Nuked
Welcome, Guest
May 24, 2016, 12:50:53 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 29000 times)

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2015, 12:08:15 AM »

While not a book this DVD set should hold interest for those starting out .

Women & Spirituality : The Goddess Trilogy . Produced by the National Film Board of Canada . It has 3 disc the first Goddess Remembered : A salute to 35,000 years . Part  The Burning Times and the last part Full circle . A little over 3 hours but you should find it of interest .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Alchymist

• Oak
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2015, 12:27:33 AM »

Hi, og. Yes, that NFBC trilogy has been around for a while, and while it is quite well produced and tells a fascinating tale, I wouldn't rely on it too much for historical accuracy. For instance, in most of Europe, most accused witches and heretics were tried and convicted by secular courts rather than the Inquisition per se; and torture and executions were about as common in Protestant nations as in Catholic countries. Accompanied by a few large pinches of salt, though,  it is perhaps worth watching.

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

Bastet31

• Fir
« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »

Interesting selection of books.

I actually brought two of the books that were recommended on this page e.g. WICCA: A Comprehensive Guide to the Old Religion in the Modern World by Vivianne Crowley (very insightful, a lot of information- so taking my time to process it lol) I also have the book Wicca for beginners: Fundamentals- Thea Sabin. (Still have to read).

I'm still new to Wicca and Witchcraft and would love to gain more knowledge. Can anyone here recommend books which I may find interesting?

Where I live its is very hard to find Local Covens, so will stick to the Solitary Witch Path. I'm really drawn to Egyptian Gods/Goddesses and Celtic Deities. I'm interested in finding out more about mythology relating to Celtic and Egyptian Deities?

I'm also drawn to Earth-based healing (Native American). Would like to find out more about herbs, potions, spells (would probably have to wait awhile yet to get to that stage), Also ceremonial and traditional practises in Wicca and Witch Craft?

I do use the internet for some research but you cannot beat getting lost in a book whilst being transported to a different world etc lol :D

Many thanks and Blessed Be everyone  :) xxx

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #228 on: September 27, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »

So helpful! There are so many books out there, and a lot seem...cheesy? Looking forward to building my library! Thank you!

I've read both Wicca, A Guide for Solitary Practitioners and Living Wicca by Scott Cunningham, and enjoyed both. :)
~There she weaves by night and day~

TheGreenWizard

• Rowan
  • Which way on the Golden Brick Road shall I go?
« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2016, 09:14:33 PM »

Grimassi is not a reliable source for information on Stregheria.
I know I've said this before, but I don't know if it was in this thread. 

Many years ago I coined the phrase "Wicca With Meatballs".  You can just guess my motivation for that.

Italian Folk Magic / Italian Witchcraft have NOTHING to do with W w/M.  Nothing.  There ARE resources for such things "out there", but they take a bit more diligence.   Firstly, having had an Italian family / upbringing / relatives are almost a must.  One needs to understand the dynamic of Italian paese culture - something you don't get from a travelogue or a week's vacation.  Start, for instance, by using the correct term...Stregoneria.  Names such as Solitario, Agostino Taumaturgio, Capravecchio, and Sirena have some fairly good writings "out there".

Some would counter my aspersion by adding that "all info is good info".  To some extent, that is true.  You can glean a nugget or two from any author, even if they are an "auteur".  Even such people as $RW and Fiona Horne have "nuggets" in their rantings...errr..."writings".
Whoops, I did some research on the ways Stregheria and Stregoneria contrast.  It does make more sense that Stregoneria, or Italian folk magic,would be heavily influenced by Catholicism. Stregheria appears to be more Neopagan.
At any rate, Grimassi's take is very new age, so let the reader beware.
Whoops, I did some research on the ways Stregheria and Stregoneria contrast.  It does make more sense that Stregoneria, or Italian folk magic,would be heavily influenced by Catholicism. Stregheria appears to be more Neopagan.
At any rate, Grimassi's take is very new age, so let the reader beware.

"New Age" is being very polite.  There are those that refer to those writings as the self-motivated, systematic rape of Italian culture for personal gain.

This is what I thought. I read through the book, and only a few things popped out at me that were interesting/what I thought were accurate. The rest of was complete hogwash. Unfortunately, bought the book years ago and now can't decide if I want to simply donate it to goodwill. Urgh.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »

Isn't amazing how much more discerning a seeker becomes after a few years?  I had shelves full of Edain McCoy, Silver Ravenwolf, etc. when I was new.    I spent a ton of money,  Most of us grow out of the phase, but not all...
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #231 on: March 29, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »

I have been told many times the book I was reading was a waste of my time. I believe all books hold some worth. It is up to the reader to find it. Book lists can be helpful, due to the fact there are so many books out there. But if I followed the book list only, what might I miss that could have been of use to me?

