school cirriculum in the 1970's. To put it another way my parents generation is largely agnostic, whereas my generation (20's) is largely athiest. Another 50 years and I believe Christianty will be a minority religion over here :-p

Talking of which last years census data also revealed 59,000 declared Pagans in the UK lol.

I actually spent most of 2011 living in Arizona, one of the biggest culture shocks whilst over there was how seriously Americans take religion and politics. I hope I do not offend anyone with that remark, it's just my observation as an outsider. It must be somewhat difficult growing up in a community whose strong faith you do not share.

Hard not to take politics seriously here, especially with the total tool we have for a President.  I tend to think is more Americans took a more spiritual path, as opposed to a religious one, we'd have a lot less problems.  Too many here practice religion because it's easier than actually thinking. 
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous
Pages: [1]   Go Up