Welcome, Guest
June 23, 2018, 08:45:31 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a fear of witches in our community?  (Read 349 times)

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
Re: Is there a fear of witches in our community?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »

Hey , I'm not out in the same sphere I uses to be in so I really am not up to date on happenings in the magical community .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 02:06:03 PM »

I know,   You just get to be a sounding board for my rant(s).
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »

Fine with me , rant away
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »

I'm a most peculiar witch... while I studied Wicca early on, I never really adopted it.  I had other influences that pulled me down a different path.  I understand, however that it's hard to separate magic from Wicca; it would make you, in a sense, secular, and reliant on rote practice, much like the Christian who goes to church each Sunday for absolution, but does as they please the rest of the week. I don't see Christianity that way, nor is it easy for me to view Wicca without the ceremony, belief and practice that goes with it.
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 08:48:33 AM »

Sorry my wrong , brain going bad . It wasn't worshipper of nature it was " moon learned or taught "

I think a lot of people see it as two different things and not just two parts of a whole . I have notice that in book stores that you will find books on Wicca in with the nature books , like plants and herb growing and books on Witchcraft in with the con temporary religions or new age section .

Correct me but I understood that the name Wici was and old Saxon - Danish word as in Wica ( female ) Wice ( male ) and Wici (the people ) who worshipped the deities of Nature ?.

Ashe , are these people just people in general or do they seem to belong to a certain age group etc.?.

Must be nice to live where you live Drac .  p,s, how's the fishing  ;D

Branwen

• Meṁber
  • Willow
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »

I’ve not met any other wiccans personally but I feel like teens in particular are ill  informed and get their information from bad sources. Also Hollywood movies have always painted witchcraft as this “evil” thing and it’s obviously the intent of the user but growing up watching stuff like that can make people resent the craft even if they claim to be Wiccan. Also if a teen is claiming to be Wiccan and is just starting out they might be nervous talking about their religion and just be like “oh no witchcraft though” cause of others presidencies. I am Wiccan but I just tell people I’m pagan because it’s a word others are familiar with. And just saying that I’ve had people stop talking to me, call me satanic, say “but you celebrate Christmas” (that’s a whole other story), I’ve had someone say “but your white?” And I was really confused. Why would someone think that’s relevant? Some of my friends just don’t talk about religion to me cause they feel awkward about mine and some of my other friends poke some sarcasm and eye rolls and questioned “is that even a real religion?” And to that I said “is yours?” And then they stopped talking. So I really think the whole “I’m Wiccan but don’t do witchcraft” thing comes from a place of bad information,  representation in society and not being comfortable with themselves in their path.
Light and dark both shine bright,
One visible in the day and one at night.
Put them together, the scale becomes clear,
Without each-other neither would be here.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 01:41:31 PM »

Sorry my wrong , brain going bad . It wasn't worshipper of nature it was " moon learned or taught "

I think a lot of people see it as two different things and not just two parts of a whole . I have notice that in book stores that you will find books on Wicca in with the nature books , like plants and herb growing and books on Witchcraft in with the con temporary religions or new age section .

Correct me but I understood that the name Wici was and old Saxon - Danish word as in Wica ( female ) Wice ( male ) and Wici (the people ) who worshipped the deities of Nature ?.

Ashe , are these people just people in general or do they seem to belong to a certain age group etc.?.

Must be nice to live where you live Drac .  p,s, how's the fishing  ;D

It wasn't "worshipers of nature" or "moon learned or taught", actually.  Wicca, wicce, wicci did denote a witchcraft, though the origin of the root word is unknown.  It's thought to go back further to the word for bent or twisted (like wicker furniture) because witches were though to bend and shape reality.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »

I'll try to find the book I read it in and the word was not Wice , wici or wica but was shorten to that and it was like a trade tongue between the Saxon and  Danes before 1000 c.e. . To many books  :D :D .

blue

• Birch
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 04:15:35 PM »

I wonder if it might be part of a larger social trend. We live in a fast paced world these days

The Toltec has been greatly simplified and reinvented as Nagualism.

The AF&AM has all but abandoned ritual in some states.It's possible to receive all three degrees in a single day after attending a class & performing a certain amount of community service hours. When ritual is talked about it's more often referred to as a series of harmless plays.

The OES seems all but dead. ( It's heavily steeped in ritual. ) There's little or no new blood coming in to fill the shoes of the dearly departed. The interest just desn't seem to be there.

Can't imagine there are very many of the "Old Guard" left. Without dogma and structure to hold the line unchanging Wicca morphed into wicca and the more difficult & demanding aspects of the practice were shed along the way ?

Overall, the young people that i talk with seem to have a bias against all religion in favor of science & reasoned thinking. Thanks Bill Maher & Religilous ?

Maybe the spiritual and philosophical aspects of a religion are acceptable but a ritual practice of the craft is a bit too far out there for the young people of today ?

Micheál

• Orange
  • Yeeeooo!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »

In neopagan and magical communities probably not so much, but I guess it's a word that still carries around some stigma generally. Outside of the modern, reclaimed definitions, traditionally it can still signify those that practice malicious and harmful magic.

I usually just say Wiccan if I'm speaking with someone outside our communities until I'm more aware of their perception, then might clarify from there.
Semper Fi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up