Welcome, Guest
May 21, 2018, 03:42:35 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Therianthropy  (Read 6378 times)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Therianthropy
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »

Does give one pause for thought on what some of the older God/dess were , were they animals in human form or humans in animal form or part of each at the same time . Where they , their form or one worn just for us . Does not seem that the forms were to frighten us , and did those forms represent their part in nature or because they were something that early people were familiar with in the areas they lived . Could that be the reason why when one finds peoples worshiping the same God/dess in different areas they appear somewhat different for what they are like in areas that may not have the same type of animal living there or they could be different as in size or length of hair and colour ?.

An what about colour , does it play an important role . Those of you who no about the Native Americans know that white coloured animals are ones of great power . We have the White Buffalo , the White Deer , and the White Wolf . On the east coast if ones see a white squirrel it means a good harvest . A white deer can lead you safely home , a white wolf will aide you in times of danger . What of the other colours , a blood wolf ( red coloured ) means you will come to great harm , you should never follow a red bird in the woods . A red(ish) bears is a warning of great danger in pain in the near future etc..
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »

I can see Al has given considerable thought to the comparative metaphor of our cartoon characters offered up as therianthropes. Indeed to carry this forward, consider the cartoons where the characters are all humanoid but have a creature as part of their company who can think talk and act with human characteristics and traits, as example we have Scooby Doo. Then there are the half human half feline characters of the Thundercats who have Snarf as their companion creature. It's amusing to consider the comparisons, what was the thinking behind such inclusions?

And with the thought of Gods and their changes as OG illustrates, consider the fable of Leda and the Swan; Zeus turned himself into a swan to seduce Leda (the dude was a bit of a lush with the ladies of course). From her it was said was born Helen and Polydeuces of Greek legend.

To briefly step back a moment; trying to count Dragons is like herding cats. Because of there being so many, it would be difficult to quantify. Take the Chinese for instance or Japanese, they have a Dragon for every occasion (most particularly the elements - guardians perhaps? did they think that way?). Then you have every country and every culture all having their own versions of Dragons. Some with four legs and wings some with two, some that are snake or serpent like and also a very few with no wings at all. Next we can imagine the Dragons of fiction; epitomising what we fear in some cases and what we admire in others. The Dragons of Anne McCaffreys Pern books, they are of different colours which denotes their standing in each weyr; brown, green, blue with ranking Dragons being the colours of precious metals. There was also a white Dragon who was thought to be a runt because of his small stature, but turned out to be really quite a special Dragon after all.

Many believed that Dragons can transform themselves into human form, taking on the characteristics and frailties of humans; These are very beautiful people of course; there are again comparisons to these beliefs as to what Draconic characteristics are retained in human form.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 08:50:46 PM »

Does give one something to think about . Do think this tale is one that is world wide( with local variations ) . My Great- great grandmother told this to me ,, that at one time all things that lived could speak a single language but one humans . Taking pity on the humans a hound taught them how to speak and as punishment for what the hound had done that all of his kind where cursed to forever be at his side and not allowed to range free anymore . The curse can only be lifted when humans teach another species to speak their language .

Then again are there not certain animals that can confuse the minds of those that are sick on unstable . Coyote and Raven do enjoy doing it . Got me to thinking about Berkowitz and how his neighbors dog told him to kill . There was one from I believe upstate New York in the 50's where the mans horse told him to kill his wife .

Just because their cute and cuddly does mean their nice , what about Puss-in Boots ; a bipedal cat with a sword now that's dangerous .

Drac , would you then classify Wyvern as a subspecies of dragons or a different species all together ?. Dose that also cover flying snakes that have no limbs like the Olmec and Mayan feather serpent ?.
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Aunt Thora

• Cypress
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 07:31:40 AM »

Very interesting read ....

I can't say one way or the other what is true or not.  As I have seen a few things, that when I mention was scorn at for so I jsut keep my mouth shut and listen and watch. 

We have a farmer who leases the land here and has for many years.  He has told us that he has spotted big foot a couple of times.  He is the type that most people respect in the area.  He has share this with a few others and of course in a small town things get around.  What I find kind of amazing is no one disputes him.  We also had a visitor that claims he had seem big foot as well.  I have lived her for about 8 years now and have gone for many walks and not seen any thing and that is very good by me.  If I do spot one will just wave and go about my way. Unless it is hurt then I will have to stop and do what I can to help.

Alchymist I too would be very interested in hearing your story about the dragon

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 05:12:20 PM »

You'll get no scorn from any here . For all we know Sasquatch could be territorial and like a bear or cougar that territory could cover hundred of mile . They may only be in certain area do to food supplies . A lot of research has shown that they follow herds of deer , different seasons can bring out berries or mushrooms . River runs of fish are seasonal also .

What the farmer plants could be another food source for them . Several years ago up on the Olympic peninsula a group of women went in search of Sasquatch , they tried different things to attract one . Dancing , sings , laughing etc. The only group that believe one camp into their camp at night was the group that worn no perfume . Make that what you may , scent of perfume could be something that act like and alarm to them . Take a shower with unscented soap and wear no perfume see if you can attract one that way .

Good to hear from you , do hope all is going well with you Aunt Thora , enjoy your upcoming holiday .

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2015, 12:51:02 AM »

Quote from KittyKat, October 26th 2015:
I understand now, Alchy. I really want to hear this Dragon story! I love stories ^^

Right, my dragon story. Well, this is how it happened; it's sort of weird, but I promise I'm not making it up.

