Welcome, Guest
November 15, 2018, 06:06:37 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?  (Read 6596 times)

An tAthair

Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?
« on: August 08, 2010, 05:58:59 AM »

One of the critical facets of a shamanic type pathwalk is the constant presence of death. We see it's skeletal hand upon so many things as lives are brough to an end and thier spirits approach the viel. Many times our deaths the first step upon our pathway and the first of many lessons of facing our fears. Saddly, also realizing that crossing the viel does not mean reincarnation is our next step in the process. Occasionally seeing the final demise of a spirits energy as it is destroyed though many would like to believe otherwise.

Yet it seem's many times those in the Pagan pathways do not trully face death. Oh yes, they collectively realize the physical body shall cease to function at some point but that is it. The though and action of approaching the viel between the living and the death seem's to be avoided in the belief they shall re-incarnate into another life cycle.

Yet if I listen to my guides that is not a given.

The way we approach death is as important to our development as the way we approach life. For to know death is to know life, of course to trully know life one must also know death. There-in lays the paradox for it seems that those that cling to life's glamories fail to recognize the depts of death. In some ways failing to realize the true beauty of life and living and the joy to be found in the pain of life.

Though I suppose to face the prospect of death one must also face the realility of thier own beliefs. When the gateway lies before our eyes and the lights flash to reveal the spirits of the departed before us do we realize what is there?

It is strange to me the way I see people rush so headstrongly away from death and its touch. Rush away to avoid but so many times rushing into its grasp that much faster as they try to avoid it. Then there are other's that live thier lives for death has already touched them and they know there is no need to flee for his hand was born into us at birth. To try and flee is futile for it has been walking with us and part of us from the first breath we took in.

Now some may say I am being morbid lately but it is part of the Shamanic Pathway. A part that places us often alone and upon the fringes of society. A place we survive in and live in, a place where death is a constant companion and we must sit and speak to him. A place where we are taken upon his cloak and carried to the very edge of the barrier to face our deepest fears. A place where we are born in the grasp of deaths hand.

So, Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
Re: Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »

This is one thing that astounds me about current culture.  Death is hidden away.  More often than not our learned elders are hidden away at the end of their lives.  Death in the family home is not the norm anymore.  Parents even buy replacement pets before their kids realize their beloved goldfish has passed.

On the flip side the same has happened to birth.  How many children have seen ANYTHING born with their own eyes?  How many have held a puppy while it is still damp and sticky?  How many have seen their baby siblings within an hour or so of birth?  How many babies are born in the family home?

We have totally lost the commonplace everyday aspect of the life cycle.  People even choose to not tell their children than the yummy stuff on their plate comes from an animal.  I'm pretty certain most children growing up today will never kill, skin, cook and eat anything except possibly doing something vaguely related in biology class in high school.

People try to sanitize birth and death.  They aren't sanitary things.  They are often ugly, bloody, messy and emotionally draining.  They are vital life processes. How are children supposed to grow up emotionally and spiritually rounded if they are cut off from the two most important times in life?  What is a story with no beginning or ending?

Death is an important part of walking a shamanic path.  There is the symbolic death you go through generally early-ish on your path and more importantly, but very often forgotten now a days is the fact that a near death experience used to be a very important factor in starting the path.  I had a vaguely near death experience and that is part of what started me on the shamanic path.  There is power in death.  To be able to work with the other aspects of life, birth, illness, emotional pain, joy, you must also understand death.

