Welcome, Guest
February 23, 2018, 06:00:01 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you know if you're a witch?  (Read 4991 times)

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
How do you know if you're a witch?
« on: January 04, 2016, 05:32:58 PM »

It's a pretty straight forward question but I'm sure it's been asked in many, many different ways before.
It's my birthday the day after today (01:32 in Scotland) and I'm really interested to know how you first knew that you were a witch?

>>---|broken arrow|--->
Scotland is my hame

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: How do you know if you're a witch?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 05:05:43 AM »

I learned witchcraft through studying Wicca, but I'm sure there are other avenues. I am a solitary eclectic witch, I incorporate many Wiccan ideals in my practice of witchcraft. I don't believe in natural witches, no one wakes up one day and is a witch. There are people I believe that have an inclination to study certain subjects that may lead them towards witchcraft.

Witchcraft requires effort and commitment and is not an easy path to embrace. Study and practice is essential. Usually study for a year and a day is recommended to know if this is a path you truly want. Read everything you can find about Wicca/Witchcraft. There is a list of recommended books in Wicca Q&A.. This learning process lasts a lifetime, so have a happy journey.

Hope your birthday is a happy one.

Blessings
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:11:52 AM »

I learned witchcraft through studying Wicca, but I'm sure there are other avenues. I am a solitary eclectic witch, I incorporate many Wiccan ideals in my practice of witchcraft. I don't believe in natural witches, no one wakes up one day and is a witch. There are people I believe that have an inclination to study certain subjects that may lead them towards witchcraft.

Witchcraft requires effort and commitment and is not an easy path to embrace. Study and practice is essential. Usually study for a year and a day is recommended to know if this is a path you truly want. Read everything you can find about Wicca/Witchcraft. There is a list of recommended books in Wicca Q&A.. This learning process lasts a lifetime, so have a happy journey.

Hope your birthday is a happy one.

Blessings

Thank you replying. 

Yes, I'm not at all new to this, having spent some time as ben_lightwalker --- until I lost my password and deleted my email, during traveling here and there.  At the time I was more on an answer quest, for which I received bountiful assistance and guidance to books etc.  I have made some headway in the regard but like you I am solitary and as such am going at my own pace which is the pace of my life 'quick-quick-slow'  (mostly slow)

Regardless, it is interesting to note that your entrance into the words of witches was academic rather than experiential.

Well, I suppose that would constitute and experience but nothing personal in a forest one day or something along those lines -- you where one is moon-stuck or such --- I'm sure there are a million varieties of experiences when it comes to this. i.e. I met a witch and was so impressed by their story that I began to spend time with them and their positive energy and kindness helped me begin to seek out where I might begin

>>--|broken arrow|-->
Scotland is my hame

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:59:51 PM »

Let me re-phrase the question a bit: When did I know I was a Witch?

I seem to have always known that I was - well - something different. Nothing else seemed to make very much sense; not the religion I saw all around me as a child, which seemed to be full of ridiculous impossibilities - "God" creating the entire Universe in six days, Christ walking on water; not atheism, since I seemed to just know that there was more to reality than could be seen and measured; none of the Eastern religions when I learned about them, nor the "New Age" beliefs that seemed to be mostly based on them - "You create your own reality!" Well, yes to some extent, but it's also true that our realities create us.

Inspired by a cartoon strip in a children's comic at about the age of eight or nine, I knew that some kind of Magic had to be part of what I was; but, much later, when I discovered Quabalah and the Golden Dawn and Theosophy, that wasn't it either. Then came Wicca; but with its settled pantheon of deities and its orthopraxy, well that didn't quite work out either. None of the well-trodden paths through life's jungle seemed to attract more than superficially, so almost by default it seemed I had to create my own Path; incorporating odds and ends, bits and pieces, from other paths perhaps, but very largely my own, or at least my own interpretations.

So, finally, here I am; a solitary Witch (initiated, but solitary nevertheless), a Seeker, a carver-out of my own jungle Path. True, there were also other formal Initiations at which other humans were present, which were interesting experiences but not, as they should have been, mindblowing. What I think of as my real Initiations occurred spontaneously, without any conscious input on my part, at least two of them as a result of serious illnesses - a common, almost required, part of the route to Shamanism. I'd call them epiphanies except it sounds 'way too pretentious.

