Welcome, Guest
May 19, 2019, 07:59:16 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigil, can it be art?  (Read 288 times)

Branwen

• Willow
Sigil, can it be art?
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:56 AM »

So I have a question here, I have a friend who has been going through a really hard time lately. I have been thingking about making a Sigil for her out of a sentance she makes for herself (I feel it is very important I get the right idea and intent). I was thinking about making it in my printmaking class. Would it be wrong to make an art peice out of a Sigil? Should I be more modest about it? To me art is about creating meaning and provoking thought and  ideas and creating interaction. I thought this would pair well with a Sigil. Please enlighten me with your perspective
Light and dark both shine bright,
One visible in the day and one at night.
Put them together, the scale becomes clear,
Without each-other neither would be here.

Alchymist

• Ash
  • Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!
Re: Sigil, can it be art?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »

Greetings Branwen,

I'd say it's an excellent idea to make art from a sigil - or to make a sigil in the form of art. If nothing else, to create an image from the squiggle that most sigils seem to take the form of, makes it easier to remember and easier to visualise, which is what sigil magic is all about. Myself, I tend to do this with every sigil I create.

As an aside - I wonder if the words "sigil" and "squiggle" come from the same root, in Latin or Greek or something??. . . Just a thought . . . .

Blessed Be,

Alchymist
"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And sometimes, he shall wish he hadn't."

Believe nothing: question everything: think for yourself!

Branwen

• Willow
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:46:12 AM »

Thank you Alchymist! And that is an interesting thought, they are very similar   ;D

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »

You can do it in form of animals like a Egyptian cartouche with the different animals spelling the words . You can put things like her zodiac sign in , inset with different pieces of enamel or even small crystal shards . A lot of sigils are two sided with one side being the ( wish, pray ) to who she calls on with the other side being ( hope , dream ) she wishes to happen or the spell of protection etc..
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Branwen

• Willow
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 11:22:07 AM »

Normally my sigils are more simple but you have given me somethings to think about. I will definitely be trying new techniques thank you oldghost :)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:08:06 PM »

I think can be anything that helps you focus it in your mind...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:40:42 AM »

When you make your Sigil remember to cleanse it first and charge it only when it is complete . If you make it for someone else have them charge it with their energy . :-p
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper
Pages: [1]   Go Up