Welcome, Guest
November 13, 2018, 05:27:52 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 419 times)

SouthernWolf

• Meṁber
  • Elm
Hello everyone!
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:28:07 PM »

I've been browsing around the forums as a guest for a couple of weeks now and finally decided to join. I guess first here is a bit of background on what led me here.

Being raised Catholic, I felt like something didn't quite jive for me probably 15 or more years ago, but the first time Wicca or neopaganism came to my attention was a couple of years ago when I was at Air Force basic training. Fun fact: they actually offer a Wicca option on sundays for people to attend, along with the more traditional religions. Anyway, my bunkmate was Wiccan and he would go every sunday. The thing is you have to have a wingman go with you anywhere you go.
Well one Sunday his usual guy wasn't able to go for whatever reason, and since it seemed extremely important to him, I volunteered to go along.
The guy who is up in front speaking is going over just basic Wiccan beliefs. He mentioned the God and the Goddess, the Rede, and the central importance of nature and the elements. And seeing as how I was raised Catholic, I thought it was odd how a lot of what he was saying made sense to me.
Then he says he is going to have us do a sort of guided meditation. So we closed our eyes, and honestly at this point I was hoping for a power nap. Most of the way through basic training and I was beat. But this is where it gets interesting, I don't necessarily recall him speaking and guiding us beyond him saying "Picture you are at the top of some stairs and there is a door at the bottom. What does the door look like?". After that all I recall is what I can best describe as my vision until he had us open our eyes again.

As I went down the stairs, the door came into focus and it was a dark brown wood, very old, with an amethyst handle. I opened the door and it was immediately bright, and as my eyes adjusted to the light, I realized I was standing near the water at my maternal grandparents house on a bay along the Alabama gulf coast. (Side note: this place has always been incredibly special to me. It's one of the very few places I feel at peace. The energy there is almost like a vibration that can be physically felt. It's absolutely amazing.)
So as I look around I notice a large dark wolf (it could have been grey or black) with vibrant violet eyes sitting by the water maybe 100ft away calmly watching me. It never spoke, but it stood up and began walking out onto the pier in front of the house. Somehow I knew it wanted me to follow it. As we near the end of the pier, there is a man sitting on the edge looking out over the water. The wolf moved off to the left and silently laid down, observing. The man stood and turned and I saw it was my paternal grandfather (growing up he would always tell me how special I was and how I would do great things. He was probably the most excited about me joining the military, having served several years himself. We buried him a week to the day before I left for basic training. He never saw me in uniform.)
From here it gets a bit fuzzy, but basically he just told me how proud he was and that I could accomplish anything I set my heart and mind to. And that was it. When the speaker told us to open our eyes I realized I had tears on my face, it had somehow been 15 minutes, AND I most certainly did NOT  get my power nap. Haha. But I never really pursued Wicca after that.

Anyway, Wicca came up in a conversation a few weeks ago, so I did some google-fu and ended up here. Bought a couple of books off the recommended list, and am beginning to explore. I'm  not sure where this path will lead, but I'm looking forward to every step and to getting to know all of you. And holy crap this post got waaaay longer than expected. I can sometimes be a bit long winded. Sorry everyone!!

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:24 AM »

An interesting back story Wolf and a good intro to get you started, there are a goodly few here who may be considered formerly Catholic along with other backgrounds besides.

We all have different reasons and circumstances that have brought us all to our respective paths, some of them you will find here on the boards. You will also find that many of us walk different paths but we all share together and there has been much discussion in the process. Feel free to browse through them and anything else you care to view, we have a decent search engine here so if you're looking for anything in particular; go ahead and use that. Anything you can't find, or any other queries, just ask and someone should point you in the right direction.

And with that, welcome to TCC; we hope you find all you seek and enjoy your time with us.

Drac
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

SouthernWolf

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »

Thanks for the welcome! One of the things I like the most so far is the diversity of different paths. It's an amazing thing

Canis

• Ash
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »

Welcome to TCC from another former Catholic.

Branwen

• Meṁber
  • Willow
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:22:58 PM »

No need to be sorry! I enjoyed reading your post. Welcome to TCC.
Light and dark both shine bright,
One visible in the day and one at night.
Put them together, the scale becomes clear,
Without each-other neither would be here.

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:33:41 PM »

Welcome to our Forum SouthernWolf! May you find the Path that brings you joy and wisdom, mirth and reverence - and if you find it here, doubly welcome.

Blessed be,
Alchymist
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

SouthernWolf

• Meṁber
  • Elm
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody!

arrowolf

• Meṁber
  • Willow
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 11:26:17 PM »

Welcome!!!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 11:04:24 AM »

Well met Southern Wolf , may the path you now follow bring to you the fullness that all should have .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1]   Go Up