Welcome, Guest
August 20, 2018, 04:52:36 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Staff  (Read 2345 times)

Canis

• Ash
Staff
« on: October 04, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »

A few days ago I was in the wood shop at work during my break, and as I was leaving I noticed an oak branch leaning in the corner by the door. As I saw it, the image of a staff with a crystal fixed on top flashed into my mind. The co-worker that found it was planning to use it as a walking stick, but as there's plenty more in the area they're clearing he said I could have it. I don't know what kind of crystal I'm going to use yet (still need to do some research and meditation on it), my question is how do I attach the crystal to the end of the staff?

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Staff
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »

Limited by your own imagination matey....LoL

Carve a rebate into the top of the staff, perhaps in a clutch then ease the crystal in.

Glue it into place.

Use copper wire to create a mount for it.

As you can see, there are a multitude of ways to do this. Try just sitting and looking at the staff and the crystal for a while and see what pops to mind. The wood itself may lend an idea.

If there's something significant about either of these items there may be the hint as to how. Size comparison between the crystal and the staff, Does the grain waver near the top? (a hint where to carve). consider all the aspects and see how they fit together in your minds eye
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:34:17 PM »

Thanks. As of yet, I haven't bought the crystal. Want to research and meditate on it a bit first. I think I found a place in town to by the crystal from. visited a little knick-knack shop on the other side of town yesterday. Amongst the assortment of stuff in the store they had a fairly large variety of crystals to choose from.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 06:26:54 PM »

Then study your staff and decide what might fit. Maybe even take a pic of it to have with you when you choose the crystal. Maybe one will stand out....
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »

....... my question is how do I attach the crystal to the end of the staff?

If the diameter of the crystal is smaller than the staff, drill a hole in the end of the staff - slightly smaller than the measurement across the stone's edges. It should be a reasonably easy push fit. Secure it with glue; I use medium-viscosity cyanoacrylate (also known as "Krazy Glue") for this kind of work, but epoxy or good old carpenter's white glue, "Titebond, "Weldbond" or similar, will also work just as well, and is cheaper and easier to use (it doesn't stick your fingers together instantly).

If the crystal is of larger diameter than the staff, drill your hole and then make two saw cuts at right angles lengthways along the staff, for perhaps 4-6 inches depending on the relative sizes of staff and crystal, so what you have is essentially a claw setting. Push the crystal into the claw so that the prongs of the claw spread out to hold the crystal, with a drop or two of glue for security, then bind everything together with brass or copper wire, or heavy cotton or linen thread - or even glittery Christmas ribbon.

That's how I'd do it anyway; have a think, and you might come up with an even better way. Good luck, and post some pics of the finished staff!

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

Alces Alces

• Cypress
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:19 AM »

If you have the means to drill a hole into the crystal, that would give it more holding power too.

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »

The claw idea is something I was seriously considering, although...I was thinking of carving a socket in the end of the staff to set the crystal into and securing it with glue, then gluing thin branches along the side like fingers. But you're way sounds like it would be more secure. I'm glad you mentioned the glue, I was gonna ask what was the best to use.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 06:27:19 PM »

If you decide to carve a claw or clutch, when you're satisfied with it, soak it or heavily steam it for a while to let the wood go supple. You will then find it easier to insert your crystal, and when it dries out it will clutch more securely.

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »

Thanks, I'll do that.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »

Get a piece of oak and carve it into the shape of a eagle talon foot and have it hold the crystal . You can use museum putty to hold it in place , it's clear and will not mare the crystal . Or use a small led light embedded in the top to light up the crystal ( look cool especially if it has a pulse or flicker effect to it ) boooo..................................
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1]   Go Up