Welcome, Guest
September 18, 2019, 11:22:44 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Winter Solstice 2010  (Read 9427 times)

MissTree

• Hawthorn
Re: Winter Solstice 2010
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 11:02:02 AM »

Very cool!

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 11:17:14 AM »

I'm all ready to watch the eclipse! I am going to tie in keeping vigil over a fire* (candle, no fireplace) with staying up until dawn with watching the eclipse. My boyfriend and my roommate are going to get up, we are all going to bundle up, and then watch the eclipse from my balcony with some hot cocoa and cookies.

Not exactly a traditional Solstice, but I'm very excited!

*Thanks to kats article for reminding me of this!
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall

fevernever

• Willow
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

That 120 Years thing isn't exactly true, the previous total lunar eclipse happened in 2008.
There was already a partial Lunar Eclipse this year in June.  This is the second lunar eclipse, only a full one on December 21st.

I believe it holds a strong significance.  Full Moon on the Winter Solstice in addition to a Lunar Eclipse?  It'll be quite a spectacle for those celebrating the Sabbat/Esbat.

Exactly!, according to what I was reading, it happens every 2 or 3 years. This is weird though, because I had a dream of an eclipse, without even knowing it would happen.
I am so excited!
The glitterin' lights of hell
I'm missin' sin!

ejfinch

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 03:25:24 PM »

What you are failing to notice is the rarity of it occurring ON the Winter Solstice......please read more carefully.

blessed of coyote

• Cypress
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »

Considering there is a 15 hour lag between the Eclipse and the Solstice...they aren't happening at the same time.

ejfinch

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »

Considering there is a 15 hour lag between the Eclipse and the Solstice...they aren't happening at the same time.

Oh, I see, now your intelligence outpaces those at NASA, eh? How does your head fit through the door?? Must be quite a feat!

Hjolmaer

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 07:42:40 AM »

Pointless nit-picking is all that is.

They both occur on the same night.  That's plenty good enough for most.  Or at least, every single pagan that I, personally, know.

The solstice is celebrated either on the night of, or throughout the day of, the astronomical occurance.  The actual astronomical occurance may be acknowledged, but the religious celebration thereof is usually done when it's most convenient for all involved in a particular group.  So I fail to see how the time-gap between the two should really matter to anyone.  Or, anyone who chooses to append significance to the rarity of the correlation between the two.

I'll get to see it while at the drumming circle tomorrow night.  Should make for a very interesting experience.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:07:21 AM by Hjolmaer »

Bella72

• Alder
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 12:07:26 PM »

I'm glad you brought this subject up EJ as I was also thinking how special tonight/early morning will be and am planning on going out to the park near my house to soak up the energies and the beauty of it as this is rare that a lunar eclipse occurs on the winter soltice and apparently won't occur till 2093 or 94 . Blessed be to all and enjoy this blessing that is being given to us.

Bella
Live, Love , Laugh and frolic

fevernever

• Willow
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

What you are failing to notice is the rarity of it occurring ON the Winter Solstice......please read more carefully.
Yeah, I had noticed that. I didn't read the last 2 pages and since I cannot edit yet...
The glitterin' lights of hell
I'm missin' sin!

ejfinch

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 05:20:08 PM »

Well, I don't plan on missing it. I'm keeping the fire in the fireplace going and hoping the clouds don't obscure the view! Cheers to those of us who will be appreciating this rare event!

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »

We have clouds.  :(
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

golden_butterfly_wings

• Elm
    • My Photography Portfolio
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »

I also have clouds, however their is still a few hours and I have mountains I can go up on- wish me luck! I'm a photographer also so I hope I can get a shot!

Now, back to the subject at hand... I see how it is possible that there may be something magickal about a full moon and a lunar eclipse happening at the same time. I haven't studied astronomy/astrology as extensively as I would like, so this question is directed towards someone who may have. Full moon celebrations are an important part of Wicca and it even has scientifically observable effects. Does the lunar eclipse also? If so, is there some way the two might be effected by one another? Together, will they enhance, or inhibit, one another's energies, or change them in some way?
~ Michelle ~~

ejfinch

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »

The only thing I have read, in regard to this, is that some Witches prefer to give magic a "night off" during an eclipse........I have no idea where I read that, either. Take it for what you will.

Good luck with the pics!! (I have clouds here, too..... :( )

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 10:58:09 PM »

about 1/4 hidden here now.  A few clouds but I have an unobstructed view.  I've got my binoculars out and having a good view/time. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:59:57 PM by Earthbound Spirit »
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

edens garden

• Walnut
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 10:59:45 PM »

Half covered here. We've got some cloud cover, but nothing heavy. I'm hoping it just turns the clouds copper red when it's covered to make up for the fact!
In the magic of the northern woods I learn
Lift your song up to the winds and watch it turn
I own nothing I own not even my soul
In the silence of the heart all things unfold
-Trevor Hall
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up