Welcome, Guest
August 25, 2019, 04:01:46 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Wicca and Black Magic go together  (Read 8421 times)

Hjolmaer

Re: Can Wicca and Black Magic go together
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »

First things first:

One thing I read when starting out as always stuck with me:

"Not all Witches are Wiccan, but all Wiccans are Witches"

Where the hell did you read this?

Seriously, I want to know.

Not all Wiccans are witches.  There is a purely devotional side of the religion.  It's been said elsewhere, but those who are Wiccan and not witches are "missing the boat".

Kinda like Dianic Wiccans in that regard.  The hard-core ones, mind.

Secondly:
I took that to mean that you can be a witch & do spells but not follow the Rede.  But I also have a quote from the movie The Craft sticking out (they had Wiccas working on that movie including the actress that played Nancy):

"True Magick is neither black or white, it is both because nature itself is both."

You get bonus points for having the balls to post a quote from that movie here.

In part, it's correct, but it is also partly incorrect.

See, it doesn't matter how we view the world.  Or the things in it.  What is, is.  And sometimes, you do need to "try" to hurt another person.

Situation will dictate.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:05 PM »

Why do you want to make me think when I'm sick???  I forgot where I read it.

I know there are people who don't like the movie.  I like it, I also like Charmed.  Call me crazy.  But, I also look at them both through a bs glass.  I know a TON of things in both are fake & nowhere near the truth.  I didn't learn how to be Wiccan b/c of them.  I saw them after the fact.  I started watching Charmed & then stopped, I came back to it toward the final seasons.  I did my research from books.  I just thought it was an interesting quote.

But, I will see if I can find the book.  May have been one before I met anyone to enlighten me to the truth.  (Y'know, one of those by Silver Ravenwolf or Idiot's Guide......wtf was I thinking???)
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Hjolmaer

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 04:40:14 PM »

Hey, if you can successfully think while sick, imagine how good you'll be at thinking while healthy.

And yeah, I mean The Craft was a decent movie (as far as movies go), but I'm sure you were expecting to catch at least some hell for it.

It was a good quote, though.  There are bits in the movie that do hold true to the Craft.  Not much, and buried deep, but there nonetheless.

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »

YAY!!!!  Something nice!!!  LOL

I knew it would ruffle SOMEONE'S feathers.  My ex HATES that movie, I sorta understand why, but at the same time I don't.  It spreads the word of the religion.  And when someone outside asked about a Charmed, saying they didn't watch because it had "demons" I just had to think, did you WATCH even one ep?  The demons and witches thing was really a backdrop, the show itself was about sisters & the drama they go through.  OY, muggles!

Which brings up another point, I had a Christian say she didn't like the witchcraft bs (of our shared ex), because it's not really anything like Harry Potter.  At times, I WISH there was a REAL Hogwarts or "Magic School".  Might make things easier for people coming into the Craft........
So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgment, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such proof is irrelevant. ~Drizzt Do'Urden

Hjolmaer

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2011, 04:59:38 PM »

There is something like a "Hogwarts".

They're called "covens".

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2011, 05:14:20 PM »

Touche'!! 

I quit!

LOL

Hjolmaer

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2011, 05:32:30 PM »

aloe

• Cypress
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »

Still?  I thought TBM was the last of 'em.

We have a few FORMER Roman Catholics...myself included.

I remember TheBlueMeanie... whatever happened to him? 

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 08:20:39 PM »

Why do you want to make me think when I'm sick???  I forgot where I read it.

I know there are people who don't like the movie.  I like it, I also like Charmed.  Call me crazy.  But, I also look at them both through a bs glass.  I know a TON of things in both are fake & nowhere near the truth.  I didn't learn how to be Wiccan b/c of them.  I saw them after the fact.  I started watching Charmed & then stopped, I came back to it toward the final seasons.  I did my research from books.  I just thought it was an interesting quote.

But, I will see if I can find the book.  May have been one before I met anyone to enlighten me to the truth.  (Y'know, one of those by Silver Ravenwolf or Idiot's Guide......wtf was I thinking???)

Wait, you are telling me I don't get a Whitelighter who will father my adorable blonde children?

SMURF! Someone remind me again why I'm pagan? ;)
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

Lady Brigid

• Cypress
  • Tequila Tits!
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »

Wait, you are telling me I don't get a Whitelighter who will father my adorable blonde children?

Our plans are ruined! Oh whatever shall we do! We've only been planning this since HS!!!
Dear Gods help me!
;)
Team Ex-Marine Superhero Awesomeness GO!!!

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »

Yeah, but you already have an adorable baby, so you're at least half way there
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

alyceavary

• Hawthorn
  • To each his own.....
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2011, 09:27:23 PM »

I wanna know what the hell happened to MY whitelighter??  It's been 8 yrs...lol

blessed of coyote

• Cypress
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2011, 09:28:09 AM »

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Coyote tells me of a wise man who once made that point, and no one cared. Coyote says that for these people magic has to have a k and deal with spirits and faeries and gods and patchouli and athames. Coyote suggests attempting to compare magick with SCIENCE and technonology will go no where here.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Coyote tells me of a wise man who once made that point, and no one cared. Coyote says that for these people magic has to have a k and deal with spirits and faeries and gods and patchouli and athames. Coyote suggests attempting to compare magick with SCIENCE and technonology will go no where here.

If Coyote thinks that then he obviously doesn't look past the surface layer of things and I'd always thought more of him than that.

As one of the people who spells magick with a K (because that's how it was spelled when I was learning and because I like the differentiation if anyone cares) I strongly suggest a book called The Eagle's Quest by Fred Alan Wolf (who has a PhD in theoretical physics).  The blurb on the cover is "A physicist finds scientific truth at the heart of the shamanic world."

I also strongly suggest Coyote stop making assumptions.  :)
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2011, 09:38:59 PM »

I remember TheBlueMeanie... whatever happened to him? 

I miss him. 

I don't know.
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up