Welcome, Guest
August 15, 2018, 04:21:57 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm interested in Wicca...How do I get started?  (Read 40635 times)

FireWillow

I'm interested in Wicca...How do I get started?
« on: January 18, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »

I couldn't fathom a guess how many times I've come across this question in my tenure of membership on this forum.  I'm creating this thread for the purpose of saving myself or any other experienced practitioners here a great deal of time and effort in answering the same question countless times and saving the newbs a bit of frustration.

So you've heard about Wicca and want to get started.  How much do you know about Wicca, aside from what you've seen on TV or in the movies or what you've read by Silver RavenWolf?  If this is the extent of  your knowledge of Wicca, you have a long way to go.  The first step in getting started is to read everything you can get your hands on about Wicca before you decide that this is the religion (yes, Wicca is a religion) for you.  There are a great deal of books and many websites out there that will tell you most of what you need to know about Wicca.  A great deal of these book titles and links are listed in the stickies in Wicca Q&A.

Okay, so you've read everything you possibly could about Wicca (and have checked out other neo-pagan religions as well) and have decided this is the religion for you.  Great.  Now you have to run out and get a bunch of pentacle necklaces and rings, candles, incenses, herbs, knives, cauldrons, wands, chalices, besoms, bells, etc., right?  Wrong!  I'm not saying that it's wrong to buy any of these things, but it's not necessary to have them all on hand for a big, elaborate first ritual.  They will come to you in due time.  Meanwhile, it is wise to start out with simple rituals.  Take a bit of time to stand before the sun as it rises in the morning.  Feel its energies.  Say a few words to the God in order to acquaint yourself with Him.  In the evening when the moon rises, do the same thing.  Stand before the moon and greet the Goddess.  Become familiar with the lunar energies.  Start taking long walks in a wooded area or through a city park.  Take some time in a quite room and light a candle and perhaps light some incense.  Gaze through the flames of the candle and meditate on what you've learned from what you've read and what you've learned from the simple rituals you've performed.  Leave offerings to the Goddess and God to show appreciation for what you have learned from Them in the form of seeds, a planted tree, getting an orange vest and picking up trash on the roadside, etc.  Set up a recycling plan for your household.  Start buying eco-friendly cleaners and ponder other ways you can protect our environment.  What does this have to do with Wicca?  If you don't know the answer to that, close this window move on to something else or go back and re-read what you've read.

If you get stumped or confused by something you've come across in doing the above, feel free to ask questions of experienced Wiccans, here or elsewhere on the internet, or IRL.  But keep your questions specific.  Most Wiccans aren't too fond of the "tell me all about Wicca" type questions.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:08:49 AM by FireWillow »

lilpnkbnny

• Poplar
Re: I'm interested in Wicca...How do I get started?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 08:09:27 PM »

What he said ^^^

I feel a sticky coming on, but wonders if it will do any good. They seem to always skip the useful information.

*shrugs*
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 11:47:51 PM by lilpnkbnny »
When life gets you down - just put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

*If it has Tires or Testicles it's gonna give you trouble.*

Br0nlessOne

• Fir
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »

Isn't the horned God essentially baphomet revitalized...perhaps due to Eliphas Levi's depiction of him?

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:36:42 AM »

Isn't the horned God essentially baphomet revitalized...perhaps due to Eliphas Levi's depiction of him?

I always liken Pan to the Horned God, but that's my personal preference.
"Here, but now I'm gone."

morningdove

• Ash
  • Nana to an Angel
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 02:57:24 AM »

I always liken Pan to the Horned God, but that's my personal preference.

I agree.
Lost and wondering

FireWillow

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

According to my research, Baphomet first appears in the late 12th century.  If this is accurate, both Cernnunos and Pan predate Baphomet, as there is evidence of both BCE.

Br0nlessOne

• Fir
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:41:03 PM »

According to my research, Baphomet first appears in the late 12th century.  If this is accurate, both Cernnunos and Pan predate Baphomet, as there is evidence of both BCE.

So you're saying that Baphomet is an adaptation of Pan and possibly other fertility gods?   I *think* i read that somewhere before but I can't recall*, at the moment.

*And by "recall" i mean bothered to google

angelmia

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »

Thank you so much for the information, i am reading as much as i find here, i do feel the connection and energy. I shall go the Q&A forum..thank you again... :-)

Pyper

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 06:21:49 PM »

I'm still in the research part of the process, but what continually amazes me is how much history you all know.  I sometimes think that all Wiccans must have been history of relgion majors.  It's truly amazing and a little intimidating.  :)  I hope to know so much some day.  It is one of the reasons I have become so disillusioned about religion.  I feel that "they" are always trying to sell me on something rather than just giving me the honest history of where the ideas came from.  Thank you all for being so open and forthright.

Doktor Howl

• Hazel
  • The Juden of Paganism.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:52 PM »

I'm still in the research part of the process, but what continually amazes me is how much history you all know.  I sometimes think that all Wiccans must have been history of relgion majors.  

Yes, Pagans are to religious history as Charles Dawson is to paleontology.
WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS CREW

FireWillow

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:29 AM »

Yes, Pagans are to religious history as Charles Dawson is to paleontology.

Actually, I'm pretty sure kin to the Piltdown Man were the original practitioners of Wicca.  Unfortunately, this cannot be proven, as the Piltdown Man is now extinct due to the fact that all but a few were accused of witchcraft and burned as the stake during the Burning Times, where over nine million Wiccans perished, many of them these missing links.  There are a few covens of these ancient creatures left in remote areas around the world, and it is said that this is the "witch cult" Gardner was initiated into and is the roots of Wicca as we know it today.

NEVER AGAIN TEH BURNING TIMES!!!!!!!11one

FW,
Descendant of the Wiccan Bigfoot
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:26:41 AM by FireWillow »

Mijska5

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 07:38:41 AM »

I concour

Doktor Howl

• Hazel
  • The Juden of Paganism.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure kin to the Piltdown Man were the original practitioners of Wicca.  Unfortunately, this cannot be proven, as the Piltdown Man is now extinct due to the fact that all but a few were accused of witchcraft and burned as the stake during the Burning Times, where over nine million Wiccans perished, many of them these missing links.  There are a few covens of these ancient creatures left in remote areas around the world, and it is said that this is the "witch cult" Gardner was initiated into and is the roots of Wicca as we know it today.

NEVER AGAIN TEH BURNING TIMES!!!!!!!11one

FW,

Post of the decade.

Dok,
Cleaning coffee off the monitor.
WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS CREW

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 09:05:07 PM »

FW...you outdid yourself this time.
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

DEVIANT_TJ

• Alder
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »

I cant wait to get started! Ummm... I'm really disapointed with myself. I should have been taking more care of our planet and nature it self. But these new found eyes of mine with help with that. I need to start getting my hands on these book and wedsite pages. Thanks for the Info will inform you guys on my progress.. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up