This is perhaps a long and rambling answer to your question, bluedjango, but it's more or less how it happened, for me at least. I suppose the short version of the answer would be:-

You know you're a witch when you know you're not anything else.

I hope this helps. Blessed Be,

Alchymist.

ps. Happy Birthday!   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:08:57 PM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:56:11 PM »

So, finally, here I am; a solitary Witch (initiated, but solitary nevertheless), a Seeker, a carver-out of my own jungle Path.

ps. Happy Birthday!   

Ta, it's 22:48 now, so there's good hour and ten minutes before I can jump up and down and run out in the street and scream "Fifty-eight at midnight and still a witch!"     

I love that single sentence, I'm not sure if this really great wine "Naturae" S.B red, or the way you phrase the last part : "a carver-out of my own jungle Path"    Now being a boy scout in my teens, I love the word "Path" or "pathway" and it's also so part of so much of what you'll find in the writings of some the greatest authors -- ya don't have to be religious to come up with this stuff, it's just part of the ooze of life, right?   

I guess what cemented for me was the terrible aggression I experienced when I went to the defense of witch who was blasted by some really mean Bible-thumping heavy weights and then they turned on me -- I guess it's the thing about experiencing the shallow-mindedness that kinda cemented my thoughts about being a seeker -- but the truth is that there is so much too learn from everyone, be it the old bloke on the corner with a hard luck cardboard sign, or the wealthy banker with a bit pot belly -- they've all got something precious inside that's just waiting to come out and fly. 

Well, enough drunken prattle from me and back to y'all!   

>>--|broken arrow|--->
Scotland is my hame

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 05:09:32 AM »

In a way those that are drawn to any kind of Magic appear to have a internal compass that points to the energy of Magic and like a magnet it pulls us in the direction we need to go to get stronger . Some only feel the pull a little and some feel it much stronger . It's with one all the time we just have to want to find that source of the pull .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Mystik Witch

• Cypress
  • What you think about, you bring about!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »

I apologize if this is posted twice. Computer had a glitch!

I couldn't have said it any better. After reading this post from top to bottom. I have to agree with you both og and Alchymist. Each of you have said exactly how I feel about my path. I just never felt like I belonged with my family's beliefs and their religion. I felt like I was on the outside looking in. I was always reading something that was to do with witchcraft or energy. ( I had to hide it or my mother would ground me and lecture me on the devil). Sundays were very hard for me to deal with. I dreaded Sundays. I finally refused to go with my family to their church. I would rather stay home and have be forced to clean the house then go to church and deal with that. It just wasn't right. The more I study about my path of being a witch. The easier it is becoming for me to understand why I have been drawn here from my earliest childhood years.

Everyone says its like coming home. In many ways, yes, it is. That warm feeling in the pit of your stomach. The calm that comes over you when you ground and center. The knowledge that the deities are with you, (what ever deities you believe in).

"In a way those that are drawn to any kind of Magic appear to have a internal compass that points to the energy of Magic and like a magnet it pulls us in the direction we need to go to get stronger. Some only feel the pull a little and some feel it much stronger. It's with one all the time, we just have to want to find that source of the pull." quoted from og

But most of all just being content knowing what I am studying and learning, somehow some where, I have learned it all once before. Finding my path and what is new to learn each day is a tremendous gift to me.

As Alchymist said, "You know you're a witch when you know you're not anything else."

Blessings! MW
Blessed Be!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »

Bluedjango I apparently misunderstood your question. I have to say my answer would relate more to the when I knew I was different from other people. I was very young when I felt the pull towards beliefs that were not my family"s. I was lost for many years, not knowing what to do with these feelings. I read all the books I could find at that time about witchcraft, but they just were not enough to satisfy me. When a friend gave me a book about Wicca I was amazed. From then on that is what drew me to witchcraft. That was the path that gave me entrance to what I was looking for.  Now I know who I am, although solitary I'm not alone.

So Alchymist and og have summed it up.

Blessings
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 12:42:13 PM »

In a way those that are drawn to any kind of Magic appear to have a internal compass that points to the energy of Magic and like a magnet it pulls us in the direction we need to go to get stronger . Some only feel the pull a little and some feel it much stronger . It's with one all the time we just have to want to find that source of the pull .

