Welcome, Guest
August 19, 2018, 10:45:13 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: In response to any perceived harsh responses to newcomers  (Read 37862 times)

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
Re: In response to any perceived harsh responses to newcomers
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 07:04:38 PM »

That might be true, but a LOT of people don't realize that.  They show up and get beaten down and depending on the type of person they are might get very hurt and/or never come back or try any more.  Some will get angry and "fight" back even if there was no fight to start with.  Others will realize what's going on and play along or at least acknowledge it.  Part of this is due to the unemotional internet which makes misunderstandings much easier.  Also, some people will say things online that they would never say to a person's face.

You say that this is a way to measure a person and it does to a point.  However do we really want the shy people to run in terror and never do more than lurk again when they finally choose to say something and then get pasted to a wall for it?  Letting newcomers know what to expect and reminding the general populace not to skin them alive isn't a bad thing...
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

ejfinch

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 07:09:21 AM »

At the very least, no one should be shredded in their introductory post! That is just unbelievably rude.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 10:25:57 AM »

At the very least, no one should be shredded in their introductory post! That is just unbelievably rude.
Did this happen? I always thought this was a fairly "easy on the hazing" board. Anyone who gets ripped to bits on their intro here, must have said something really stupid or offensive. Another board I post on, has an unwritten 50 post rule, that gives n00bs 50 posts to get the feel of the place before we tear them to pieces. It's a good idea. And it works.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

ejfinch

« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 10:44:20 AM »

Yes, Serp, it has, unfortunately. I completely agree-that is a very good rule.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2010, 11:32:15 AM »

Actually I do to.  That might be something to consider.

And, btw, yes, it has happened...  multiple times and not all of them were off the charts out there.  Newbie crushing used to be MUCH worse here than it is now.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »

Actually I do to.  That might be something to consider.

And, btw, yes, it has happened...  multiple times and not all of them were off the charts out there.  Newbie crushing used to be MUCH worse here than it is now.
Maybe they're just getting more resistant! We have become complacent. We must introduce new levels of brutality to compensate, otherwise they will be flocking here in their hordes! We've already had a Werewolf, some Discordians, and a couple of Otherkin slip through!
It's the thin end of the wedge! This is how it begins. (It will all end up like Mystikwyts)
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »

Actually I do to.  That might be something to consider.

jturner only has 17 posts. Just saying.
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

mik

• Elm
  • Just on a journey not the years ,the life in them
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2010, 06:24:04 PM »

i'd like to believe there are good people on this site, but so far they seem to be in the silent majority. most of what i have encountered has been ridicule and childish bickering. i am really debating whether or not to leave. this was my haven when i started witchcraft, but now it seems no one can open their mouths around here without having someone leap down their throat. it's very saddening.

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2010, 07:50:13 PM »

MIK and Skywolf, there are many good teachers on this site.  Some do not have the patience to work with those new to the paths.  That does not mean they do not have much to offer.  Just ignore their snide remarks and find the lesson within them.  There is always the PM system and feel free to pm any mod or elder to help you out.  Or any other member for that matter.  Blessimgs, Arnemetia
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Hjolmaer

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2010, 08:02:09 PM »

What Arn said.

That, and sometimes those "good people" have major life issues crop up, and aren't online as much as they'd like to be.

Read threads.  Pay attention to typing/communication styles.  Read between the lines.  If you believe someone can help you, or teach you, and you wish to communicate with them without fear of reprisal from other members, send them a PM as Arn said.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »

Bump to highlight for the newcomers.

There are EIGHT threads stickied to the top of THIS SECTION ALONE.  They are pinned here for a reason.  If you DON'T feel that YOU, in your infinite wisdom and kewlness, need to read them but instead can trott out there and "do as thou wilt" without ramification then I FEEL PITY FOR YOUR perception, but NOT for your STATE OF AFFAIRS.

Save yourself the trouble of stomping off in a huff a week from now and just quietly slip out the back door today.  Of course, the mean-spirited sadistic folk like myself who like to PREY on people LIKE YOU will be a tad disappointed, but they WILL get OVER IT...and the vast majority of people here will thank you! 
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »

Bump to highlight for the newcomers.

There are EIGHT threads stickied to the top of THIS SECTION ALONE.  They are pinned here for a reason.  If you DON'T feel that YOU, in your infinite wisdom and kewlness, need to read them but instead can trott out there and "do as thou wilt" without ramification then I FEEL PITY FOR YOUR perception, but NOT for your STATE OF AFFAIRS.

Save yourself the trouble of stomping off in a huff a week from now and just quietly slip out the back door today.  Of course, the mean-spirited sadistic folk like myself who like to PREY on people LIKE YOU will be a tad disappointed, but they WILL get OVER IT...and the vast majority of people here will thank you! 
Ha! ITT, C_A's re-iterating his role as "Capn Capslock, Warrior of Wiccadom"!
Don't worry Kids, he doesn't really Prey on the youngblooods. It *does* happen though, so bear that in mind, and don't drink the Koolaid. Good luck.   

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2011, 02:18:21 PM »

Cut it out, Serp...you're giving them a false sense of security and I 'M HUNGRY!
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

gail

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 04:45:39 AM »

Everyone was new at one time and we respectfully ask all of our members to be as patient and helpful with newcomers as they would want others to be with them.  Of course the flip side of this is that as a newcomer we ask you to please look around for topics dealing with your questions before posting them yourself.  Be aware that the same question asked 1,000,000 times will eventually get on anyone's nerves.  Take everything that is said with a grain of salt and remember that everyone is human and has their own unique personalities.  The internet is short on nuance and it is easy to take a rote response as a personal attack if you don't know the person or the intent behind their post.

Thank you.

P.S. You might want to check out this workshop:  http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=3268.0
well said thankyou I am a new to this path and harsh comments are not helpful it will just put me off asking any thing

gail

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2011, 05:20:57 AM »

well said thankyou I am a new to this path and harsh comments are not helpful it will just put me off asking any thing
but having said that reading all the post's here had me in fits of laughter.....
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up