Welcome, Guest
August 15, 2018, 04:20:44 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Want to understand your Totem animal better ?.  (Read 2734 times)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Want to understand your Totem animal better ?.
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:55:54 PM »

Do you have aTotem animal and wish to understand what traits it has , would you like to have some general information on how it can guide you .

If you know your Totem animal just tell me which one it is an I will give you aspects of it inter-action and it's guiding influence on your path .

Yes mythical animals are Totem animals also, they just hide very well .

Don't think that your Totem animal has to be some powerful beast to best endow you with great knowledge and power . Even a mighty dragon can be felled by a little fly .

So ask , and yes your Totem animal can also be your astral guide . If you have one or many find out how they can interact with each other and yourself.
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Want to understand your Totem animal better ?.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 02:39:43 AM »

Okay OG, I'll start the ball rolling with Dragon and Crow. I have had an affinity with Dragon for many years now, Crow for only a few.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »

Draco Fruit hi Discuss , standard Scottish brown dragon .

Dragon have long been emissaries of the God/lesses . Their moods can change just like the weather . They above all things honor truth and loyalty.They are very territorial creatures . While mainly solitary then watch over others but from afar .

What they impart to humans is a steadiness in their dealing with others. The lend strength but only as a last resort. Wisdom and understanding is part of their gift but they can get frustrated when trying to help others who will not listen or who won't try as hard to do things as they would . They value treasurer but not as jewels or gold . Knowledge is what they call wealth . Their life can be lonely and hard but they always seem to appear happy even when they are not . Friendship come hard to them but the ones they have they are very loyal to .

Aah ,must stop have to go will finish later,..

Now back to were I was (after seven hours on the road to talk with a doctorfor a whole six minutes )

Corvid , the crow traits of crows are their very cunning natural . Their are the brings of day Magics .

They impart potential on humans , alone with alertness and spiritual growth and power . Unfortunately few humans see them as nothing more than scavenger and garbage birds .In that they are wrong , Crows show people how to adapt to different situations and when things are in short supply how to use what have to it's full potential .

How these two interact can be somewhat of a challenge ,while a Dragon will honor the effort of others a Crow will take advantage of the situation to gain from it. Dragon find this dishonest .When they do get along the Crow will alert the Dragon to things it cannot see .The Crow will at times taunt the Dragon to take action . What the Dragon does for the Crow is look out for its safety and it will share what it has with the Crow .

Both impart co-operation with others along with knowledge they bring cunning to people . They teach that there is more to survival then just might and knowledge can lead one through door's that strength could not force.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:15:57 AM by oldghost »
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »

Okay og.  You know how I come into your discussions and disagree, and proceed to irritate you?  Far be it from me to break a winning streak.  My understanding is a totem belongs to a tribe or a clan, not an individual.  Kind of like sports teams and schools often have a "totem" such as the UCLA Bruins or the Philadelphia Eagles.

I'm open to discussion here...
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »

I agree that a totem is representative usually of a group of people as you say, but I am of the belief that an individual may also be represented by a totem too. Perhaps this point of view is because I am so solitary and very much the lone wolf, both in life and in path. I was like this as a child and grew up this way.

The characteristics of the Dragon totem that OG describes represents me in every aspect. I don't believe I chose this totem, nor that it chose me; I feel I simply paired with it a very long time ago and it has fit ever since.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Crow is represented as this one I took on myself, and it's relatively new to me. I see Wisdom, cunning and an ability to see to the heart of a thing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 06:46:42 PM »

I'm not disputing that, Drac.  Only the terminology.  The term "totem" has a specific meaning in anthropology and to use it is this context is a misappropriation of the word.  I think "spirit animal" is probably closer to the mark here. Totems, spirit animals, familiars and the like tend to be used interchangeably in the neopagan community but they are actually quite different things.  Seems like clear terminology is really important since these symbols and spirits actually perform different functions.

Gawds I sound anal.  Sorry,

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 02:50:55 AM »

Totem animal = that which represents you in the earthly realm.

Spirit animal = that which guides you in the Spirit world

Where not talking anthropology here but the workings of magic .