The symbolic death is a tearing down of who you are so you can truly see yourself in total detail and then give yourself up to be remade.  It is a powerful and incredibly life changing experience.  It's also not for the faint hearted.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Xicked

• Hawthorn
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »

I've tried to face some of my feelings about death.  I'm not afraid of dying, and I don't believe in reincarnation.  I used to think that if I knew that I was about to die, I could be OK with it and accept the inevitable.  So I went skydiving to test it out (among other reasons).  When my brain turned itself back on after the freefall, I realized that I would most certainly NOT be 'OK' with knowing that my parachute was failing and I would be slammed into the ground within minutes.  I'm still not afraid to die, but I definitely know that I'm not ready to die anytime soon.  I sometimes have a hard time accepting that in one moment I exist, and an instant later, I won't.  I would LIKE to believe that my spirit will do something other than dissolve into chaos. 
"Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable." - Albert Einstein

Arnemetia

• Council Elder
  • Redwood
  • Crone
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 11:58:28 AM »

I see death as a part of life.  I have felt the life slipping from me, as I gave life to another.  I held the hand of my Father, Mother and Brother as the light left their eyes.  They weren't afraid, neither was I.  My belief is, yes the body will no longer function but the soul, spirit, energy will continue on.  I also believe when we make a drastic change in ourself, that part of us dies, whether it be a behavior change or a change of beliefs.  We are then "reborn" into that change we have made.
We touch each others lives, for the time we are meant to.

Sometimes the best advice is silence.

Never let your Memories be greater than your Dreams.  Unknown

Doktor Howl

• Hazel
  • The Juden of Paganism.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

One of the critical facets of a shamanic type pathwalk is the constant presence of death. We see it's skeletal hand upon so many things as lives are brough to an end and thier spirits approach the viel. Many times our deaths the first step upon our pathway and the first of many lessons of facing our fears. Saddly, also realizing that crossing the viel does not mean reincarnation is our next step in the process. Occasionally seeing the final demise of a spirits energy as it is destroyed though many would like to believe otherwise.

Yet it seem's many times those in the Pagan pathways do not trully face death. Oh yes, they collectively realize the physical body shall cease to function at some point but that is it. The though and action of approaching the viel between the living and the death seem's to be avoided in the belief they shall re-incarnate into another life cycle.

Yet if I listen to my guides that is not a given.

The way we approach death is as important to our development as the way we approach life. For to know death is to know life, of course to trully know life one must also know death. There-in lays the paradox for it seems that those that cling to life's glamories fail to recognize the depts of death. In some ways failing to realize the true beauty of life and living and the joy to be found in the pain of life.

Though I suppose to face the prospect of death one must also face the realility of thier own beliefs. When the gateway lies before our eyes and the lights flash to reveal the spirits of the departed before us do we realize what is there?

It is strange to me the way I see people rush so headstrongly away from death and its touch. Rush away to avoid but so many times rushing into its grasp that much faster as they try to avoid it. Then there are other's that live thier lives for death has already touched them and they know there is no need to flee for his hand was born into us at birth. To try and flee is futile for it has been walking with us and part of us from the first breath we took in.

Now some may say I am being morbid lately but it is part of the Shamanic Pathway. A part that places us often alone and upon the fringes of society. A place we survive in and live in, a place where death is a constant companion and we must sit and speak to him. A place where we are taken upon his cloak and carried to the very edge of the barrier to face our deepest fears. A place where we are born in the grasp of deaths hand.

So, Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?

"pathwalk"?

Also, full marks for emo.
WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS CREW

An tAthair

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »

Emo? I am unfamiliar with this particular magickal term.

But thank you for the compliment.

Doktor Howl

• Hazel
  • The Juden of Paganism.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »

Emo? I am unfamiliar with this particular magickal term.

But thank you for the compliment.

Emo = obsessed with angst and darkness.  Google "My Chemical Romance".

Everyone dies1.  It's a fact.  There's no point obsessing about it, or even thinking about it, beyond taking responsible steps to look after those you leave behind (writing a will, etc).

Point is, try focusing on what you do and who you are while you're here.  Death will still be around when you're done.  No hurry.

1 Except, apparently, for Keith Richards.

An tAthair

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

Then I shall endeavour to discover what exactly Keith Richards has snorted.

And then I too shall be immortal.

P.S. Do you think I could ascertain this compound by taking some kind of core sample of the strata that no doubt coats his nasal cavity?

