Welcome, Guest
August 25, 2019, 04:01:49 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Whyd o most christians feel paganism is the work of the devil?  (Read 19921 times)

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
Re: Whyd o most christians feel paganism is the work of the devil?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »

WWGD?

He would run down the street naked, brandishing a snow-shovel while shouting at squirrels that he is the second coming of Christ.
Trump is still your President.

Diviner

• Elm
  • Eclectic
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »

Why do most christians feel paganism is the work of the devil? 

This question is one of those all time questions isn't it???!!!  The thing about it is Christianity is a narrow minded religion.... for the narrow minded person.  Don't get me wrong... most of my family is Christians... but what they really just don't get is that no matter how a person decideds to worship if it be a God Goddess,  all as one.... all are one.... one big ol divine power that if they would really think about it... we all just could be worshiping the same power.... and who are they ... or should I say who appointed them to point fingers when doesn't the Bible say no one should pass judgement on anyone or anything????  Doesn't that wave a BIG RED FLAG in their faces saying if that person just doesn't come out and say they worshiping something evil and they are going TO GET OR EAT YOU ALL!!!!  ( I don't know what they would say other then yeah I'm into some dark sh*t!!! )  and trust me people that are into stuff like that WILL just tell you they are....  then they should just let that person be themselves and live their life... cause they don't know nothing about Wicca to not know that to harm none is what we do!!!!! 

Sorry... I rant!!!! LOL!!!!   ;D
*/Looking Through The Minds Eye\*

Mijska5

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

When my family found out I was studying wicca, they had completely shunned me. "We will not have black magic burn our house down into hell" or something of the sort.

I have to hide it until I go out on my own.

And my own father, raised roman catholic, now lutheran, said to me, "That's not how I raised you. I refuse to believe in magic or that we evolved from monkeys."

*shrugs*

And I was impressed when I read this:
People are told the pentagram is evil...just like the swastika has a bad rep...it was origionally an ancient good luck sign...now ruined...too bad

Not many people know that the Swastika is a revised version of an ancient symbol of luck.

Not many people *I* know anyway...

...and I don't know that many people...

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »

When my family found out I was studying wicca, they had completely shunned me. "We will not have black magic burn our house down into hell" or something of the sort.

I have to hide it until I go out on my own.

And my own father, raised roman catholic, now lutheran, said to me, "That's not how I raised you. I refuse to believe in magic or that we evolved from monkeys."

*shrugs*

And I was impressed when I read this:
Not many people know that the Swastika is a revised version of an ancient symbol of luck.

Not many people *I* know anyway...

...and I don't know that many people...

Here's a button you should buy to wear around your family, Mij--   ;D

And here's the link for the website to buy it from--

http://evolvefish.com/fish/glbt.html
Trump is still your President.

Mijska5

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »

I don't think so... :)

I'm off to work now

Mitch

• Cypress
  • Mitch the Witch
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2010, 01:25:17 PM »

LOL Only you, Snake-Man
We are not human beings on a spiritual journey...
we are spiritual beings on a human journey.

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 05:08:10 PM »

Lots of Christians believe that other Christian denominations with different ideas are the work of the Devil too. They even invented a kind of game, where they would  pick some denomination or other, (usually a quite small one) then round up all the members of it they could find, and burn them.
"Heresy", I think they called it. The Spanish Inquisition were particularly good at it, under Tomas deTorquemada. (There's a man who took his job seriously)
They weren't too bothered about what your doctrine was, as they already had all the confessions of guilt written up, beforehand. All you had to do, if you fell into their clutches, was sign your name to it. (After the traditional torture, of course) Then they burned you alive. 

However, they no longer play like this, and the power of the Church has become more fragmented and factional as a result.
Which beggars the question, 'Why are so many Pagans bothered about what Christians think of them?'

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Hjolmaer

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 05:12:23 PM »

Which beggars the question, 'Why are so many people bothered by what other people think of them?'

Minor revision.  Don't mind me.

moonkitten

• Orange
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 06:11:51 PM »

imagine how boring it must be to be a real christian and really mean it, rather than all those people who just call themselves christian because its like a social shield, if you have your papers citizen you don't need to prove it by going to church regularly, but for every gruop theres always going to be those who take it further and for those ones who really believe then i guess it just makes it more exciting to believe everyone out there is an agent of satan, imagine, it'd make going down to the shops to buy some holy milk like an action adventure movie, those two young men holding hands must be wanting to deflile our children omgz, that older woman without a wedding band must be a witch must escape alive oh no she's looking at me, save me jesus, oh thank the lord it worked and she's now pretending to be interested in her book again in shame, oh hello mr priest, yeah, don't worry about fiddling with those boys, i'm sure they tempted you, and you like, apoligisted to god and stuff so yay team us, isn't everything more exciting now that evil is everywhere and there folks is your answer?
*If it has Testicles or Tires it's gonna give you trouble.*

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 06:44:36 PM »

Why are so many people bothered by what other people think of them?'
Minor revision.  Don't mind me.
If I had meant "Why are so many people bothered by what other people think of them?", then that's what I would have posted. But I didn't. I posted "Why are so many Pagans bothered about what Christians think of them?".
Because it was pertinent to the OP.
And I don't appreciate being misquoted. You could have used the strikethrough function, and made the point. Whatever the Hell it was.
I have no objection to being quoted, or disagreed with. But to misquote someone like that is an insult, and actually libellous. Please don't do that again.

And it wasn't a  "minor revision". And I very much do mind.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 06:54:48 PM »

If I had meant "Why are so many people bothered by what other people think of them?", then that's what I would have posted. But I didn't. I posted "Why are so many Pagans bothered about what Christians think of them?".
Because it was pertinent to the OP.

I think both the questions are pretty much the same, really.  Why ARE people bothered by what other people think of them?  Why doesn't everyone just do what they wish and not care what Joe Bob thinks about it?  Joe Bob normally isn't important in their everyday life.  They might never even see Joe Bob again.

I think it becomes an issue when Joe Bob tries to force his views on the person in particular.  It really doesn't matter if it is a preference for color or for a particular brand of religion.  That's what annoys people. 

Specifically about pagans and christians, many feel that there are enough Christians and they have enough political power to cause issues with freedom of speech and religion.  In truth this shouldn't even be a concern, but it still worries people because it still causes discrimination in some areas.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Serpentium

• Walnut
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »

I'm not bothered about what people think of me, but I am bothered when I'm deliberately misquoted.
Suppose it was something serious in the misquote, then people would think that I had said it, that is false representation. It's simply not acceptable behaviour.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

I wasn't commenting on that.  I was commenting on what he brought up.  I think he made a good point.

It was clear what he had changed in what you wrote.  It was in bold and he said he revised it.  Unless someone was REALLY not paying attention I don't see how they would think that was a direct quote of what you said.  Even if they were TOTALLY oblivious and thought you did it would be easy enough to clarify.  People do this often at this site and I've never seen any issue with it.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Mijska5

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »

LOL Only you, Snake-Man
actually, it's something I would've procured as well.

theosophia

• Hazel
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 09:34:53 PM »

Well, I guess your father disagrees with Pope John Paul II, then  8)

It is interesting to note that the Pope declared that evolution was not in conflict with Catholic doctrine. 

In fact, he considered evolution to be a "truth."   :o   ;D

See the link:  Pope John Paul II on Evolution (which is actually an article by another Christian group criticizing the Pope for his stance.)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up