Welcome, Guest
May 20, 2018, 03:11:44 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Gods and Morality  (Read 753 times)

Nymree

• Elm
Discussion: Gods and Morality
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:56:41 AM »

This is something I used to have a big interest in, and posted about before on a few other forums. In my own opinion, I think the gods are very varied, and that the morality of one god may be very different from that of another. However, I also think that that doesn't necessarily mean the gods will share the moral principles of the human beings of this age or a specific culture, even if that god was once human (since moral principle seems to change slightly over time, and the specifics seem to develop and evolve throughout human history).  Then, there is also the thought that the gods may be amoral, but may sometimes 'mimic' human morality in order to interact with humanity or to appear more approachable to humans of whom they wish to interact with. I also like to draw a line, personally, between amorality and apathy, but this is my own opinion and experience.

What are your opinions and experiences on the matter? Feel free to challenge my opinion - I only present it with the hopes of kicking off the discussion.

Skyanne

• Rowan
Re: Discussion: Gods and Morality
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »

I think Peter Beagle briefly touched on this subject in his fictional book, "The Last Unicorn", where he explored how it was impossible for something immortal to feel regret, in addition to feeling love for mortal beings.

Thinking about this as a human pretending to be an immortal:
1) I think if I were immortal I wouldn't feel any love for my immortal comrades or even immortal offspring because I would be in constant competition with them. I might want to eliminate them so that they could not rule me one day. As a mortal, I do feel compassion for my offspring, pets, and family because I know we will eventually lose each other in any given order. That makes all of us more precious, including me.

2) If I were immortal, I also would not care about anything mortal (offspring or not); mortal beings would be as insignificant as my feces that I expel and flush down the toilet, never to see again.

I guess I would make a very callous, terrible god/demigod. It's funny how our perception of what immortals value has changed over the centuries. The Ancient Greeks used to burn the fat of kindles of bones in offerings to the Greek gods, since this is the juiciest, most nutritious part of the animal for humans to eat. But no immortal needs that. Then Jesus came along and said that God does love us and is not apathetic toward us, changing that perception too. I wonder what next our theory of immortals will evolve to, as far as what these beings value and their personality traits.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 12:43:38 AM »

Trying to place human values and purpose on something that is not human just lead to confusion . Saying something is immortal can again be seen only in our understanding . I believe in reincarnation and if that is so then am I in some form not then also immortal . What if those we call God/desses also have their bodies fade and rot away with age , think about them returning with a vast memory of what they were before . Could that be how some people can remember their pass lives because they have had so many and with each new life more of the pass ones are remembered.

One thing we should never do is place human values on something that may not in anyway be human . It is our need to think that those greater then us are like us for our peace of mind rather then some flesh devouring creature of hideous appearance . As for offsprings , I think maybe they are either sterile or reproduce very , very rarely . If they did reproduce like humans the whole universe would be jam packed with them . If they have feeling like humans and or were once human ( they do look after some of us ) then I think their value on life itself would be greater for them . That said could we in fact not be their children . Isn't that a good reason for putting up with us??.👪
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »

In truth are we not all immortal, with the essence of G-d(s)(ess) as the essential spark of life?  Is that not what pulls us all together?

gods and morals are an interesting topic because each god has it's own, and the followers of the god won't have any problem with them, regardless of what may be involved.  Religion is generally used to provide us with access to those gods and keep us closely controlled within a narrow band of practices.  I believe this is true of all religion. 

There is no truth in religion; like politics, it's naught but a carrot on a stick. It is used to lead... anywhere where you can let yourself be led...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous
Pages: [1]   Go Up