Welcome, Guest
December 09, 2018, 11:03:08 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 70391 times)

Draconis Rex

• Your friendly, fire breathing
  • Council Elder
  • Blackthorn
  • I am the mad dragon, hear me roar!
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2013, 06:19:38 PM »

There is also an advanced list Nim, this link will take you to that.
http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=401.msg10310#msg10310
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

I WAS the 5th rider of the Apocalypse, before they became famous.

Nim

• Meṁber
  • Alder
« Reply #181 on: January 18, 2013, 08:52:47 PM »

Thank You I spent quite a while going thru it the other day. I found several good additions to my ever growing library. Gotta love Nook & Kindle without them I'd never get any help moving!   ;)   LOL
Peace Be With You

dorrie

• Willow
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:05 PM »

I went to the local library yesterday and used every keyword I could think of.

The catalog included a book on Wicca, and one of the books on this list from Buckland as well as some others on similar subjects, but all of these had the same listing "Item Missing"
**suspicious** the ones that were not checked in due to being lost were listed as lost.

Same here so many of the books are missing or lost in our library system, I am thinking kids are removing/stealing them and not returning them

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #183 on: June 26, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »

I went to the local library yesterday and used every keyword I could think of.

The catalog included a book on Wicca, and one of the books on this list from Buckland as well as some others on similar subjects, but all of these had the same listing "Item Missing"
**suspicious** the ones that were not checked in due to being lost were listed as lost.

Same here so many of the books are missing or lost in our library system, I am thinking kids are removing/stealing them and not returning them

You would be correct. :)
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

dorrie

• Willow
« Reply #184 on: June 27, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »

Cunningham's Wicca just didn't do much for me. Not really sure why, but I read the book all the way up to Section III where it started in on the Book of Shadows. It took a supreme effort just to get that far.

I felt exactly the same way-I was bored but pushed on.

Anyone read Phyllis Curot's book? Opinions? 
http://www.amazon.com/Witch-Crafting-Spiritual-Guide-Making/dp/0767908457/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372370335&sr=1-2&keywords=curott+phyllis
I got it at the library a long time ago and remember liking it (of course it is now lost)

I may try that one, Buckland's blue book is on the way as well :)

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #185 on: June 27, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »

I still feel sentimental about Scott Cunningham's books because they were a doorway for many of us several decades ago.  They still move me and I still recommend them, but that's me.

Now Buckland's Big Blue Book never did much for me though I appreciate its historical value in the Craft.  Look out for some mistakes about Craft history though,unless the publisher has corrected that.  I much prefer Deborah Lipp, who is also BTW but explains things much better IMHO.

Now I'm off to re-read Phyllis Curott.......
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Aine

• Willow
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2013, 04:02:47 PM »

I have a small collection of books, Wicca by Cunningham, as well as a few more by him, but recently purchased a book on the spur of the moment type of deal. Haven't read it yet, still reading Wicca, and don't want to skip parts, like I keep trying to do.

But, has anyone read "Celtic: Myth and Magick"  by Edain McCoy?

dorrie

• Willow
« Reply #187 on: June 27, 2013, 04:22:08 PM »

Now Buckland's Big Blue Book never did much for me though I appreciate its historical value in the Craft.  ..

bummer, well everyone has a different likes and dislikes-I can always resell it on amazon if I don't like it

would you recommend me getting Curott?  She has a book of shadows and Witchcrafting-I was thinking of getting Witchcrafting

Thanks!

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #188 on: June 27, 2013, 05:10:42 PM »

Oh, Aine. Ouch.  I have not read that book specifically but McCoy is notorious for being a publisher's hack with tons of really bad, inaccurate info.  She is not well thought of in the Neopagan community.  No offense, you wouldn't believe how much money I forked over to Llewellyn publishing when I was starting out.

Buckland at least is accurate on most things, I just find his style a little dry.  But you could do worse.

Aine

• Willow
« Reply #189 on: June 27, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »

Oh, Aine. Ouch.  I have not read that book specifically but McCoy is notorious for being a publisher's hack with tons of really bad, inaccurate info.  She is not well thought of in the Neopagan community.  No offense, you wouldn't believe how much money I forked over to Llewellyn publishing when I was starting out.

Buckland at least is accurate on most things, I just find his style a little dry.  But you could do worse.

Hmm, it is a small lesson I have had to learn at some point. What drew me to the book is my interest in Celtic Pagan traditions, and her book had a large section on Celtic Deities.

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #190 on: June 27, 2013, 05:29:14 PM »

MM Aine, I don't want to discourage your interest, it's fabulous.  Try RJ Stewart, Caitlin and John Matthews and The Mabinogian by Charlotte Guest, which I think you can download for free. You can't go wrong on Celtic stuff there.  Have fun.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »

Mc Coy has a rep for being a gloryhound and  a few people that I know who have read her says she a joke .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #192 on: June 28, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »

Personally I feel Raymond's "Big Blue Book"  better know as "Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft" to be an amazing reference guide for those new to the path and those who've walked it for years.  The man knows more than many of us will ever have the opportunity to forget.

I use his candle magic books in many of my classes and his altar guides are spot on.

I'm not commenting on any of the other books you have suggested Ashe, your taste is certainly as far from my own as night and day.  Then again I prefer to get my information from experienced practioners who have chosen to write rather than just anyone who can tell a pretty story.

~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #193 on: June 28, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »

Mc Coy stated that she had to self initiate herself because no one else had the ability to , she must know it all .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

dorrie

• Willow
« Reply #194 on: June 28, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »

Personally I feel Raymond's "Big Blue Book"  better know as "Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft" to be an amazing reference guide for those new to the path and those who've walked it for years.  The man knows more than many of us will ever have the opportunity to forget.

I am looking forward to it
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up