Welcome, Guest
February 20, 2018, 11:38:26 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Therianthropy  (Read 5447 times)

KittyKat

• Rowan
  • "I'm not lazy. I'm just very relaxed." -Anon :P
Therianthropy
« on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:23 PM »

I recently read a thing that was talking about therians and otherkin and I'm not quite sure what to make of them. Any thoughts about them? From what I've taken from this website otherkin are bad (in a sense of fluff and fad/wannabe's) but I can't seem to find anything anywhere about Therians. I'm really confused by all of this and I wanted to know what people thought of these.

If being a Therian is a real and accepted thing here, is there anyone who is one and how did you find out? This just seems really interestingn and I'm trying to make sense of everything I'm reading.
"If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Lewis Carroll

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Therianthropy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »

Therians are people that believe they are anime characters come to life or some idiot nonsense . Otherkin are monkey like people it'sa all a bunch of bull for teeny people that can face the real world . Just my opinion .

Monkey see , monkey do act like a monkey and the monkey is you ( sticking out tongue ) .

If you come across something that makes no sense , then it is most likely something that is senseless . There is some much crap floating around out there it's hard for people to weed out the junk from the truth .

You have and advantaged over them , you have us ( Smile ) .

Your friends at TCC ..................................
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 12:27:45 AM »

Mythological shapeshifters! It was mythology that certain people could morph into other creatures. It's also partially where legends of Werewolves come from.

Definitely listen to OG.... :D
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

smoogoo

• Pine
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 09:05:25 PM »

My thoughts are if any therianthropy did ever exist my guess is that they would have all died out by now . . . . . . . Some Asian groups would pay big money in order to eat a shape shiftier others believe that their bodies would provide many medical breakthroughs, the reality is the world is to small now days and not a nice place to be living if you are an mythological endangered species :-(
Live Love Laugh Learn !

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 12:01:29 AM »

"Therianthrope" seems to be a catch-all term referring to humans that are able to change, or believe themselves able to change, wholly or partly into other animals - intentionally or inadvertently. Werewolves are perhaps the widest-known type in mythology and legend, though werebears and weredeer, and even werefalcons and were-eagles, have also been commonly reported. The "Were" part of the name simply means "man", and is most likely from the same root as the Latin "vir".

The word "Therianthrope" is a combination of the Greek words "therion" which means "beast", and "anthropos", meaning "human".

From http://therianthropyresearchgroup.weebly.com/what-is-therianthropy.html :
Therianthropy refers to the experience of human bodied individuals identifying as non-human animals. This identity is frequently associated with spiritual and psychological experiences and behaviours reported by the therian. The animal which the individual identifies as is the person's 'theriotype', and is usually considered an 'earthly' animal, one that has existed on this planet at some time during its history. An individual's theriotype is not willingly chosen, and may change throughout the therian's lifetime.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therianthropy :
Therianthropy is the mythological ability of human beings to metamorphose into animals by means of shapeshifting. It is possible that cave drawings found at Les Trois Frères, in France, depict ancient beliefs in the concept. The most well known form of therianthropy is found in stories concerning werewolves.

The Wikipedia article also gives the examples of the swan-maidens, or Valkyries, of Norse mythology; then there's the Scottish legend of the Silkie, or Selkie, a mythical being that changes from man (or woman) into a seal:

I am a man upon the land,
                I am a Selkie on the sea;
              And when I'm far away from land,
                My hame it is in Sule Skerry.

Folklore reports that if a man finds a Selkie maiden on shore that has cast off her seal skin, if he finds the seal skin and hides it away the seal maiden might consent to become his wife - and female Selkies are supposed to be ethereally beautiful. The marriage usually ends badly, though; the seal maiden ashore becomes increasingly restless until her husband takes pity on her and restores her seal skin - whereupon she swims away never to be seen again - or returns after many years to claim her children and morph them into Selkies, whereupon they all swim away together......

The moral of this tale seems to be - avoid becoming too emotionally attached to a Therianthrope. Perhaps Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) are a present day North American example of a Therianthrope?

Blessed Be everyone: humans and werecreatures,

Alchymist.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:25:01 AM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 06:42:49 AM »

Sasquatch are not Were-beast of any sort . They are a very old species that evolution has by-passed . They are long lived and slow to breed .