Individuals can have their own Totem animal , not all Totem are of things that live in the normal world and a person's Totem can be anything a rock , a building or even their imaginary friend . Individual Totems are more common than you think . That is how I am speaking of them hear .

Shamans have many Totem animals that they call on for aid and they can have  nothing to do with the tribe they belong to . After all this is Magic not science .

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 07:43:33 AM »

I have still never yet met my Spirit Guide; perhaps someday, hopefully soon.

Amberhawk

• Rowan
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:03:04 AM »

I think the point was more towards modern magic draws from earlier ideas, many based in what archaeology and anthropology finds where the more indigenous people practiced such things. A totem represented the spirit protector of the clan it represented. A personal spirit animal is what guides and protects individuals this realm and the next. That a totem animal is individual is a very, very new idea in the grand scheme of things. The idea that Shamans would call their personal spirit animals totems... very new.  It's more terminology than anything else. Having personal spirit guides and guardians is an old idea, they are just not called Totems.

Totem animal = that which represents you in the earthly realm.

Spirit animal = that which guides you in the Spirit world

Where not talking anthropology here but the workings of magic .

Individuals can have their own Totem animal , not all Totem are of things that live in the normal world and a person's Totem can be anything a rock , a building or even their imaginary friend . Individual Totems are more common than you think . That is how I am speaking of them hear .

Shamans have many Totem animals that they call on for aid and they can have  nothing to do with the tribe they belong to . After all this is Magic not science .
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 25+ years.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2016, 11:49:37 AM »

For the record og, Amberhawk nailed it.

I'm not challenging your knowledge about magic, mysticism, spirit guides, etc.  Only terminology, because in these discussions words are everything.  Discussions can really get in a snarl if certain words don't mean the same thing.  IMHO you redefined a few things according to your own preference earlier.  But now, people who read this thread know exactly what you mean in your posts, though "totem" will mean something different in the greater pagan community.

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »

I got some for ya og. For as long as I can remember I have always heard an owl close by at night. My grandmother used to call me little owl. I have also always had a cat. I feel incomplete without one. Tell me about owls and cats.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 05:02:10 PM »

Okay , Totem animal will be out , so will just refer to it as Spirit Animals for the sake of clarity .

Drac , most spirit guides come to one when their minds are clear and the are in a state for them to be receptive to the calling . Trying to find one works best when your not trying . Another thing , spirit guides like a mind that is in a state of dreams . For one thing it is less of a shock to appear to you in a dream , It is like breaking it's self to one gently and preparing one for their first encounter when they are awake . You may have already met but did not think of it as a guide because of it being something that is familiar to you . Could even be your carved puffin . Did you ever ask yourself why you carved that particular bird ?.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 12:49:08 PM »

Good memory J ..... I carved it as a Yule present for someone. I couldn't think what to get her but I knew she liked Puffins, so I just got to work on it.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 07:57:32 PM »

Owl is my spirit brother . So Lady M , the Owl and the Pussycat .

In the past Owl were called cat's with wings . While cats are the most common companion of Magical people few know what they give to their two legged servant . Cat being creatures of the night they take away the fear of the dark be it nighttime or the dark side of Magic. The walk the border of  the two worlds . They open the sight to that which is hidden . They teach that one can be independent and to be able to handle things by themselves. This has a bad side to it , that is the loneliness of not being able to commit to another . One starts to become so used to be alone they fear change .

Owl is another creature of the dark , it can also show you there is nothing to fear in the dark . Owl's are the guardians of knowledge and do not share it easily . Owl highten one energy of the third eyes perception , clairvoyance and clairaudience are enhanced .

The insight is enhanced so they can see others in their true nature . Mediums will find that the Owl give them a better , clearer vision of what they see . They give a calming effect to those that they aid , allowing them to calm those that are troubled with their words .

Being a being of both fire and air can bring about the gift of prophecy . From the Moon they impart healing power .

Like the Cat , Owl's can flash into action and will endanger themselves to do what is right .

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 08:00:32 PM »

Memory is the only thing I got that still works half right .
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up