Thank you for your insight.  The word 'pull' was one I remember hearing in some of the sermons by the late William Marion Branham.  I suspect that most great callings are accompanied with a strong compulsion that this is good, right and positive and one aught to avoid those which generate fear in one.   
Scotland is my hame

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 12:53:12 PM »

I apologize if this is posted twice. Computer had a glitch!

I couldn't have said it any better. After reading this post from top to bottom. I have to agree with you both og and Alchymist. Each of you have said exactly how I feel about my path. I just never felt like I belonged with my family's beliefs and their religion. I felt like I was on the outside looking in. I was always reading something that was to do with witchcraft or energy. ( I had to hide it or my mother would ground me and lecture me on the devil). Sundays were very hard for me to deal with. I dreaded Sundays. I finally refused to go with my family to their church. I would rather stay home and have be forced to clean the house then go to church and deal with that. It just wasn't right. The more I study about my path of being a witch. The easier it is becoming for me to understand why I have been drawn here from my earliest childhood years.

Everyone says its like coming home. In many ways, yes, it is. That warm feeling in the pit of your stomach. The calm that comes over you when you ground and center. The knowledge that the deities are with you, (what ever deities you believe in).

"In a way those that are drawn to any kind of Magic appear to have a internal compass that points to the energy of Magic and like a magnet it pulls us in the direction we need to go to get stronger. Some only feel the pull a little and some feel it much stronger. It's with one all the time, we just have to want to find that source of the pull." quoted from og

But most of all just being content knowing what I am studying and learning, somehow some where, I have learned it all once before. Finding my path and what is new to learn each day is a tremendous gift to me.

As Alchymist said, "You know you're a witch when you know you're not anything else."

Blessings! MW

Fortunately for me, I was left to my own and only taken to Sunday Skull until I didn't like it.  (that didn't take too long)
I naturally moved towards free-thinking and embraced a Bohemian lifestyle so was very easily able to open up just about anything which I felt strongly enough was good, pure and true. 
Unfortunately drugs and Philosophy got in the way of that and before I knew it I was getting to damn close to stuff which I can only describe as 'evil' -- though at the time, I just thought it was a 'pull'   -- it was but the very wrong sort of 'pull'     
I ended up getting sweet into a vortex of emotionalism and before I knew it I was riding the roller-coaster of happy-sad-happy-sad until eventually I became disenchanted (much Sunday Skull) and drifted away eventually finding my way little-by-little into a state that I think is beautifully described in the U2 song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"  -- it's great to be open and honest and follow the 'pull' of 'One Love' -- so many great leaders have shared this insight - - Bob Marley was really an amazing force of Nature who has continued to spirit me up! 
I love reading Sri Caitananya's 8 verses (new to me) and also enjoy the romantic story of Krsna and Radha -- so beautiful -- the union of love and lover -- magical 
As to spells, I've only tried once and felt a little like I was imitating one those B-Grade witch movies and laughed it off - I guess I have a bad taste in my mouth for any form or repetition -- including "Hare Krsna, ...."  -- I just like the idea of the 'pull' but more so the essential nature of being a witch and that is to be a 'seeker'

Blessed be
shydark
Scotland is my hame

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 12:57:09 PM »

Bluedjango I apparently misunderstood your question. I have to say my answer would relate more to the when I knew I was different from other people. I was very young when I felt the pull towards beliefs that were not my family"s. I was lost for many years, not knowing what to do with these feelings. I read all the books I could find at that time about witchcraft, but they just were not enough to satisfy me. When a friend gave me a book about Wicca I was amazed. From then on that is what drew me to witchcraft. That was the path that gave me entrance to what I was looking for.  Now I know who I am, although solitary I'm not alone.

So Alchymist and og have summed it up.

Blessings

Yes, I love the use of the word 'path' and I also enjoy the idea of finding a door which opens and you know you're exactly where you should be and everything inside you rings out that you are where you should be.   It's what Ramana Maharishi called 'Awareness'  (  Who Am I?  -- a great read )   

Blessed be
shydark
Scotland is my hame

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »

As a child, I went to the woods and fields, and they called to me.  My parents felt that this was very important, and indulged me, allowing me to explore near and far, scrabbling along creek beds, turning over stones to see what lived beneath; I grew to love my "cathedral" as I called it.  I

At about 9 or so, I became interested in the occult, and supernatural.  I began researching ghosts and psychic phenomena.  For a lot of that time, it was hard for me to get any real, credible, information.  I believed in witchcraft, but did not practice, and really, had no preconceived notions because I'd seen so much crap as well... I made the move actively, a number of years ago, when I heard an interview on Art Bells radio show, with Isaac Bonewits. 

