Welcome, Guest
November 15, 2018, 05:52:19 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Who is your favorite deity and why?  (Read 23590 times)

CelticFire

• Rowan
  • Sometimes you wake up in a dream. What Dream?
    • Jack the Ripper investigation
Re: Who is your favorite deity and why?
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2010, 06:35:42 AM »

I have to say, after more study of the greek deities and having a profound discussion over it with two of my friends, my favourite deities have changed slightly.

Whenever I mention Hecate to the aforementioned friends, they instantly think of a crone, the keeper of lost souls, as described in Greek mythology. I have to constantly explain to them that Hecate was also a maiden-like mother figure, the goddess of childbirth, in Thracian mythology - this is the aspect I connect to. Selene has always been one of my closely linked to goddesses, and Persephone just shows the two sides of my life - the scientist and the Wiccan. It's difficult to comprehend which is which sometimes for me; they slightly blur into one being - aka me.

The one god I'm drawn to is Dionysus... probably due to his link to the vineyard. I like wine! ;D

I still stand by Artemis, but my friend Alex (one of the friends who I often talk to about mythology) has swayed me slightly in the view of Athena.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »

Celtic Fire your to young to be drinking ( whatdo you like red or white ) just be me . oldghost
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Edward Collett

• Cypress
  • Pride <3
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:21 AM »

Gaia & Atlas

Short Description-Symbolism: Gaia, the earth and mother.  Atlas, the man bearing the earth on his shoulders.

CelticFire

• Rowan
  • Sometimes you wake up in a dream. What Dream?
    • Jack the Ripper investigation
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2010, 01:38:12 AM »

Celtic Fire your to young to be drinking ( whatdo you like red or white ) just be me . oldghost

hmm.... can I answer yes?

I like red, white and ros?. Especially the good stuff... oh, say, Chateauneuf du Pape. :P not that I get much of that... my parents are drinking it all :(

Technically, in England, I'm legally allowed to drink if it is within my own home, and under the supervision of responsible adults, from the age of 5. I'm not allowed to buy alcohol until I am 18, or 16 when bought with a meal in a restaurant. You see? I know it all :P

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2010, 07:16:42 AM »

Jesus Christ and John Barleycorn both kinda tie for top god for me.  I must like the letter J.  I also like deities with alcoholic blood.

Of course I'm rooted in Christianity, however I happen to have a mentalistic love affair going on with Loki. ;D Hahaha

(also called Loki Laufeyiarson), in Norse mythology, the evil trickster fire god, always mischievous, deceptive, and scheming, and one of the most well-known characters in Norse poetry and saga. As his name is derived from the Germanic root of flame, Loki is believed to have originally been a fire spirit. He was a trickster figure, and, as a shape-shifter, could become different animals at will. He was the father of two sons, Nari (or Narfi) and Vali, by his wife, the Asynjur goddess Sigyn (Siguna). But since he could also assume the shape of the opposite sex, he could give birth, and he had a number of other offspring in this way.

Luna12

« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2010, 11:36:12 AM »

I am sticking with the Goddess Diana!

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

LMAO funny. Now I bet I proved I am whacked, huh?

Luna12

« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2010, 11:54:24 AM »

You just proved how much I admire you for being out there! I am still sticking to Diana..lol

NeraErgos

• Willow
  • Petals of shattered mirror.
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

I would have to say that my favourite deity would have to be Eos of judgment, beacuse of he power he could wrap everthing around his finger, but such power he takes care of, as is why he may be favourite.

Or even Empress the goddess of dreams.

As her sligghtly twisted innocence, but really I do like these two the best ;D ;D.
Before Stands to Stone gates.
Withstanding twinned lords might.
Now I see that I am, but a Gate Keeper.

Miss_Lizbeth

• Pine
  • "Listen to many, Speak to a few" ~ Shakespeare
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »

I choose The Morrigan... I like how she can bring wisdom out of chaos since I have been known to do that ;) I also like how she is the Goddess of War simply because to me this makes her a strong and shows she can handle herself. I have always felt a connection to her.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »

I choose The Morrigan... I like how she can bring wisdom out of chaos since I have been known to do that ;) I also like how she is the Goddess of War simply because to me this makes her a strong and shows she can handle herself. I have always felt a connection to her.

Cheater.  That's not a favorite.  That's three.

And what of the "sovereignty" aspect?

And because I was looking it up for wholly unrelated reasons, here's some interesting info on them.

http://www.maryjones.us/jce/morrigan.html

Miss_Lizbeth

• Pine
  • "Listen to many, Speak to a few" ~ Shakespeare
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2010, 05:27:45 AM »

Lol if you choose to view her as three. I just see Morrigan :) As for "sovereignty" it depends on the situation. I choose to have it over my path in life, but as with all things it has its place. And thanks for that article, I have seen it before as I was researching different gods and goddesses a few months ago. And also, Thanks for making me think... I love to think and learn and especially to be around people that feel the same way. I say, "Always ask why!" If you dont you may never find out ;)

Hjolmaer

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:47 PM »

Lol if you choose to view her as three. I just see Morrigan :) As for "sovereignty" it depends on the situation. I choose to have it over my path in life, but as with all things it has its place. And thanks for that article, I have seen it before as I was researching different gods and goddesses a few months ago. And also, Thanks for making me think... I love to think and learn and especially to be around people that feel the same way. I say, "Always ask why!" If you dont you may never find out ;)

The only stupid question is the one never asked.

Maat

• Willow
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »

My favorite, at least the one I feel most drawn to, is the goddess Athena. I've always felt a connection to her ever since i first read a book on Greek mythology in middle school.

She has a lot of traits and talents that i admire and would love to do/be. She is wise, a weaver, a warrior and mets out suitable punishments like nobodies business.

Gotta respect a Goddess like that.

ejfinch

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2010, 09:22:14 PM »

pokes H........see, I told you........wisdom and war....... ;)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up