Doktor Howl

• Hazel
  • The Juden of Paganism.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »

Then I shall endeavour to discover what exactly Keith Richards has snorted.

And then I too shall be immortal.

P.S. Do you think I could ascertain this compound by taking some kind of core sample of the strata that no doubt coats his nasal cavity?

All I know is that when he finally kicks the bucket, I'm grinding him up and smoking him.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »

Emo = obsessed with angst and darkness.  Google "My Chemical Romance".

Everyone dies1.  It's a fact.  There's no point obsessing about it, or even thinking about it, beyond taking responsible steps to look after those you leave behind (writing a will, etc).

Point is, try focusing on what you do and who you are while you're here.  Death will still be around when you're done.  No hurry.

Great advice.  I think far too many people, especially as they get older, tend to spend too much time thinking about, beyond the "responsible steps to look after those you leave behind".  It might be that for much of your life, "death" is a fairly abstract term, and only when you reach the upper end do you realistically see it as a finite value.  

When you're sixty years old, depending on your health, and barring accidents, it's a reasonable guess that you have between 0-40 years left to live; I don't think we really see it that way when we're younger... I know I never did.  As far as I'm concerned, death is just a natural part of life, so why get hung up about it.  

I think maybe Keith Richards is an alien...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Hjolmaer

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 05:29:56 PM »

I think maybe Keith Richards is an alien...

No, Keith Richards is actually undead.  A kind of chemical-induced lichdom.  See, he actually died years ago, but was so stoned that he didn't realize it.

All I know is that when he finally kicks the bucket, I'm grinding him up and smoking him.

You bring the pipe, I'll bring the mortar and pestle.

To be meaningfully participatory in the thread, I offer up this:

Do I face death?  Of course.  It's an aspect of life.

But why should I care?

Seriously.  The day I die, will be the day I die.  Will I go to Summerland and reflect on my previous life before choosing a new incarnation?  Will I go to Heaven and enjoy the carnal and lusty pleasures of a thousand and one virgins?  Will I go to hell and be one of the thousand and one virgins (biblical sense)?  Will I just sit in the ground and rot?

Not my problem.  Cause when I die, everything suddenly stops being my problem.  Beyond that, I'll worry about it when I get there.

In the meantime, I've got living to do.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:32:55 PM by Hjolmaer »

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »

I believe that when my time has come, I will exist in a sort of limbo...living a life that was slightly different from what my life really was, a parallel path if you will. All the people that mattered to me would still be in this life...though they may exist in different relationships.

It will be during this time that I will come to terms with my life...and my death. I will make amends with the choices I made and the people I loved. This will all happen while I exist in this limbo, not truly understanding until the very end that I have indeed died and it is time to move on.

Oh wait.

That was the ending of Lost.

That's not what I believe. Duh.

My "path" (kinda starting to hate that term) doesn't spend a lot of time dwelling in death.

That's about all the 'facing of death' I need to do. Honestly, I'm not really thrilled about it, but I'm not going to dwell on something that I have no control over. It's a waste of energy...and would be a hypocritical waste of time.

So I know it will happen. I accept it and I am at peace with the fact that it will happen whether I am ready for it or not, like it or not. In the meantime, I have more important things to do then ponder the aspects of death.

Like watch the whole last season of 24. I'm still catching up to stuff on my Tivo (just finished watching Lost) because I've spent the last 3 months working 80hrs a week.
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 02:27:31 AM »

You're going to be disappointed.  A few episodes aside, 24 jumped the shark in Season Three and never got back on track.
Like you, but with poor impulse control

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 11:53:19 AM »

You're going to be disappointed.  A few episodes aside, 24 jumped the shark in Season Three and never got back on track.

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess my Saturday will be better spent shopping. :)
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

SuperFrank

• Elm
  • Bamboo
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »

Naw, I don't fear nor smurf wit death. I have had some weird dreams, though.

Edited for language.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:22:07 AM by Arnemetia »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up