Welcome, Guest
November 15, 2018, 04:51:48 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?  (Read 6594 times)

Midwitch

• Cypress
Re: Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 02:19:57 AM »

I face death on an almost daily basis, from the POV that being a midwife, life and death are very closely entwined. I dont fear death but I do hate the suffering and pain that those left behind feel. In the history of mankind midwives have traditionally dealt with the new and the dying, and even sitting vigil with the dead. So yes, I guess I am very comfortable around death.

I dont fear my own death as I have seen it and accepted it many years ago.

I find that those passing over dont seem to fear it either, the peace in their eyes is evidence of this - but I can only speak for those I have had the privilige of being with at this time. I dont dread that job, but I dont enjoy the pain in the hearts and faces of those left behind.

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 05:28:47 AM »

I face death on an almost daily basis, from the POV that being a midwife, life and death are very closely entwined.

Sorry, but based on that, watching the evening news could be construed as "facing death".

I would only consider a situation in which you yourself could actually die, quite easily (ie not based on ridiculously implausible scenarios which could theoretically happen to a very unlucky person), to be "facing death".
Like you, but with poor impulse control

An tAthair

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 05:33:56 AM »

But she is facing the possibility of  other people's death.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »

But she is facing the possibility of  other people's death.

Which is actually more going face to face with death than dying yourself unless you have a mirror...  ;)
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Midwitch

• Cypress
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 02:47:41 AM »

Sorry, but based on that, watching the evening news could be construed as "facing death".

I would only consider a situation in which you yourself could actually die, quite easily (ie not based on ridiculously implausible scenarios which could theoretically happen to a very unlucky person), to be "facing death".

Well if you havent helped birth babies you probably dont get it. But birth is very much life and death. I've assisted with stillbirths, with babies who have died during labour, and with babies who have died after birth. I've personally resuscitated more babies than most people have had hot dinners (well almost).

I've cared for two mothers who died during or soon after birth, and I've assisted with the resus of several who tried to die.

Yesterday I midwifed for a beautiful baby who came out peacefully, breathed, looked around, sighed and stopped breathing. I told the mother to gently stroke him and talk to him, and I positioned his head to open his airway. With some stimulation he started to breathe again and opened his eyes and looked around, gave some gentle cries, and again stopped breathing. While calling for emergency help, I took the baby and started resus. His heart had all but stopped. He responded to my efforts, but wouldnt maintain heartrate or breathing without direct stimulation. He underwent major cardiac surgery this morning and the prognosis is good.

Several months ago a sweet wee soul died on her journey to the world, much to everyone's shock (there was NO warning signs). For 20 minutes the paed and I worked on that baby till the crash team got to us. Then I sat with the grieving mother as she howled her anguish, and periodically asked me to check the baby's heartbeat just in case. She simply couldnt accept that her perfect baby was gone. Then I bathed her daughter, did the medical things that needed doing, then dressed her in a beautiful hand smocked linen gown and took photos of her. I placed a rose in her hand, kissed her and handed her back to her mother.

I cannot even count how many grieving families I have cared for.
So let me repeat, I face death on a daily basis.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:52:13 AM by Midwitch »

megadeck

• Fir
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 03:34:50 AM »

I believe that Death is symbolized by Pluto in an astrological manner, it's just there ever so slow but always present,
and us unaware of the time it has completed its round around the sun where life comes from :)
I don't know when death will come.
Our Level of Freedom is in Direct Proportion with Our Spiritual Maturity'

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »

I cannot even count how many grieving families I have cared for.
So let me repeat, I face death on a daily basis.

I was considering becoming a doula.  This is what stopped me.  I don't know if I am strong enough to help people through this type of grief.  The grief of the beloved elders passing, yes, but the new ones?  Just the thought of it makes me tear up.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

blue

• Birch
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »

Quote:

So, Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?

Blue:

I tend to be expedient.

I have absolutely no idea what may or may not happen when i die. To me: Such things are simply unknowable so i don't concern myself with them.

There is an awareness that there are a finite number of days in a life. Death can come at any time and i wouldn't have it any other way.

See ... it's death that gives life meaning.

It's a gentle reminder to live every day to the fullest. (as if it were my last )

Quote:

Now some may say I am being morbid lately but it is part of the Shamanic Pathway.

Blue:

< playfully >  Hell yes you're being morbid !

Go out and engage life. Love without limit. Relish the beauty and the pain and everything life has to offer.

And when your time comes ....

Jump boldly into the abyss without a single regret.  :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 06:55:18 PM by blue »

Midwitch

• Cypress
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:06 AM »

I was considering becoming a doula.  This is what stopped me.  I don't know if I am strong enough to help people through this type of grief.  The grief of the beloved elders passing, yes, but the new ones?  Just the thought of it makes me tear up.

It's a fantastic job. Sadly, life and death are closely intertwined in this job, but death occurs far less often than new life. The joy outweighs the sadness.

Because I lost a baby to stillbirth and had wonderful compassionate care from two sweet midwives, I rather enjoy caring for other women with losses. I like to pass on some of the compassion and kindness I was gifted. And to treat their precious babies with the gentleness and respect they deserve. I believe in the dignity of death, therefore I handle these wee ones very carefully. Sometimes things have to be done that are unpleasant, but I reassure the parents I will be kind and respectful. I talk to the little one while I do the procedures and I handle them carefully, then dress and display them tastefully.

It may sound weird that I enjoy it, but I do. But then death and assisting the dying is very much part of my calling.

peace

• Holly
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »

Now some may say I am being morbid lately but it is part of the Shamanic Pathway. A part that places us often alone and upon the fringes of society. A place we survive in and live in, a place where death is a constant companion and we must sit and speak to him. A place where we are taken upon his cloak and carried to the very edge of the barrier to face our deepest fears. A place where we are born in the grasp of deaths hand.

So, Do you trully face death on your pathwalk?

Ok I don't usely reply to these threads but I have a question. So here it is...

How do you know death is a him?

And the answer to that question at the end of your thread is, yes. I raise my fist to death!!!! HHHHISSSS at death!!!
It's all fun and games, until someone puts an eye out. - ancient global proverb from mothers.

aedh

• Hawthorn
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 01:00:34 AM »

oh shtop it.

peace

• Holly
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »

What about Marena, Velu mate, Tapairu, Giltine, and my personal all time favorite - Umm s-Subyan.
And then there was.........these ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Death_goddesses

but who's counting?? haha.

but then again.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjZtsFU5Z4&feature=related
It's all fun and games, until someone puts an eye out. - ancient global proverb from mothers.

Black Hat Guy

• Ash
  • Agent of Chaos
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 04:01:18 PM »

Well if you havent helped birth babies you probably dont get it. But birth is very much life and death. I've assisted with stillbirths, with babies who have died during labour, and with babies who have died after birth. I've personally resuscitated more babies than most people have had hot dinners (well almost).

I've cared for two mothers who died during or soon after birth, and I've assisted with the resus of several who tried to die.

Again, that has nothing to do with you personally facing the possibility of your own death.  No doubt somewhat traumatic and upsetting, but then, so are many things.
Like you, but with poor impulse control

Tiki

• Ash
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »

I have lost many loved ones to death, but I agree; that is very different from experiencing your own mortality. I've touched death, I've lost brothers and friends, but when I nearly bled to death a few years ago, that was a completely different experience. Nearly being abruptly killed has happened a few times, as well, but even those near-misses are not quite the same.

aedh

• Hawthorn
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 04:39:37 PM »

I've had a few moments of "oh shit" in my life. Moments where there was a good chance I should have died. Yay me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up