In the Asian areas you are more likely to come across Were-Foxes and Were-Swans .

Mythological being ? where have they gone . If humans can change in other forms can not other forms change into humans ?.
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

smoogoo

• Pine
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »

In the Canada and the US we have been using satellites to do wildlife population counts since that late 90's. When the satellites do there pass if they catch humans in a secluded area that information is past on the search and rescue in the event that information is needed.
Live Love Laugh Learn !

KittyKat

• Rowan
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 01:26:24 PM »

Oh wow, so many people have commented! Sorry for taking so long to respond I've been sick and my grandmother is teaching me how to sew!! :3 So og, you believe that they don't exist and it's purely mythological and anyone who says otherwise is either looney or looking for attention (me paraphrasing, haha!). And Alchy you believe that they could possibly exist? Am I getting this right? >.< Or am I misunderstanding? And Drac you say to listen to og and Smoogoo.... I'm not quite sure what you're saying, sorry! o.o
"If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 04:46:46 PM »

OG said:
"If you come across something that makes no sense , then it is most likely something that is senseless ."

And there are many things that we imbue with energy that are exactly that.  Very sage dude.  Not all things have a discernible reason we can ever hope to understand.  Understanding that can save a lot of needless analytical energy and questioning. 
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 05:53:16 PM »

KittyKat , you miss understand me . I do believe they exist , you do understand that is humans ( churchee's  that have pound in the brainwashed minds of the sheep ) that say's the are mythical not us . I live with a few mythological being for a few years a long time ago . Before you ask it was in a mountainous area where few people ever go .

Humans have a bad habit that if the see something with their minds eye closed they call it a hallucination , after all we all know Dragon aren't real ( grin ) . If we can't see it feel it or kill it then it is not . Smoogoo talked about the satellites watching they work unless your body temperature is the same as the ambient temperature of your surroundings . Humans are finding that out , for years the military has been developing cold suits to defeat thermos imagers . We don't know everything about all things and if you think on it we know very little we just think we know a lot .Some of the people with minds that are closed are scientist . If it doesn't fit what they believe then it doesn't exist .

Humans do have a habit of embellishing things , does a unicorn really have a single horn growing from the center of it's head . When you see one let me know okay .

KittyKat

• Rowan
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »

I must say I come from a very close minded family and as I've said many times they're also very Christain... So sorry if my ignorance is overwhelming. I try to be open minded about everything but sometimes my "roots" show! :P Were they Fae that you lived with? Or was it something more? So people who see their souls as non-human are Therians and they do exist. Just making sure I have this down. Couldn't everyone's souls be something other than human though? Because we all have traits of every animal in a sense so does that mean we're all Therians but only those who understand and get in touch with their spirit are called that?

Wow science has come very far, I didn't know that was actually a thing! So if it isn't a hallucination then it's a vision, right? What about when people take drugs that cause them to "hallucinate?" Are they really hallucinating or are they seeing different realities and otherworldly beihgs?

Should I see a unicorn I'll take a mental picture and tell you about it later on! I'll even tell it you say hi if I get the chance!! XD

Sorry I have so many questions. They never seem to end with me, haha!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »

The more question your ask the more answer you get , when you stop asking question then you have given up , don't give up .

What one sees when doing drugs can be really there or just your mind seeing what it makes up itself . You can never trust what you see when your not in control of your own mind . Ones Spirit self is different then a normal animal form , your spirit form is one of energy not solid matter .

I don't think that seeing ones soul makes one a Therian but that only apply to those that can really shapeshift . Acting like and animal or taking on it's treats does not make yo physically and animal .

They were of the Sidhe , a family of four .

KittyKat

• Rowan
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »

That's good. I was worried I'm annoying everyone by all the questions I have. >.<

So Therians can physically change shape then. I think I'm getting it now. XD

Sidhe? I'll have to look them up, I've never heard of those.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »

Real name of what you call the Fae . They don't like that name and they really hate the being called fairies . There are Fairies but their not the same species as the Sidhe .  To many people place all the different species under one name and the others don't like it . Never call a Pixie a Dryad if you want to keep your eyes in your head .

KittyKat

• Rowan
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »

I obviously have a lot to learn about.... Mythological creatures(?). I mean they aren't myths so... Gah I don't know what to call anything anymore! I like my eyes in my head so I better start studying!!  ;D

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up