Welcome, Guest
February 20, 2018, 11:36:56 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you properly\formally greet a fellow wiccan?  (Read 8956 times)

Firefox

• Fir
  • "give" said the little stream 🌊
how do you properly\formally greet a fellow wiccan?
« on: September 25, 2015, 05:04:38 PM »

Greetings   ;D

Is there a unique way to say hello to a fellow Wiccan? Just from the few posts I have read, I have noticed some of you greeting each other with "merry meet" "blessed be" and so on..... just curious, wondering if there is a special meaning for that and if there is a special behavior between each other ... a unique culture just for wiccans...

Always seeking,
Firefox

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: how do you properly\formally greet a fellow wiccan?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 06:38:58 AM »

Depends on if you know them or just meet them . Hugs work for most of those that are friends unless it is a formal gathering . Then there are also signs when or if you do not want other near by to know about yourself .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »

Many times, if it is obvious, (by virtue of clothing / jewelry or the like), I will say "Merry Meet".  Other times, (such as in a business environment), I will compliment their necklace / ring / whatever.

Please note:  I am relocating this post to the "Wiccan Q&A" section.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Firefox

• Fir
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 11:47:58 PM »

Ok seems simple enough, pay a little attention. I generally read people fairly fell. Small little details, and just watching there reactions to others. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll have the opportunity to merry great someone of grate importance.. may they be of the craft or not.  I am grateful for your help.   I wish for many blessings to come your way.

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
  • What you think about, you bring about!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 06:46:31 AM »

Depends on if you know them or just meet them . Hugs work for most of those that are friends unless it is a formal gathering . Then there are also signs when or if you do not want other near by to know about yourself .
og, I have heard this about the unique signs given to others when you greet. After looking and trying to find out more about these. I have to admit, there isn't a thread or post on TCC or the internet that will tell me what they are. Would you please explain this or at least tell us where we can go to find them? I would like to know what they are so if someone uses them to greet me I will know what's going on. Thanks in advance! MW
Blessed Be!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »

For a male to show he is one he will take one hand and fold his two middle fingers and thumb so only the index and little finger are raised touch the hand to the fore head it symbolizes horns . The female will cup her hand or hands into a crescent shape as a symbol of the Moon or she will place both hands together forming a full Moon . Another way is standing with ones feet apart and hands on hips elbow pointed outwards forms the five points of the star . Covens can have their own symbols for members only . If sitting you can tap your chest over your heart three times .

Others that I have come across are cover your pentacle on a necklace or ring and slow uncovering it to show that you are hidden from outers but open to those of the same ilk . Don't know about Wicca but in Shamanism hands held together and then folded open like pages on a book means you wish to talk of special things .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:56:23 AM »

og, thank you for the explanation. I have been wondering about this for a long time. Now to remember them. Don't think it will be to difficult. Thanks again! BB!
Blessed Be!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »

This is one that I have notice more frequently among those that are of a Wiccan nature and Goth styling is have the palm of the hand tattooed with a Pentacle . When I asked a friend who is one , she told me it lets others know that they are true to the ways of Magic . Good thing she works for herself , at her age and dress she'd find it hard to get a job . Nice Lady .

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »

I usually look for signs, such as jewelry or clothing. Then looking into a person's eyes and smiling is sometimes enough.

I have a small wheel of the year tatoo on the back of my neck and I have been asked if I follow the wheel of the year.
I think "Merry Meet" is an excellent way to greet someone. "Blessings" is well known. It may well just depend upon the
situation. :)
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »

I make my own jewelry, so I can put on it what I love. It amazes me how many people who I know are not of the Craft, comment on my jewelry. Oh, if they only knew! hehehehe. I like the idea of "Blessings" or "Merry Meet". I'm sure it will throw some people off by saying it. But it would be interesting to see their reactions.

Have a wonderful Samhain everybody! Blessed Be! MW
Blessed Be!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 06:52:57 AM »

"Merry Meet"
"Merry Part"
"And Merry Meet Again"
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 06:43:26 AM »

"Merry Meet"
"Merry Part"
"And Merry Meet Again"
;D
Blessed Be!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »

"Merry Meet"
"Merry Part"
"And Merry Meet Again"

;D

Seriously! That's greeting and parting the Wiccan way.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Firefox

• Fir
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 03:17:26 PM »

Wow I never new there were hand signals to identify yourself. I'll have to look into that some more. I don't think there are to many others around me though. I feel like a solitary practitioner, just the way I like it, that is until I come on this site and feel somewhat connected to all of you... in a small way I feel like this site has a family vibe. Thank you for all your help.

The knowledge that I have been given lets me feel sorry for those of other religions, simply because when I belonged to one of them I always seamed to feel inadequate and unworthy to be there. There seamed to be so many walls.. things I was not allowed to do... just simply holding me back... but now I feel like I have been set free from all of that. I don't need someone telling me how to life my life....    Life is full of consequences and there are always good and bad outcomes to every action we take. I try and strive for a higher living and being, to care more about others then I do myself... and yes I take time for myself. without time to discover ourselves we can never truly know our true poetical.   

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 05:36:44 PM »

The better you take care of yourself , the  better able you will be to help others . We do try to be family here . Welcome home ...........
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up