Welcome, Guest
July 22, 2019, 10:39:34 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Solstice 2010  (Read 9149 times)

ejfinch

Winter Solstice 2010
« on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »

I noticed that there will be a total lunar eclipse this year on the Winter Solstice. Does anyone know if there is any particular significance to this?

Hjolmaer

Re: Winter Solstice 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »

The fact that the lunar eclipse will fall on the winter solstice?

Beyond that, none I'm aware of.  Perhaps someone with an almanac (farmer's or otherwise) could offer more insight into the possibilities.

What correspondence would a lunar eclipse hold, in your estimation?  Disregarding the correlation between it and the solstice?  What significance would it represent to you?

ejfinch

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:50:49 AM »

I'm, honestly, not sure. It just "feels" like it would have some importance. Also, it seems like an interesting "coincidence"...............I'm not big on coincidences, therefore, I feel like there must be something else to it?? I was thinking more in terms of a "mystical" meaning. The little information I could gather from online Almanac information does not lend itself to this type of explanation. I was just wondering if anyone else had read anything on such an occurrence. When I first noticed it, I got that "chills" feeling. For me, when I get that feeling, there is usually a reason. Being as new as I am, I do not have any idea how to interpret that feeling.

An tAthair

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »

This happens roughly every 120 years or so.

Tiki

• Ash
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:32:52 PM »

I noticed that there will be a total lunar eclipse this year on the Winter Solstice. Does anyone know if there is any particular significance to this?

It's pretty cool?

ejfinch

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 01:09:59 PM »

Every 120 years........so, once in a lifetime. That peaks my curiosity even further.......and my "funny" feeling. Thanks for the info!

An tAthair

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »

Other things that happen around once a century:

-A supernova.

-Halley's Comet

-An asteroid with a diameter of at least 50m hits the Earth

-Nickel-63 has a half life of a century

-Someone interprets rarity as significance

No wait that last one happens more often.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »

Other things that happen around once a century:

-A supernova.

-Halley's Comet

-An asteroid with a diameter of at least 50m hits the Earth

-Nickel-63 has a half life of a century

-Someone interprets rarity as significance

No wait that last one happens more often.

Significance in regards to rarity is a matter of both personal interpretation, as well as personal choice.

She chooses to grant it significance based on it's rarity.

So what?

ejfinch

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:58:17 PM »

An tAthair:
Actually, as I previously explained, the reason I anticipated a significance to the situation was because of my personal "feeling" when I discovered the coming occurrence. At which point, you, in your apparently infinite wisdom, had not even explained the rarity of the occurrence.

If someone with an actual, non-snarky, theory is out there, I would love to hear it.

Thanks for having my back Hjolmaer.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:47:30 PM »

An tAthair:
Actually, as I previously explained, the reason I anticipated a significance to the situation was because of my personal "feeling" when I discovered the coming occurrence. At which point, you, in your apparently infinite wisdom, had not even explained the rarity of the occurrence.

If someone with an actual, non-snarky, theory is out there, I would love to hear it.

Thanks for having my back Hjolmaer.

*nods*

I've seen a time or two on the boards where other members seem to (seem) degrade, speak against, deride, belittle or attempt to force their opinions on, other members whose opinions/thoughts/feelings/experiences/belief do not match their own.

This always strikes me as rather unnecessary.  UPG (unverifiable personal gnosis) is nothing more than one's own experiences.  If someone wishes to challenge your stance (say, on the use of tools in ritual) for the purpose of making you consider your decisions very carefully, then they have done you a great service.

If they do so out of maliciousness, then they do themselves a disservice.

I have experienced the Lord and Lady.  But that is my own experience.  It has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else here.

But even a "snarky" response, such as the one you received from An tAthair (whether your perception, his intent, or otherwise) can be useful in your own path.  Though it may seem snarky, sarcastic, or even an attack, use it.

Use it as a backdrop against which to examine you're own beliefs, path, experiences.  You're own gnosis.

Take the "Mabon" thread for example.  Dok asked why it was named after a Welsh deity.

I could have taken this as a snarky response to a question centering on a pagan holiday, but I didn't.  I sat back (literally), and thought about it.  Why do I call it Mabon?

Perhaps Dok was being snarky.  Perhaps he was trying to force those of us who use the word to consider why we use it.  Perhaps he was just curious.  The world may never know.

The italicized text above is used simply because I feel no need to elaborate on it further in a public format.  It is my gnosis.  Not yours. 

nykkifletcher

• Cypress
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »

I'm, honestly, not sure. It just "feels" like it would have some importance. Also, it seems like an interesting "coincidence"...............I'm not big on coincidences, therefore, I feel like there must be something else to it?? I was thinking more in terms of a "mystical" meaning. The little information I could gather from online Almanac information does not lend itself to this type of explanation. I was just wondering if anyone else had read anything on such an occurrence. When I first noticed it, I got that "chills" feeling. For me, when I get that feeling, there is usually a reason. Being as new as I am, I do not have any idea how to interpret that feeling.

I would simply see it as a chance for you to do something special. Have you dedicated yourself yet? (If that's something you want to do, that is.) Maybe this would be a good time to.  :)

Are you Wiccan? I can't remember, forgive me. There is a Wiccan yearly almanac at the bookstore. I can't remember the author, but if it's something you are interested in, I can find out for you this weekend. It may have something about it you can read up on.

ejfinch

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »

Thank you Hjolmaer. I truly appreciate your polite and insightful advice. You are a gentlman and truly DO reflect the Lord and the Lady. I will heed your words in the future. I am a bit touchy about being, or perceiving to have been, belittled when I ask an honest question as someone new to the path. Although I am new to the path, I am a 45 year old mother of two who is far from being an idiot. As such, it disturbs me to come to a board that is supposed to be a place to ask and answer questions only to be answered in such a way. It is the second time it has happened. I certainly hope that those who are going to Oklahoma for Beltane are like you. Otherwise, I will probably cut my trip short. Smart A@@ debates are not what I am looking for. I used to be a master, but that is one of the many things I have been working very hard at moving past as part of my personal path. I hope that I attain your level of wisdom and self control. Blessings to you!
Elizabeth

ejfinch

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »

Hi Nykkifletcher! Yes, I dedicated myself back in June. That would have been an excellent idea, though! With all the books I have already purchased and/or read, I'm surprised I haven't come across something myself. It was an interesting timing of events that, I thought, could have significance. Maybe not. Maybe just for me, who knows? I appreciate your response, very kind. Thank you!

nykkifletcher

• Cypress
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »

Hi Nykkifletcher! Yes, I dedicated myself back in June. That would have been an excellent idea, though! With all the books I have already purchased and/or read, I'm surprised I haven't come across something myself. It was an interesting timing of events that, I thought, could have significance. Maybe not. Maybe just for me, who knows? I appreciate your response, very kind. Thank you!

Your welcome! I'm going to try to remember to check the Almanac I found this weekend for a reference just out of curiosity.

Edward Collett

• Cypress
  • Pride <3
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 08:56:56 PM »

That 120 Years thing isn't exactly true, the previous total lunar eclipse happened in 2008.
There was already a partial Lunar Eclipse this year in June.  This is the second lunar eclipse, only a full one on December 21st.

I believe it holds a strong significance.  Full Moon on the Winter Solstice in addition to a Lunar Eclipse?  It'll be quite a spectacle for those celebrating the Sabbat/Esbat.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up