Welcome, Guest
November 22, 2017, 01:47:08 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which god/desses would you suggest to new Pagans? Or definitely not?  (Read 787 times)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn

When people are new to Paganism, and/or exploring Wicca, they often search for a deity or two to be their "patron".  If someone came to you, who would you suggest as a good deity for seekers to work with?  Are there any that you think, for whatever reason, might not be good for inexperienced people?

I'd be interested in some feedback here.I encountered some disagreement when I suggested to someone new (not on TCC) that The Miorrighan might not be a good match for some one new to the Craft.  "That's okay", he said. "If I don't like her I'll dismiss her". Oh Geez.  Cringe.  But you may think differently than me on this so fire away...
One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

Lazarus Long

Amberhawk

• Rowan
  • Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist
Re: Which god/desses would you suggest to new Pagans? Or definitely not?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:56:29 AM »

My own suggestion would be to make mythology a primary study early on and until they find themselves drawn to specific ones, the generic "Lord" and "Lady" be ok for the start if they feel a drive to do have something to direct attention to and work with. As they become more comfortable with the regular honoring of the only switch would be to shuffle the devotionals to suite those deities. There is no rush here. I realize the excitement can be overwhelming. Trying to focus that excitement into learning would be better in the long run.
Mom, Wife, homemaker, and Eclectic Pagan Spiritualist for 20+ years.

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 02:52:09 PM »

Dismissing the Morrighan; really? Well, hopefully he, whoever he is, might learn something from the encounter ...... or not. Probably not, if he starts out with that attitude. I hope he has a kind, knowledgeable friend who can help him climb out of the hole he's likely to be digging for himself....

In Taoism it is said that "The Tao that can be spoken of is not the true Tao." Well, analogously, it could be said that "The Morrighan who can be dismissed is not the true Morrighan.' If you want to invoke the Morrighan you'd better know what you're doing. I've only ever seen it done, successfully, once, by a very brave and strong woman of my acquaintance. It required a whole day of intense preparation. A normally averagely attractive youngish woman, she became scarily ancient and crone-like, her normally brown eyes became a thundercloud grey, her voice became harsh, almost guttural, and sibylline, she spoke of things some of us felt better left unsaid......  you don't return from such an ordeal unchanged. It is, in a very real sense, a genuine Initiation - not to be undertaken lightly.

Blessed Be all invokers of ancient Goddesses,

Alchymist. 

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »

I found the study of mythology to be helpful. I started out identifying with the Lord and Lady. But as my path evolved so did the deities. It's different for everyone. I can't say this one first and this one or that one next. Finding the deity/deities is part of the journey we take and is not written in stone. So, I would say research carefully. Expect changes and embrace your path.

Blessings.
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

TheGreenWizard

• Rowan
  • Which way on the Golden Brick Road shall I go?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:18:44 PM »

As someone who is still new on their path, I've looked to my colleagues and friends for support and for their viewpoints on certain things. Recently, I spoked with my coworker (who has been Wiccan since her teens - she's now in her late 40s) and when I told her how I was going to return to studying the Craft, she blurted out, "I'm sorry for interrupting you, but I see Artemis and Bacchus near you." I was a bit taken back by that - I never truly considered them as my Patrons, however, I recently had a dream. Long story short, within the dream, I was attacked, and I called on three Deities: Artemis, Bacchus, and Lord Jupiter.

Before this encounter with them, and with my coworker, I would say thanks and prayers infrequently to the Goddess/Mother Earth/Gaia (Yes, I know, they are entirely different beings, but in my head, it makes sense to use these terms interchangeably) because that is who I felt a close connection to. However, after this very recent revelation, I may just move to include them in my pantheon. Of course, I need to do more meditation and research on the subject...

Generally - I think I would suggest a good strong study of mythology of all cultures is important; to make it more realistic, possibly go with cultures you associate strongly with, or identify with. For example, I identify strongly with the Greek Pantheon because I grew up learning them, as well as the Egyptian. However, recently, I've come to appreciate the pantheons of the Japanese, Irish, and Nords.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:02:17 AM »

Saying I pick this God/dess is one way to go but just because you pick the one you like doesn't mean that one has picked you . Some who start on their paths think that they must only call upon the deities of​ that tradition . This is not so , sometimes the one you call on may not wish  to help you in your goal where another one will . Sure it would be nice to have the one we want just like it would be nice to be young and rich but things don't always turn out to be the way we want .

I things it is best for those starting out to place the call and see who answers. Yes you can call on any of them and do your rituals in their name just remembered that because you called does not mean it will be answered .

One thing to think about , you should never implore them . Don't whine , no one will like you if you whine . Kindness comes from strength and the ability to do what needs to be done no matter the cost .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:11 AM »

Saying I pick this God/dess is one way to go but just because you pick the one you like doesn't mean that one has picked you . Some who start on their paths think that they must only call upon the deities of​ that tradition . This is not so , sometimes the one you call on may not wish  to help you in your goal where another one will . Sure it would be nice to have the one we want just like it would be nice to be young and rich but things don't always turn out to be the way we want .

I things it is best for those starting out to place the call and see who answers. Yes you can call on any of them and do your rituals in their name just remembered that because you called does not mean it will be answered .

One thing to think about , you should never implore them . Don't whine , no one will like you if you whine . Kindness comes from strength and the ability to do what needs to be done no matter the cost .
^^^This^^^

Lazarus Long

WiccanMan89

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:45:44 AM »

I found the study of mythology to be helpful. I started out identifying with the Lord and Lady. But as my path evolved so did the deities. It's different for everyone. I can't say this one first and this one or that one next. Finding the deity/deities is part of the journey we take and is not written in stone. So, I would say research carefully. Expect changes and embrace your path.

Blessings.

I have to say, i found this advice to be very helpful. I've wanted to start studying the mythologies, but never knew if there was any deities i should start with or prioritize more than others. So, thank you.

I haven't done any rituals yet to be honest, but i had the inpression that you should have a specific diety/deities that you have a special relationship to before you do. But this feels very logical to me, so thanks.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 01:02:45 PM »

WiccanMan89, if you are modeling your practice on Wicca it's perfectly fine to worship the Lord and the Lady as such for as long as you like  .In Wicca they are the Lady of the Moon and Her Horned Consort.  Many Wiccans do this indefinitely.  As you progress you may find that you connect with a specific deity or pair of deities such as Diana and Cernnonos.  We call the faces or aspects of the God/dess.But you should not feel pressured.  As a famous Wiccan HPS said, you don't choose a Goddess, she chooses you.  So just wait and see what happens. Relax.

B*B*

Lazarus Long

WiccanMan89

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »

WiccanMan89, if you are modeling your practice on Wicca it's perfectly fine to worship the Lord and the Lady as such for as long as you like  .In Wicca they are the Lady of the Moon and Her Horned Consort.  Many Wiccans do this indefinitely.  As you progress you may find that you connect with a specific deity or pair of deities such as Diana and Cernnonos.  We call the faces or aspects of the God/dess.But you should not feel pressured.  As a famous Wiccan HPS said, you don't choose a Goddess, she chooses you.  So just wait and see what happens. Relax.

B*B*

Thanks for clearing this up. It's good to know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up