Welcome, Guest
September 21, 2018, 02:35:56 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Spirit of Tree's  (Read 10718 times)

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
Re: Spirit of Tree's
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 02:40:27 PM »

Very very true !  :)

I dunno ... because of the experience i'm inclined to keep an open mind to the experiences of others.

I try to take it all in and neither believe nor disbelieve.

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 07:44:36 PM »

Now if you want to have a real scary thought....because we are all connected and exist from one energy, Dok is actually my evil twin!

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 08:49:23 AM »

Now if you want to have a real scary thought....because we are all connected and exist from one energy, Dok is actually my evil twin!
I thought you were Dok's evil twin!
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »

Actually... we're triplets...
~Anonymous

dark magus

• Apple
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 12:55:59 PM »

Oh that's right, been gone so long I forgot.
Yep Dok's the evil one, Firesong the wise one, and I got all the hair

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 01:28:22 PM »

Actually... we're triplets...

Right. That's it, I've had enough. I can feel my nap coming on.
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »

ROFLMAO!!!!
~Anonymous

Hjolmaer

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 04:20:07 PM »

If Dok's hair has been described as "godless", then does that mean you resemble Cousin It?

Aporia

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:49 AM »

An tAthair, was anything in your OP legit or was it just part of the joke?

I've read this thread, and enjoyed quite a bit of it.  But I don't understand your question to An tAthair, and feel a little dense for not getting it.  Is it related in any way to all the people joking about MRIs and body hair?  Can you explain?

An tAthair

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 11:14:18 AM »

What joke?

At the time I wrote it, I believed it all.

But from another, clearer point of view, it does seem very childish. It's very easy to expand definitions until everything is connected to everything else. It all sounds very grand and mystical, but it is ultimately meaningless.

This is something I read while changing my mind:
The Virtue of Narrowness
You might think it poetic, to give one word many meanings, and thereby spread shades of connotation all around. But even poets, if they are good poets, must learn to see the world precisely.

Aporia

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »

Yudkowsky's an excellent writer!  [off-topic] I'm a fan of the Less Wrong wiki, and plan to use his piece on Bayes' theorem for my first year stats class. [/off-topic]

Thanks for responding, An tAthair.  It's important to be able to change your mind when presented with new evidence.

The way most of us are raised in this culture (so cut off, over-individuated, trained to segment events/ideas/etc into pre-set categories), when people first start thinking about The Web (for lack of a better term) and how everything is more or differently connected than we're originally taught, it can feel overwhelming and, in my past experience, quite addictive.  But it can stop us from seeing particulars, or being able to focus on one thing at a time.  At times, I've found it mentally paralyzing.  My analysis of anything would just get... lazy.

It's a useful tool to have, though.  One example: when thinking about environmentalism, the creation, use and disposal of things, it helps at times to think as many connections as you can, just to properly conceptualize the scale of the problem, and the idea of interconnectivity can help guide that.  But if you can't turn it off, it becomes impossible to think how things are *un-like* other things.  How the disposal of electronics has different effects than the disposal of diapers, to continue the example.  Solutions become impossible to think clearly.

I still don't understand the "joke" question.  But again, thank you for responding.  This newbie feels a little less in-the-dark.  :)

Doktor Howl

• Hazel
  • The Juden of Paganism.
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »

Of course you'll say poo poo because it's outside of your range of experience.

I think you and I are done speaking to each other, ever.

Good day.
WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS CREW

blue

• Birch
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »

:-\  Yeah, i could have phrased it differently Doc. It comes across as elitist.

Look ... strip it away and all i'm sayin' is that there's still a lot we don't know yet.

If you haven't been there don't assume to know. Experience it first ... then cast judgement.

kitten

• Alder
    • Home witch hub
Re: Spirit of Trees
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »

Hello,
Well I've really enjoyed reading your discussions. I just wanted to add that there's something in trees that speak to us if we take the time to listen. They have a power that's very strong, that's there, waiting to be tapped into, all we need to do is to stop and pay attention. I go walking in the nearby woods with my best friend who is a Hedge Witch, and we often just sit and look at the trees as they go through the seasons. Nature is more than willing to heal, to help, to comfort us, but we must be open to her.

ejfinch

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »

I, personally find a lot of peace among trees. I have a favorite big, old Oak that sits in a greenspace about 20 minutes from my home. If I close my eyes and just place my hand on it, I can literally feel the energy from this tree-it's truly amazing. I have a brother-in-law who is not even remotely into anything occult or metaphysical or magical, yet even he knows that, when he's stressed, to sit and lean up against a big tree and let his tension melt away. He just knew, instinctively.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up