Welcome, Guest
November 22, 2017, 01:46:42 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting my journey with the Order of Bards, Oblates, and Druids  (Read 859 times)

cheese

• Orange

I figured I'd post my reflections on my journey with OBOD here.  Especially as I start out.

The event that really kicked this exploration off was when my girlfriend signed up to be a vendor at "Drums in the Swamp".  She's an artist and sells her art all over Southeast Louisiana.  Drums in the Swamp is a yearly gathering of pagans at a campground about an hour away from Baton Rouge.

Well, she didn't sell anything.  So she closed up shop and started to go to various workshops…. And had some amazing experiences.  So much so that after years of stanch agnostism, she calls me up and asks how I’d feel about exploring shamanism/paganism.

There was only one way to answer that question.  :D  “I’d love to.”

Now, I’ve been circling the pool of paganism for a while now, beginning with me finding my way to this forum way back in like 2002 or 2003, I think.  I’ve met druids and Asatru and other pagans and just sort of observed.  I went to a Beltane celebration at the UU church in my city (of which I’m a member).  Last year, I went to a pagan pride day in New Orleans.

Over the years, I also met some people in OBOD and just asked questions and became friends with a few.

When, when my girlfriend asked, I was ready to jump.  I called up a friend in a druid’s grove.  On Beltane we met with some of the leaders and had a quick, informal ritual.  The next day we ordered the introductory material and the 1st year’s course. 

More later.
Power corrupts not only those that wield power, but also those that submit to it.  ~Louis L'amour

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Starting my journey with the Order of Bards, Oblates, and Druids
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »

Excellent Cheese, I'm happy for you. I wish both you and your partner all the best on your new found journey.

I also look forward to reading your thoughts on this page as you progress; please feel free as you will.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 03:57:16 PM »

Well done cheese , are you planning to be solitary or do you want to join a Grove ? .

May your journey be a fruitful one .

Let the trees welcome you 🌳🌳🌳🌳.
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:49:33 AM »

We're planning on joining a Grove.  There are actually two in Baton Rouge - a large one and a smaller one that split off from the large one.  I know people in both, but my girlfriend likes the smaller one better. 

Plus, being socialized in churches and religious community, I am more comfortable with the peculiarities of a religious community.  It just fits better for to engage in ritual with other people on a similar path.  It's one of the reasons I've stuck with the Unitarian Universalist Church after leaving Catholicism.

Power corrupts not only those that wield power, but also those that submit to it.  ~Louis L'amour

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 12:26:26 AM »

How incredibly exciting, old friend... I've always enjoyed your posts over the years, and like many others, have benefited from some of your unique perspectives.  You've always seemed to enjoy the journey as well.

My own journeys have taken me to many places I never would have anticipated.  At this point in my life, I've become hopelessly eclectic; spiritually, I'm somewhere between Michio Kaku and Krishna, LOL.

I wish you happiness and fulfillment, and of course, love.  Thank you for your insights and candor... it's always refreshing!
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 12:35:49 PM »

I'm running into a few difficulties as I start down this path.

a)  When I left Catholicism, I kicked all types of belief out the door.  I am Reiki attuned (to the third degree), I used to believe in energies and my metaphysical outlook was much more varied.  Now.... not so much.  I've traveled the path of a skeptic and my bullcrap meter goes off when people start talking about "energy" now.  I've been an electrical designer for too long to take most of the claims I hear seriously.

But.  I also recognize that we *don't* know everything.  My girlfriend's experience was too serendipitous to be coincidence.  I walked a labyrinth for the first time in years last week and came out feeling almost ecstatic.   (Okay, ecstatic is too strong word, but so was blissful.  Maybe I felt happy?  But happy isn't the right word either.  Connected to the universe?  WTF does that mean?  See my problem here?  lol).

b)  Another issue:  this "feels" like belief in the Christian god.  Exploring belief in the Maiden/Mother/Crone hits those same feelings as when I was a Catholic.  It's not particularly comfortable.

