Welcome, Guest
February 18, 2018, 06:23:46 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thou Art Goddess. Thou Art God.  (Read 1963 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Thou Art Goddess. Thou Art God.
« on: August 29, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »

This phrase has become commonplace in public rituals, and practically a requirement in some pagan traditions. It's especially common during cakes and ale. I'm curious  if TCC members are comfortable or put off by this phrase.

To the best of my knowledge this was borrowed from Robert Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land several decades ago by the founders of CAW.  But its later adoption by Wiccans, Eclectics and Dianics is telling.

What do you think this phrase means? Does it mesh well with your pagan beliefs or not?
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Thou Art Goddess. Thou Art God.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »

Not sure what it means , different people can have it mean different things . To me it seems to be saying you can be more then what you are to go beyond the average to a higher level ( in this case ) awareness .

Personality to me it sound a little silly .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »

Not sure what it means , different people can have it mean different things . To me it seems to be saying you can be more then what you are to go beyond the average to a higher level ( in this case ) awareness .

Personality to me it sound a little silly .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 11:30:32 AM »

To me, it's a validation of my core beliefs.  I believe in universal connection.  In a Christian sense, I view being "made in the image" as a statement that within me lies the spark (image/soul) of the divine, which is interconnected with everything else.

What I find interesting, is at the Quantum level, there appears to be no uniqueness between what is alive and what is not... all things eventually break down to exactly the same particle, the Higgs boson which some have deemed the "God particle".

To me, it says that we need to feed on what we have in common rather than argue about our differences, because this infers that at our most basic level we are all the same, and there are no differences, regardless of what we may or may not believe.

Simply, to me, it says, "It's all good..."
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »

I have often said that we are all "Star Stuff"; It's a quote that comes from Babylon 5 but it rings true when you think about it.

"The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out. And, as we have both learned, sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective."
A Distant Star

Babylon 5 is one of my top favourites, Delenn (Mira Furlan) is one of my favourite characters too. Much of what she says is very enlightening.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:25:56 PM »

I have often said that we are all "Star Stuff"; It's a quote that comes from Babylon 5 but it rings true when you think about it.

"The molecules of your body are the same molecules that make this station and the nebula outside, that burn inside the stars themselves. We are star-stuff. We are the Universe, made manifest, trying to figure itself out. And, as we have both learned, sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective."
A Distant Star

Babylon 5 is one of my top favourites, Delenn (Mira Furlan) is one of my favourite characters too. Much of what she says is very enlightening.

Yep... all the heavier elements like gold were created in the supernova of a star.  Every element was created shortly after the big bang as the universe grew and expanded, stars were born, then flared into supernovas, creating heavier and heavier elements.   
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 06:33:50 AM »

I use it.  To be put off by it denies the tenets of Wicca.

Aye, of "star stuff" we ARE made, but we're speaking of the Spiritual, here.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 06:00:58 AM »

I see no problem with using "Thou art Goddess. Thou art God."  To me it means we are all one with the Goddess and God. We all possess a divine spark. None more important than the other. We stand together as one.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »

I believe the greeting, in its present form, does indeed come from Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land", as Ashe says; it was popularized by the Church of All Worlds, which was inspired by Heinlein's book, and then entered the general Pagan consciousness almost by osmosis (and perhaps through the CWA magazine "Green Egg", which was widely read by the Pagan community outside the CWA until it stopped publication in 2000; I believe it is still available as an E-zine at greeneggzine.com).

It is similar in intent to the Sanskrit greeting Namaste,
"an ancient Sanskrit greeting still in everyday use in India and especially on the trail in the Nepal Himalaya. Translated roughly, it means "I bow to the God within you", or "The Spirit within me salutes the Spirit in you" - a knowing that we are all made from the same One Divine Consciousness."

(From http://urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Namaste )

Our Pagan groups here in the Okanagan Valley almost all use it as the cakes and wine are being passed around the circle. Each offers the cup of wine, or plate of cakes, to his/her partner, with the words "May you never thirst" or "May you never hunger", as appropriate; the partner then replies "Thou art God/dess."

Blessed Be everyone,

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 09:42:06 AM »

I see no problem with using "Thou art Goddess. Thou art God."  To me it means we are all one with the Goddess and God. We all possess a divine spark. None more important than the other. We stand together as one.

I agree!

"We are stardust
We are golden" ~ Joni Mitchell
Pages: [1]   Go Up