I place great value on the opinion of our members here. I do not believe they would mislead me in anything. But I can be a stubborn
person and will read the book before I ask for anyone's opinion. But that's just me and we all do things differently.

To read or not to read that is the question! ;D
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2016, 08:59:10 AM »

Isn't amazing how much more discerning a seeker becomes after a few years?  I had shelves full of Edain McCoy, Silver Ravenwolf, etc. when I was new.    I spent a ton of money,  Most of us grow out of the phase, but not all...

It hasn't been years for me, more like year, but I've bought a lot and read a lot of books. What I've noticed looking back on notes I made while reading, is how my opinions and thoughts have changed.

Ashe, I believe you told me in one of my firsts posts how this would probably happen, but for example even the word "prayer" made me go "Ugh. Eew!" at first, and now I pray pretty often, and think about the whole process very differently...but it's wonderful to feel like I'm finding my way rather than being told "This is the way." Much more enjoyable experience! :)
~There she weaves by night and day~

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
  • What you think about, you bring about!
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2016, 06:02:36 AM »

I sure wish we had a like button. I agree with you LadyOfShalott. I, to, have spent a ton of money on books and other things. To learn everything I can. I am finding what is in the books is a lot of the same thing only written in a different way. So I have decided I am going to just be lead by spirit, and allow the energy to lead me to what is next for me. I think it is time for the experience to show me what and where to go from here. Don't get me wrong, everyone on here has been very helpful and I am very grateful for all the wonderful advise that has been shared. I just think its time for me to figure out what is for me and what isn't.

I have already figured out this path is where I am supposed to be. My family has accepted the decisions I have made and for the most part are supporting me. Still having a hard time going out to my circle after the long day is over, the work is all done. Its like everyone is saying in another post, I have got to push through it.

I do what to thank everyone on here for your support. When ever I come on here I get the boost I am needing. It's a great family to belong to.

Blessed Be! MW
Blessed Be!

Alchymist

• Oak
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #234 on: April 06, 2016, 12:52:18 AM »

There are a great many books on Wicca and Witchcraft, and it's unfortunately true that many authors simply read each other's books and repeat what they've read - even, occasionally, repeating each other's mistakes - so there tends to be a depressing sameness about so many of them ..... this isn't to say they're not worth reading, though. Most of them have some useful information to impart, something that you perhaps won't find anywhere else. But when you've moved ahead a bit beyond the basics, much can also be found in books that are not directly about Wicca or Witchcraft.

I've recently been reading a book called "Yoga and the Quest for the True Self," by Stephen Cope (Bantam, New York, 1999); it is a more or less autobiographical account of the author's (supposedly) four month sabbatical at the Kripalu yoga centre in New England which turned into a ten-year stay. At the end of his time there the centre imploded when it was discovered that the Guru, who insisted on celibacy for his students, was having affairs with female staff and students ...... There is, however, much wisdom between the book's covers, wisdom that can be applied to areas other than yoga - and, I think, to our own area.

It is of the utmost importance that teachers not be deified. Nothing undermines the potential of an environment to be truly transformational more than a teacher who is seen to be perfect, all-knowing, or "the ultimate authority". In the best transformational spaces, even brilliant, charismatic or truly enlightened teachers are understood to be explorers and guides, not gods ... even these powerful guides are understood to be transitional. They must, finally, set us free to be ourselves.

The best transformational environments avoid telling us who we are. Rather, they  support us in finding out who we are for ourselves.
                                                       (Pages 30-31; bolding added)
"Liberation, in the Tantric traditions, is gained not through renunciation, but through entering fully into the play ... of energy and consciousness.

The candidate for wisdom does not seek a detour by which to circumvent the sphere of the passions - crushing them within himself and shutting his eyes to their manifestations without, until, made clean as an angel, he may safely open his eyes again to regard the cycle of samsara [i.e., the normal cycle of birth, life and death] with the untroubled gaze of a disembodied apparition. Quite the contrary: the Tantric hero ... goes directly through the sphere of greatest danger"

[Quoting Heinrich Zimmer, "Philosophies of India," Princeton 1951]
                                                      (Page 56; bolding added)

This last part, I feel, could just as easily apply to the aspiring Witch as to the "Tantric hero"; ideally, the Witch seeks to interact directly with the world around him or her, rather than trying to seek some kind of Nirvana-like detachment.

Blessed Be everyone - witches and Tantrics alike,

Alchymist.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:01:07 AM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

oldghost

• Cedar
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #235 on: April 10, 2016, 12:25:52 AM »

The last few years I have been getting more into the archeological research into early European records and that of the early aspect of old world magic and it's relationship to those of the practices and there interrelationship to that of the so called new world . It's almost like going back to college again but at my own study pace . Have to start writing up a paper
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up