I was fascinated by his views on life, so I began searching the internet.  I carried on a short email communication with Isaac, and he inspired me to move forward.  That's it... 
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 07:38:54 PM »

As a child, I went to the woods and fields, and they called to me.  My parents felt that this was very important, and indulged me, allowing me to explore near and far, scrabbling along creek beds, turning over stones to see what lived beneath; I grew to love my "cathedral" as I called it.  I

At about 9 or so, I became interested in the occult, and supernatural.  I began researching ghosts and psychic phenomena.  For a lot of that time, it was hard for me to get any real, credible, information.  I believed in witchcraft, but did not practice, and really, had no preconceived notions because I'd seen so much crap as well... I made the move actively, a number of years ago, when I heard an interview on Art Bells radio show, with Isaac Bonewits. 

I was fascinated by his views on life, so I began searching the internet.  I carried on a short email communication with Isaac, and he inspired me to move forward.  That's it...

I love your open hearted first stanza and it brought back some my own childhood memories untainted ones.
Smoking my first cigarette in the shallow river behind the senior boarding house.
Watching girlfiend sacrifice a pidgeon --- that was weird. She frightened the s-out of me!
We were all so crazy and passionate and feared nothing but the came the rules and the beatings but it just drove deeper into our world's of self discovery as we cut our wrists and made blood oath of eternal loyalty.
We were magical, immortal and eternal --- until we were conscripted to kill and murder our fellow human beings and something weird happened inside some of us --- we refused to kill and we chose a softer, less travelled my path and were mocked, ridiculed and some of us were beaten but we refused to retaliate and we are what Graham Nash calls us : "The Soldiers Of Peace"

I think the Reed is in some and some resist it but it's something in your core and it makes you different.

We give it names because it helps us communicate but it's not a path it's was there long before Modern Hominids roamed the lands and will be long after our species is extinct
My 2p
Scotland is my hame

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 09:20:04 PM »

Thank you for your insight.  The word 'pull' was one I remember hearing in some of the sermons by the late William Marion Branham.  I suspect that most great callings are accompanied with a strong compulsion that this is good, right and positive and one aught to avoid those which generate fear in one.

As you say, bdj and og, the "pull" is very real; but in my experience it was more than that. It was as if the Magical Path reached out and grabbed me almost before I knew it, and certainly before I felt "ready". It was scarcely a conscious choice, in some ways; it was simply something I had to do. I was, it seemed, dragged through a series of experiences by some unseen hand, which left me no choice but to follow the Path that I'm on.

It's the same with art, or indeed science or invention. All the truly great artists paint, carve, dance or write music because it is what they have to do; some inner compulsion drives them, and won't be denied. Scientists like Newton, Darwin or Einstein, inventors like Tesla, follow their respective Paths, again, because some inner compulsion drives them, to the point of singlemindedness, forgetting to eat or sleep, wild eccentricities or, in some cases, what the world calls madness. Madness it might be, but it is a divine madness, approaching a kind of satori or ecstasy.

So follow the Path that chooses you, through love and joy, adventure and terror, mirth and reverence. There's precious little money in it, for most of us; if money's your thing, become a bond trader or a Corporate lawyer and leave magic, art and science alone. Ignore that hollow place inside, and try to deny what you know, deep down; that that which you deny will eventually destroy you.

Blessed Be, to all who follow your own Path, wherever it may lead.

Alchymist
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

bluedjango

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • mystic-nymph
    • Tom Jack Kerouac
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 05:36:19 AM »

As you say, bdj and og, the "pull" is very real; but in my experience it was more than that. It was as if the Magical Path reached out and grabbed me almost before I knew it, and certainly before I felt "ready". It was scarcely a conscious choice, in some ways; it was simply something I had to do. I was, it seemed, dragged through a series of experiences by some unseen hand, which left me no choice but to follow the Path that I'm on.

Right off the bat, I don't like where you're going with this.  It's rooted in ignorance of the tenderness of love and I suspect whatever pulled you isn't worth knowing. 

I'll respond to the rest just now.

shydark
Scotland is my hame
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up