Welcome, Guest
August 15, 2018, 01:54:06 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: Read THIS if you want to be Wiccan.  (Read 78178 times)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
Read THIS if you want to be Wiccan.
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:49:47 PM »

Wicca is a man-made religion.  It was CREATED in the middle of the last century By Gerald Brosseau Gardner.  It took teachings from many magical paths, combined them with teachings he received from existing witches of the day, got hold of some other, like-minded Spiritual people, and here we are.

Wicca is a real religion, with REAL dogma and tenets of faith JUST LIKE the religion you are leaving behind.  Wicca is described in the rede, credo, tenets, principles, and other writings of Gardner himself, Doreen Valiente, Alex Sanders, Ray Buckland, the Frosts, and MANY others.

Wicca is a seeking path.  It is a mystery religion.  You NEED to seek.  You NEED to read.  I'm not talking about the "easy" books.  I'm not talking about the ones with pictures of unicorns or swooshing Nimbus 2000's on the cover.  I'm talking, in as near a way as I can, about SCRIPTURE.

This ain't McDonalds'.  There's no "Wiccan Dollar Menu" of what you can/can't have or do.  MAGIC is a part of it....YES, there is the "reverence for Mother Nature" part, and there's nothing wrong with it.  But again....this isn't Burger King.  You don't "Get It Your Way".  You "get it" OUR way.  Now, once you GET IT, you can add salt and pepper and ketchup and anything else you like to FLAVOR it, but you can NOT throw out the two-all-beef-patties and STILL call it a BURGER.  You don't HAVE to be a vegan to be WICCAN. (Sorry, Mr. Ventimiglia, but you are WRONG...). 

You can wear black all day and all night.  You can goth it up till Marilyn Manson swoons at the sight of you.  Will it make you a better / deeper / more devout Wiccan than I am?  Not in THIS lifetime!  You can tell your mom and pop.  You can tell your co-workers.  You can tell your kids.  I don't know WHY, but you CAN.  Will it work any better than the black eyeliner and the pentacle bigger-than-your-head when it comes to DEDICATION?  I'll let you answer that, because if you haven't gotten it yet, you probably won't.

If you don't "want to do anything from the dark arts / left-hand-path / black magic / curses / hexes / whatEVER...."....You didn't read ANYTHING from any of the people I mentioned in the beginning of this diatribe.  Go LOOK AGAIN.  I'll wait....

Feel better yet?  Good.

ALL of this is to say, (as has been said in these hallowed fora more than once...), WICCA IS NOT a fashion statement.  A "phase".  A tool for you to shock your parents, teachers, spouse, BFF4EAE, or the cop on the beat.  It's NOT a way to get "the day off of work for Sam Hain".  Or a way to justify ANY behavior you choose, UNLESS that behavior happens to be as a model citizen, a pillar of the community, loved and revered as holy by ALL who meet you....and NOT by spellcraft, but by being the kind of person who would EARN those laurels.

I have been Wiccan, (looking at the demographics of the membership...), longer than MORE THAN HALF of the members here have been alive.  I have seen the newest "fashions" and "trends" in Wicca come and go.  I am here to tell you that the TRUE FAITH is STILL OUT THERE, waiting, NOT for millions of Halliwells, but for ONE Wiccan at a time to approach the altar and declare themselves.

For those of you still reading, thank you.  And thank you in advance for your understanding when I jump on some nit-wit in a Miley Cyrus t-shirt whining about how her mommy won't let her have candles.

For those of you who know me well, you'll recognize the way this post has been put together, or rather it's lack thereof.  Thank you for your kindness.

There are deer calling me.  I have to go and find thenm in the morning.  Good night, and blesse be.

How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

lestat

• Hawthorn
  • In your yard, interfering with your cabbages..
Re: Read THIS if you want to be Wiccan.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 09:03:09 PM »

Well put. I see this post getting linked back many a time.

I also see the emergence of a new title. McWiccans ;) .

Now i'm off to find sugar, spice and everything nice.
With fangs I would bite you,
Lips kiss you,
Heart love you,
A Will, leave you

FireWillow

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 01:45:07 AM »

I'm FireWillow and I approve this message.

Awesome post, Mr. DJ!

AkashaRose

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 07:09:12 AM »

One word:

Excellence! 

;D

soulfire

• Ash
  • telestic witch
    • Believe in You!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:03:12 AM »

*applause* from a non-Wiccan with a great deal of respect for said religion.
Striving for authenticity- which is not often politically correct. Get over it.

I RESPECT YOUR INDIVIDUALITY AND OPINIONS, PLEASE RESPECT MINE cuz i'll say it.

wynturchylde

• Cypress
  • Above the world so high Like a teatray in the sky
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:21:58 AM »

C_A you truly are a delight, you say everything that my strict upbringing wont allow me to! Thanks for the wonderful post!  :D
Starkle Starkle little Bat
How I wonder what youre at

Due to the recession the 7course gormet meal you paid for will be replaced with instant ramen and m&ms

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin funny but I don't know why
Scuse me while I kiss the sk

Rhea Li

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »

It is rare that I bow to anyone. I bow to you, C_A.

::bowingdudefromoldforum::
::clappingdudefromoldforum::

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »

Could not have been said any better. Thank you.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

MistyW0lf

• Pine
  • Blessed Be
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »

Well Put C_A  :)
Keep calm and Chair Mode Activate

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 04:30:11 PM »

Well said my friend.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »

Instead of echoing the agreement, care to share WHY you are agreeing & what parts?  :)
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

FireWillow

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:20:49 PM »

Sure....

It echos my sentiments to a tee & all of it.

IMO, any it's a work of art in and of itself.  Any elaboration would be redundant.  It's pretty self explanatory.  Wicca simply is NOT whatever one wants it to be nor is it something that's meant to be spoon fed. *shrugs*

Let us hope that this message serves its purpose.  That said, I suspect it will be of value only to those who are ready for it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 07:22:40 PM by FireWillow »

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 07:50:53 PM »

I am agreeing because this is something that has needed said for quite some time. So many people come on here not understanding Wicca is as real a religion as any other. They needed to hear that it is real, its taken quite seriously by those who actually follow it and that its not a game.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:09:39 PM by Arnemetia »
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:22 PM »

Honestly, I can see thing being good for more than the McWiccans. When I first started learning about Wicca and paganism I would have appreciated something like this. I have since figured out that Wicca is not, at least at this point, the right path for me, but it took me a while to get to that point. When people begin learning, even if they have the best intentions, I don't think they tend to focus on the scripture. Reminders like C_A's are not only refreshing, they make you stop and take a good hard look at what you are thinking.

Now, I'm off to go get a Double-Quarter-Pounder, with cheese. Hold the burger. ;)
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Wolf

• Oak
  • I've found Paradise.
    • Lupine Creations
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »

I am agreeing because this is something that has needed said for quite some time. So many young people come on here not understanding Wicca is as real a religion as any other. They needed to hear that it is real, its taken quite seriously by those who actually follow it and that its not a game.

"Old people", too.

Reality isn't based on popular opinion.

For I am....a tree.
"How absolute the knave is! We must speak by the card, or equivocation will undo us."~Hamlet
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Up