Welcome, Guest
September 22, 2019, 05:26:54 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Solstice 2010  (Read 9459 times)

Hjolmaer

Re: Winter Solstice 2010
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 04:22:19 AM »

That 120 Years thing isn't exactly true, the previous total lunar eclipse happened in 2008.
There was already a partial Lunar Eclipse this year in June.  This is the second lunar eclipse, only a full one on December 21st.

I believe it holds a strong significance.  Full Moon on the Winter Solstice in addition to a Lunar Eclipse?  It'll be quite a spectacle for those celebrating the Sabbat/Esbat.

I've been thinking about it, and I believe I agree with you here.  It should be interesting.

Also, I think An tAthair mentioned that a full lunar eclipse happening specifically on the winter solstice is a once-every-120 year- event.

The fact that none of us will live to see that specific occurrence again is enough for me.

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 05:03:42 AM »

Four blue moons, dadda, dadda, daad, eclipse to be within winter solstice, make of it whatever you wish it to be. It's likened to a shooting star. Alignments happen be them embraced, understood, welcomed, or shunned.

peace

• Holly
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 05:36:56 AM »

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed. ? Albert Einstein

The fact that none of us will live to see that specific occurrence again is enough for me.

The rebirth of the sun, a full moon, a total lunar eclipse.

The real question is, How to celebrate? When will the eclipse be visible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2010_lunar_eclipse

It's all fun and games, until someone puts an eye out. - ancient global proverb from mothers.

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

The real question is, How to celebrate? When will the eclipse be visible?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2010_lunar_eclipse

Where would also be a good question.  Some places on Earth miss it completely.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEplot/LEplot2001/LE2010Dec21T.pdf
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

ejfinch

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »

Beautiful quote Peace! I'm not sure exactly what time it will be visible, only that it is supposed to be visible from North America.

I'm glad I am not the only one who senses something "special" about this.
Blessings

peace

• Holly
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 11:52:43 AM »

Agreed.
I saw that link earlier this morning. I was thinking that if the times change during every Solstice and not everyone would be able to witness the eclipse, then maybe they didn't coincide at all, with the exception of the date for my area? So I did a little checking into it. In PST the Winter Solstice will be at it's peek on 12/21 @ 3:38 pm and the peek of the full lunar eclipse will be 12:13 AM. I guess I'm just gonna have to stretch my celebration into a week long one because (IMHO) there is a heck of alot to celebrate.

Where I found my info:
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/seasons.html?year=2000&n=224
&
http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/moonphases.html?year=&n=224

I had another thought. Does the Moon have what is considered "The Little Death" during a Full lunar eclipse. It would make the day very meaningful to me, nothing like rites of fertility and the rebirth of the sun. Just a thought. I read around and some feel that magic or other mysteries shouldn't be done during a full lunar eclipse. What is your thoughts on this?
It's all fun and games, until someone puts an eye out. - ancient global proverb from mothers.

ejfinch

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »

Yes, I also read that some folks feel like a lunar eclipse is a time for taking the night off from magic. It seems like there wil be plenty of magic in the air already, eh?

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »

Four blue moons, dadda, dadda, daad, eclipse to be within winter solstice, make of it whatever you wish it to be. It's likened to a shooting star. Alignments happen be them embraced, understood, welcomed, or shunned.

^^ this ^^

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 01:35:30 PM »

^^ this ^^

Quoting yourself in this manner makes you look silly to almost everyone so why do you do it?

"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

An tAthair

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »

Quoting yourself in this manner makes you look silly to almost everyone so why do you do it?

It's an attention thing.

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »

It is of little concern if I appear silly. Most of the time, I seem to only be making a point to myself, as few, if any, though may understand more than they let on, don't care to respond. There is a comfort in mysteries remaining mysterious, that was my point in repeating myself in such a manner. Our concern for comfort may not always be what hinders us, but rather what protects us from over-exposure to things we may not be prepared for.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »

It is of little concern if I appear silly. Most of the time, I seem to only be making a point to myself, as few, if any, though may understand more than they let on, don't care to respond. There is a comfort in mysteries remaining mysterious, that was my point in repeating myself in such a manner. Our concern for comfort may not always be what hinders us, but rather what protects us from over-exposure to things we may not be prepared for.

And how would you tie this in with the correlation of the lunar eclipse and the winter solstice with regards to the Mysteries?

blue moon

• Birch
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »

I'm, honestly, not sure. It just "feels" like it would have some importance. Also, it seems like an interesting "coincidence"...............I'm not big on coincidences, therefore, I feel like there must be something else to it?? I was thinking more in terms of a "mystical" meaning. The little information I could gather from online Almanac information does not lend itself to this type of explanation. I was just wondering if anyone else had read anything on such an occurrence. When I first noticed it, I got that "chills" feeling. For me, when I get that feeling, there is usually a reason. Being as new as I am, I do not have any idea how to interpret that feeling.

This is what I was primarily referencing to.

Hjolmaer

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 04:41:32 PM »

Ah.  The posts you put up in which you were self-quoting threw me off. 

That makes sense, though.  In your own way, you may have a point.  Certainly something to consider.

I'll have to give this the deeper thought it deserves and get back to you on it.

ejfinch

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 05:22:09 AM »

For anyone who actually finds this special or interesting, I offer the following, quoted from the NASA website:

Author: Dr. Tony Phillips | Credit: Science@NASA

More Information
Coincidences (UPDATED): This lunar eclipse falls on the date of the northern winter solstice. How rare is that? Total lunar eclipses in northern winter are fairly common. There have been three of them in the past ten years alone. A lunar eclipse smack-dab on the date of the solstice, however, is unusual. Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is 1638 DEC 21," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on 2094 DEC 21."

Solar and Lunar Eclipses -- NASA home page

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up