c)  Last, I'm still very much conditioned to believe in a Christian metaphysics, on a gut, visceral level.  Don't laugh at me, but when I attempt to do a drumming meditation, I'm worried about "the devil getting me".  Yes, I'm 43 years old.  Yes, I haven't been a Christian in a decade.  Yes, I'm exploring paganism and worried about the Christian boogy man getting me.  The Catholic Charismatic cult I was raised in really f***ed me up and deprogramming that part of my emotions is an ongoing thing.

rocala

• Meṁber
  • Elm
  • Just a spiritual seeker.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 01:05:23 PM »

Hi cheese

I too have just signed up for the OBOD course. The last few years I have been very drawn to Buddhism but my intuition has kept pulling me to Druidry. Not really a problem, checking the internet shows quite a few people are successfully combining the two. Exciting times, good luck on your path.

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 07:37:20 AM »

My grove did the solstice celebration over the weekend (it’s more convenient with everyone’s work schedule – which didn’t matter as y’all will see).  Our grove is small – only six people.  And only three people made it to the solstice, me and the two leaders.  This was sort of a cool thing, as they stopped and explained many things of the ritual during the ritual.  Interestingly enough, my past life as a Catholic was very helpful.  I understand ritual and had already “peeked behind the curtain”, so to speak.  Creating a sacred space, respecting that space, and then creating an exit from that space is familiar to me as a liturgical musician. 

Shoot, there was even a sprinkling rite and incense.  I might as well been back in a Mass.  :P

They didn’t call on any particular deities.  We wrote intentions down for the year and burned them in the bonfire (and having a fire in midsummer in Louisiana?  Friggin’ hot, man.  Jeez.  Lol ).

All in all, it was interesting, energizing, and I’m looking forward to the next celebration.

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 05:37:12 PM »

Just so you are aware, and so you know this is not falling on deaf ears; I am sitting in the background watching and I've been finding this all very interesting. Please continue to let us know how you are progressing.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:14 AM »

So....

Noticed a thing..... I still really can't believe in any specific gods or goddesses.  In fact, I have an easier time believing in The Fae (or spirits of place as I've heard them referred to as) than I do with any sort of pantheon, ancient or modern.

I just can't believe that any sort of divinity is somehow looking our for me and my best interests.

I can accept that the various gods and goddesses are personality archetypes that I can tap into for insight on various matters.... 

But some sort of metaphysical being that is concerned about me? 

Nope.  Still can't do it.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 04:33:40 AM »

What makes you think their looking after you , they may just be playing with you like a toy ? Could be they made us and screwed it up  so now they have to take care of their mistake?😲
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Draconis Rex

• Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 08:17:49 AM »

What makes you think their looking after you , they may just be playing with you like a toy ? Could be they made us and screwed it up  so now they have to take care of their mistake?😲

Now there's some theories I've toyed with myself over the years, Kind of begs the age old question "Why am I here?"

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »

so now [we] have to take care of their mistake?

Fixed.  :P

;D ;D

blue

• Birch
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »

Now there's some theories I've toyed with myself over the years, Kind of begs the age old question "Why am I here?"

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that we're here for the growth and evolution of our spirit.

Everything else is so temporary. It ( whatever "IT" is) seems important when you're in the moment. When you step back, and look at it objectively,then it doesn't seem all that important anymore.

Perhaps you have to be able to let go of all the things keeping you tied to this world before you can move on to whatever might come next ?

cheese

• Orange
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 06:50:51 AM »

Well, things have taken a turn for the dramatic.  And not in a good way.

Our little Grove was scheduled to celebrate Lughnasadh last weekend in Baton Rouge.  However, about two weeks ago, the leaders changed the location to New Orleans.  This meant that myself and my girlfriend couldn't make it, as we had other commitments that didn't work with an hour and half drive to NOLA. 

On the facebook page the drama llama promptly appeared and a few people raised objections.  I didn't have a problem with the decision, I had a problem that it wasn't allowed to be discussed before the leaders changed venue's.

And then... they deleted all posts were people disagreed with them and said that if we had a problem, then we had to do it via PM.  It was as if we weren't allowed to discuss problems or issues.  And it seemed like the leaders want to present a sanitized "we're so happy" version of the Grove to the prospective members in NOLA.

It left a really bad taste in our mouths, so we called up the older, more established grove in town and will celebrate Lughnasahd with them on Saturday.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up