Welcome, Guest
December 15, 2018, 03:19:37 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Authors to avoid?  (Read 1823 times)

RosaArkansana

• Meṁber
  • Alder
Authors to avoid?
« on: December 07, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »

Hello everyone! So I've been reading as much as I can before I start my dedication and I ran into Silver Ravenwolf. After doing some research on them I'm not sure if they'd be a good source of information. I've found the wonderful reading list already and have been making my way down it but also wondering if there are authors to avoid? Thank you.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Authors to avoid?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:07:33 PM »

Well for a start she's one to avoid . Anything that tell you in the chapter titles about love spell and spell to get even with someone that has wrong you or things of that nature stay away from . The authors list on this site are there because they have been read and what they state has the right feel to it . One thing to avoid are site that will teach you the craft on-line ( for a fee ) . Is there a book or books you wish specifically to know about , Then post their titles and see if anyone here has read them . You can away check out the reviews on-line or in your local library . Also what does the publisher list the book under , this will be on the back cover, if it's list as new-age then that is what you'll find someone personal view on what they believe . If it says religion or Witchcraft or Wicca then you may want to get it . First check and see if your library has a copy so if you like it you will not have wasted your money .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »

Hi RosaArkansana,

Have you ever done any goldpanning? You shovel, sort, wash and discard a great deal of worthless gravel, but with luck you might find a nugget or two. Reading books on Witchcraft, Wicca and Magic is a bit like that. And some authors are richer in nuggets than others.

My advice would be to read as much as you feel able to - then read some more. Many authors in this area read and copy each others' books, so if you find the same bit of information in two or more different sources, that doesn't necessarily mean it's true! Read everything you can find - even Silver Ravenwolf has a few nuggets - but read with a healthy dose of scepticism, which is often just another word for applied common sense. If something doesn't ring true for you, then make a note, and move on. And make notes. Lots of notes; start a journal, and write everything down that feels important. And don't confine your reading to just books on Witchcraft and Magic; read history, mythology, psychology, science; even in fiction, you can find useful information and ideas.

I'm not going to recommend specific books, since everyone's Path is different; but the Farrars are very comprehensive, Buckland is good, anything by Valiente, Huson, Cunningham, Starhawk and Penczack is worth reading, and Gardner himself of course for the historical perspective, Margaret Murray should be read cautiously, and avoid Montague Summers. There are, of course many others too. And no-one - no-one - has all the answers!

I wish you every success in your endeavours; may your Path bring you joy and fulfillment. Blessed Be,

Alchymist.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:34:55 PM by Alchymist »
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

marisol

• Redwood
  • Blessed be all in the Goddess
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »

Hi Rosa,

I have never agreed with avoiding authors unless I seriously disagreed the subject written about. All authors interject personal opinion into what is written. Sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. Each path is individualized, that is unavoidable. So read as much as possible, don't waste money though. If what you read feels troubling discard it. Trust first impressions. Good luck on your journey.

Blessings,

Marisol ;)
Protect your 2nd amendment rights.

What do you seek?

Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are.   Kurt Cobain

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 10:31:05 PM »

Doctor Johannes Faust.  Specifically his book "The Black Raven".  But...if you SHOULD feel the desire to explore this dangerous tome, make sure to NEVER read it aloud, unless inside the protective circle described in the "warning" section at the beginning of the book (and be sure to read ALL of the warnings).  Unless of course you actually WANT an unremovable demonic entity to attach itself to you.  Then, by all means, ignore the warning section completely.   8)
"Here, but now I'm gone."

Vigdisdotter

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »

Personally it wouldn't be a list of avoided (except the Frosts, no one needs that pedophile crap >_<) but rather a Authors To Not Waste Money On list.

In them is SRW, Eden McCoy, Barbara Walker, Edred Thorsson and DJ Conway....off the top of my head.  Honestly MOST books you are better off getting out of the library. but when you find one that speaks yo you, by all means buy it so that you can have it on hand :)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:59:00 AM »

It doesn't always hurt to have or read books on these lists, that way you know what to avoid, and also having read them you have a legitimate opinion of what the content is all about when someone asks about them.

Just sayin'
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »

It doesn't always hurt to have or read books on these lists, that way you know what to avoid, and also having read them you have a legitimate opinion of what the content is all about when someone asks about them.

Just sayin'
Some books are so bad they're classics,  You're almost at a disadvantage if you haven't actually read them.  They're almost a part of our history in their own right.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Kuerden D˙ghlas

• Willow
  • I've always lived for and by the special ...
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

Just sayin'
Some books are so bad they're classics,  You're almost at a disadvantage if you haven't actually read them.  They're almost a part of our history in their own right.

So true. And some are so bad, they're good. LOL

But I generally avoid most books with a certain crescent moon on the spine, but especially McCoy, Conway, Barbara Walker. Not a fan of Penczack either.
"Witchcraft fulfills a need in me to know that harmony can be created from discord."--Sybil Leek
Pages: [1]   Go Up