Welcome, Guest
August 18, 2018, 01:19:43 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ok, I'm confused! Charge of the Goddess and Witches Chant  (Read 1669 times)

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
Ok, I'm confused! Charge of the Goddess and Witches Chant
« on: October 05, 2015, 11:33:41 AM »

Ok: I'm hearing communication with any deity takes A LOT of research, study and thought. This makes perfect sense to me.

You don't just call on them to do your bidding, but that's exactly what it sounds like you'd be doing reading Doreen Valiente's Witches Chant!

"Darksome night and shining Moon,
Hell’s dark mistress Heaven’s Queen
Harken to the Witches’ rune,
Diana, Lilith, Melusine!
Queen of witchdom and of night,
Work my will by magic rite.
Earth and water, air and fire,
Conjured by the witch’s blade,
Move you unto my desire,
Aid ye as the charm is made!
Work my will by magic rite.

In the earth and air and sea,
By the light of moon or sun,
As I pray, so mote it be.
Chant the spell, and be it done!
Work my will by magic rite."

"Work my will" That doesn't seem like asking to me...Am I wrong?  :-[

And it also sounds like she saying all goddesses are one goddess. She's calling to multiple names, and does the same in The Charge of the Goddess.

"Listen to the words of the Great Mother, who was of old also called Artemis; Astarte; Diana; Melusine; Aphrodite; Cerridwen; Dana; Arianrhod; Isis; Bride; and by many other names.
Whenever ye have need of anything, once in a month, and better it be when the Moon be full, then ye shall assemble in some secret place and adore the spirit of me, who am Queen of all Witcheries."

But I've heard people say as Wiccan's they follow specific deities, and they're not all aspects of one! But Valiente was Wicca! Help! Are the Goddess and God many or one in Wicca? "Great Mother" sounds like the complete quilt of the Goddess, if you will,  and all her names are the various fabrics...

I do love the ending of the Charge:

"And thou who thinkest to seek for me, know thy seeking and yearning shall avail thee not, unless thou know this mystery: that if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee, thou wilt never find it without thee.
For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning; and I am that which is attained at the end of desire."

A lot of "thees" and "thous," but the idea that with enough searching I'll find the answer within is reassuring, but I'd love input here!

~The Incessant Question Asker, Lady~
~There she weaves by night and day~

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
Re: Ok, I'm confused! Charge of the Goddess and Witches Chant
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »

The Witches' Rune is a power raising chant meant more to activate the witches' own inner power than to command.

Wiccans differ in whether they are soft or hard polytheists, both among Traddies and Neopagans,  "Aunt Doreen" was indeed a Wiccan but she was also worked with Robert Cochrane and some other witches who were not Wiccan.  You can see some blend in her books and especially in her poetry.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:00:36 AM »

The Witches' Rune is a power raising chant meant more to activate the witches' own inner power than to command.

Wiccans differ in whether they are soft or hard polytheists, both among Traddies and Neopagans,  "Aunt Doreen" was indeed a Wiccan but she was also worked with Robert Cochrane and some other witches who were not Wiccan.  You can see some blend in her books and especially in her poetry.

Good to know. Thanks for bearing with me! :)

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »

I don't believe we can command the God or Goddess, it's always best to be respectful. To ask for their presence is enough. They have
always been there for me I have most often always received what I needed.

I love the Witches Chant and the Charge of the Goddess,they are quite lovely and bring the mysteries closer to my way of thinking.
The Great Mother has many names, as does the God and Goddess. I reach out to the one that is appropriate.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 08:24:02 AM »

I don't believe we can command the God or Goddess, it's always best to be respectful. To ask for their presence is enough. They have
always been there for me I have most often always received what I needed.

I love the Witches Chant and the Charge of the Goddess,they are quite lovely and bring the mysteries closer to my way of thinking.
Marisol, that's just what I thought, but the chant seemed demanding to me, so I wondered what other people thought about it.

The Great Mother has many names, as does the God and Goddess. I reach out to the one that is appropriate.
I also felt this was the case, too, but I've heard differing opinions. As Ashe pointed out some of Aunt Doreen's poetry was influenced by non-Wiccan witches! (Say that 3 times fast ;) )

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 12:48:10 PM »

Non-Wiccan witches are everywhere, so it seems normal they would influence such things. Wiccans are after all witches. Many
witches find their workings influenced by some Wiccan beliefs. Being solitary allows for a more individual path. Many beliefs from
many paths can be woven together quite successfully by a solitary. This is what brings us all together. We may not always agree,
but our minds are open to new ideas.

BB
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain
Pages: [1]   Go Up