I was at a meditation workshop weekend, many years ago - must have been early 1980's - and one meditation exercise involved meeting our spirit guides. The spirits must have had it in for me that day, or perhaps they just have a weird sense of humour; because while everyone else was getting Cherokee elders, Druids, or Aztec priestesses - or at least, that's what they claimed to be getting - I got, I kid you not, Bugs Bunny. At least it introduced some levity into the proceedings, which were getting altogether too serious by half; but I must say, old Bugs certainly had his uses, helping me to keep my cool on several occasions when everything around me seemed to be going pear-shaped. He's still there, lurking, encouraging me to lighten up. Alright, Bugs, I hear you.

In the last 25 years or so, however - and this is going to sound altogether too pretentious - but my Spirit Guide, familiar, or whatever you want to call it, has been - a dragon. And not just any old dragon either, but a Senior Dragon, or at least that's what he says he is - he's definitely male, - about 150ft. long, nose to tip of tail (which ends in an arrow point), covered in scales variously coloured from green to gold to purple, with big leathery wings (of course), four legs which end in huge hook-taloned paws, and garbage-can-lid-sized amber eyes. His normal demeanour is grumpy, but he is, or claims to be, wondrously wise, and he doesn't breathe smoke and fire very much, except when he thinks I'm doing anything more than usually stupid (which is much more often than I'd like). He has a sardonic, and sarcastic, sense of humour; the highest praise I've ever heard from him is a grunted "Hrrrrumph. Not too bad."

I don't remember exactly where and when I found him - or perhaps more accurately, he found me.

He can get quite snarky at times, especially when he thinks I'm being exceptionally dense; coming out with comments like "You realize it's a great honour to be befriended by a dragon, don't you? I don't HAVE to do this, you know. I'm a SENIOR DRAGON, I hope you understand?"

But I must say he does seem to help me to have occasional lucid moments, or at least to be not totally stupid all of the time. It can get quite wearing, though; I keep expecting to hear a muttered "Grrrrrrumph!" and find myself coughing in a cloud of evil-smelling smoke. Having a dragon familiar - I mean, of course, a SENIOR DRAGON familiar - is a big responsibility.

I'm perfectly serious about all this. A dragon. Really, I ask you.

Blessed Be, KittyKat and everyone,

Alchymist.
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2015, 03:52:50 PM »

You know of course that I for one would not mock, doubt or ridicule this. I have never heard or read anywhere that your Spirit guide cannot be a being of myth, fable or legend, or for that matter, toon-life (although that does raise my eyebrows a bit). To me, your guide is who or whatever it needs to be in order to capture your attention in the best way in order for you to learn.

I'm not sure entirely that a Spirit guide is even a Spirit of a particular creature per se, I would in my limited perception say that the Spirit is possibly a Spirit and takes on the persona necessary for the "job in hand". This is of course conjecture on my part.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »

I'm not sure entirely that a Spirit guide is even a Spirit of a particular creature per se, I would in my limited perception say that the Spirit is possibly a Spirit and takes on the persona necessary for the "job in hand". This is of course conjecture on my part.

That's pretty much the way I figure it works as well.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »

Thanks Canis, it does make sense doesn't it ?!

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:01 PM »

It does to me.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 10:00:25 PM »

I do know two dragons, one I met long ago was very funny and kind. He disappeared suddenly and I have never found him since.

The dragon I speak of now is a very good friend. He is kind however not above setting me straight when needed. I think very highly
of him.

Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2015, 09:44:47 AM »

Fables , myths and legends are just the words people uses that can not believe what they see is real . Just because they are not around at the present time does not mean they won't be back ( THE SOONER THE BETTER ) . Is there evidences of them , yes they have only been mislabeled by the scientific community because they can believe what they see and call it something else that fits into their tiny world . "

KittyKat

• Rowan
  • "I'm not lazy. I'm just very relaxed." -Anon :P
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2015, 01:25:29 PM »

Everyone has so many cool stories to tell! Everyone's talking about dragons and it makes me think of a thing my friend and I did when we were younger. We went to church together (though she was kind of half Jew/half Christain) and one day she told me she had a pet/companion who was a dragon. I don't remember his name (something like Gajeel I think) and she told me anyone could have one, they just had to be creative enough. So she helped me create one during a sleepover one night. I imagined his gender and egg and pictures them hatching. Then he came out holding a saxophone because his talent was music, like me. He was small and green and really cute. I named him Romeo. Our dragons had their own personality's and if they tried to talk to us and we ignored them, they'd get mad and build walls up so we couldn't see or talk to them.

Her's lived in a genie bottle underwater and mine lived in front of a waterfall on a grassy cliff of land. They would visit each other and hang out and we'd bring them everywhere with us. As we got older they grew and I remember watching them fly alongside our cars. But school and family problems soon got in the way and I eventually forgot about him. I can still clearly picture his little cabin and the waterfall and stuff, but it feels empty when I try to look in (there's like a magickal barrier around it and I can never get into his house). I wonder if these were just the wild imaginations of my friend and me or if there was something more to it. What do y'all think?
"If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Lewis Carroll

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 05:19:21 PM »

I think you have a lot of work to do to break down that wall your Dragon has built, for ignoring him for so long now  :)

KittyKat

• Rowan
  • "I'm not lazy. I'm just very relaxed." -Anon :P
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »

Hahaha probably so! You think it isn't just a child's imagination then, Drac?
"If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." -Benjamin Franklin

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up