Welcome, Guest
October 20, 2018, 09:48:30 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importance of Sabbats/Holidays  (Read 1463 times)

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
Importance of Sabbats/Holidays
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:39:10 AM »

I'm curious how important following/celebrating holidays/sabbats/esbats are to your practice? Is it very important to you that you take the time to create a ritual and/or celebrate at these times? Is it important that you celebrate on the official calendar day?

I know there are many different paths, and I'm curious! I've found that 1) life tends to get in the way, and I miss the day, and 2) often the weather isn't cooperating with the sabbat.

For example, Beltane just passed and it's a celebration of turning animals out into summer fields, Spring being fully upon us, and life bursting. Well, where I am in NH the spring has been slow in coming, nothing is fully open, and the symbolic yellow flowers of the festival are not yet in bloom, so it feels wrong to celebrate it on the official day. 
~There she weaves by night and day~

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
Re: Importance of Sabbats/Holidays
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »

I understand LS and if you are solitary you can do whatever  you wish in the way of celebrating the Wheel of the Year. I personally follow it very
closely. As far as celebrating I do as much or as little as I wish.

Beltane is more than turning animals out to pasture. It is a fire festival and also a celebration of fertility, of union between the god and goddess.
A time for handfastings, a time for thanking the earth and seeds for the life they sustain. Giving thanks for the return of spring. It's not hard to find something in Beltane to celebrate. I planted a few flowers and lit candles. It need not be elaborate unless that is what you want.

Following the Wheel of the Year helps me maintain balance in my life, it reminds me who I am and gives me great pleasure. Flowers can be bought and candles lit inside the house. Decorate your altar for Beltane. Do whatever makes you happy.

Blessings
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:56:23 AM »

Thank you, Marisol! All excellent advice! I have a tendency to overthink things... :)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »

We see things as they are today but we must remember that when these ritual days started it was not just a single person or a group of several it was the whole of the people . Weather was just as big a problem for them , even worse . The Sabats were a reflection of how they lived ever day .

You see most of these rituals were based on celestial events , how certain stars aligned . These were times one could hope for the best things to do what must be done .

There are many like you LS that can't get outside do to the weather or a job . You don't have to get dressed in robe or have a stone altar outside to celebrate them . You can make it simple and take just a few minutes or the whole day with all the bells and whistles . Even if it is only today a few words as long as you mean what you say or do , that is what counts .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

LadyOfShalott

• Orange
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:00 AM »

There are many like you LS that can't get outside do to the weather or a job . You don't have to get dressed in robe or have a stone altar outside to celebrate them . You can make it simple and take just a few minutes or the whole day with all the bells and whistles . Even if it is only today a few words as long as you mean what you say or do , that is what counts .

Thank you for this reminder, og. I get a little disappointed if I can't do something big, but taking the time to do anything meaningful is just as good!

Valerie

• Ash
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »

I try to do something, a candle sit outside if only for a few minutes. I agree with Marisol it helps me feel connected X my other half tho Catholic, asks what am up to and does take interest x
Tho my path is uncertain, I'll go where my heart leads me...because in my quest to find my way, I know I'll find myself x

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »

You can do a simple thing if you can't get outside , if you have a natural fiber mat or even a rattan table mat it can be used. Use the mat as a seat in the center of a circle made of house plants . Burn some floral or pine incense's and presto , you just made a Magical place in your home .

Give it a try , just let your mind believe in what you are doing , see the forest behind the potted parsley plant 🌲🌳🌴🌵🌷🍀🌿🌞🌈 ,...
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Amberhawk

• Orange
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 05:42:59 AM »

I think it depends on the person. I take note of the time but other than Yule and Samhain I don't generally celebrate, and even these two are played way down. Yule is more a focus on family for me and Samhain the ancestors.

In my experience a full celebration isn't necessary to continue but it is wise to at least pay attention when they go through, particularly if you are with a practicing group. Most religions keep special days so that members of similar religions can practice together around the same scheduled time anyway. Looking back in history of any religion, most holidays of any sort were celebrated at different times depending on what the purpose was and what region they are in, climate and hemisphere. The north half celebrates summer when the south half is in winter holidays. When a religion celebrates so directly according to nature and its shifts, paying attention to the more local shifts to stay in line with that is far more important anyway.
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 25+ years.

Questa

• Rowan
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »

Bumping this up for the good advice and suggestions as Samhain approaches. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up