Welcome, Guest
April 19, 2018, 06:16:05 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self-Dedication - yes or no?  (Read 90 times)

sophia

• Meṁber
  • Alder
Self-Dedication - yes or no?
« on: April 03, 2018, 11:43:38 AM »

Hi,

I was reading through some message boards and on a discussion about Scott Cunningham, there was a comment that suggested that you cannot be self-initiated. Can someone clarify why this is so? I'm reading Cunningham's Living Wicca at the moment and even though I haven't gotten that far yet I gather he advocates it for solitary practitioners and so does Kate West.

arrowolf

• Meṁber
  • Willow
Re: Self-Dedication - yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:54:42 PM »

I believe that would depend on the context of the initiation. If you are regarding a particular group, coven, grove, etc. then there might be certain initiations that can't be done solo. If you are a solitary practitioner, then you would be self-initiating into the craft or whatever path you have chosen to follow. Just my thoughts, but hope it helps.

May the stream ever flow.....

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 02:36:34 AM »

Initiation is the process of being accepted into a group, whether it be a sorority/fraternity, religious group, coven, etc. Technically speaking, a person cannot self initiate. Self-dedication serves the same purpose (minus the group dynamic) as being initiated into a coven. You're dedicating yourself to follow a spiritual path, to follow certain guidelines, etc.

sophia

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »

Thanks for this. It was helpful. So, just to clarify initiation and dedication are two different things? Dedication can be done solo but initiation must be with a group?

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

Basically, yes.

From Wiktionary:

initiation (countable and uncountable, plural initiations)
1.The act of initiating, or the process of being initiated or introduced
initiation into a society

initiation into business

initiation into literature

2.The form or ceremony by which a person is introduced into any society; mode of entrance into an organized body; especially, the rite of admission into a secret society or order.

An initiation is essentially a ceremony accepting/introducing a person into a society or group. In regards to Wicca, a large part of initiation is dedicating yourself to following the Wiccan (or other Pagan path) way. Self-dedication serves the same purpose and is between you and the Goddess/God. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you desire.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 02:00:26 PM »

This can also be said about self-initiating , that if you follow a path that differs from all the rest and you self train to master your own way then you can be the only one to self - initiate yourself ;D ;D .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

arrowolf

• Meṁber
  • Willow
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »

I joined the OBOD, and started Bardic grade the last week and a half of March this year. Ideally you want to do the grade initiation in a group setting, but in the states (especially the bible belt) it is a lot harder to do so. This is so true where I live. If you are in a situation like mine, self-initiation is your option until said time that you can be in a group setting. So hope to go to one of the gatherings this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up