Welcome, Guest
December 09, 2018, 11:41:32 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out  (Read 70393 times)

Aine

• Willow
Re: Wiccan Book List - List for those starting out
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2013, 02:35:06 AM »

Personally I feel Raymond's "Big Blue Book"  better know as "Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft" to be an amazing reference guide for those new to the path and those who've walked it for years.  The man knows more than many of us will ever have the opportunity to forget.

I use his candle magic books in many of my classes and his altar guides are spot on.

I'm not commenting on any of the other books you have suggested Ashe, your taste is certainly as far from my own as night and day.  Then again I prefer to get my information from experienced practioners who have chosen to write rather than just anyone who can tell a pretty story.

Thank you, Khara, I believe my boyfriend has told me to try and find this book, been forgetting to stop into a bookshop. Got to finish what I own, though, before I buy more. Besides the Celtic book by McCoy, I bought "Wicca" by Cunningham, as well as "Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs" (If my thumb was any more green, plants would be growing from it, too.) as well as "Earth, Air, Fire, and Water", both by Cunningham. Have you read either of the last two books? Were they informative?

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »

Anyone read Phyllis Curot's book? Opinions? 
I got it at the library a long time ago and remember liking it (of course it is now lost)

I may try that one, Buckland's blue book is on the way as well :)

I gave up on Mme. Curot after reading her books on Italian craft.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2013, 01:44:35 PM »

Damned good to see you my friend.  I hope you are feeling better.  :)
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Myrea

• Willow
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »

I have few of the books on the list, but I find those really good for finding "wicca 101" info. A lot of the other authors I had not heard of before, but after some research online, I found out that those books haven't been translated. So I won't find them in the Dutch section of a book store/library...
Even though my English isn't bad, it does require a small adaptation. I've been thinking about ordering some online. Apart from Cunningham and Buckland, which book(s) from the list would you guys/girls recommend (like, a top 3 of your books)?

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2013, 12:10:58 PM »

Hi Myrea!  I recommend Amber K's True Magick.  She doesn't come up on as many most recommended lists as she should, and her books on CovenCraft and Crafting Ritual are also very, very good.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

Ghostwolf001

• Fir
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2013, 04:01:17 PM »

Does anyone have an opinion on the works by Thuri Calaria.
I've got one of her books on my kindle, but not really sure about continuing with it.
And since I'm already got this going does anybody have any good books/ resources about Hedge Witches & their craft...

IrishEyes

« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »

This has most likely already been offered as a suggestion some where down the thread, but I have found what I look for at www.Amazon.com
Since I am a newbie,there are I am willing to bet books for the more learned and wizened Wiccan out there in esoteric book shops! you know the little hole in the wall book shops with shelves way up high that you have to roll the big ladder along the wall to find what it is you are looking for. My favorite book shops, alas the big chains are devouring the little hole in the wall stores, the mom and pop hang outs for us book worms, I think they only exist in movies now. Anybody know how to find this kind of old fashioned store and would like to share?
Hope this helps someone if it was not already posted.
Irish Eyes

Ashe Isadora

• Hawthorn
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »

I wish.  I know exactly what you mean, those musty old bookstores have their own magic. I've seen them one by one go out of business, even my beloved Acres of Books in Long Beach Ca. 

There is one old magic/book shop that's still around cobwebs and all.  If you get to California try Ancient Ways in Oakland. Dusty, been around forever and they know or knew EVERYONE.  Totally not New Age and totally cool place. Even smells old which I love.
"When I say I'm Wiccan, I don't mean what you THINK I mean."

IrishEyes

« Reply #203 on: December 01, 2013, 01:26:13 PM »

I knew someone should get me and my love for those old, as you so rightly called them "musty" old book shops.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
  • Nightwinds whisper all to me
« Reply #204 on: December 01, 2013, 03:20:53 PM »

One of the easiest ways to find small old book stores is to go to your local library and search through phone books for the town your in or those close by. Don't just look under book store , look for antique store also and call them and ask how long they have been in business and if they have and books on what you are looking for .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

IrishEyes

« Reply #205 on: December 01, 2013, 05:32:42 PM »

You've done it again OG, made me think outside my comfort zone. I am going to search online and then other places. I will keep the community posted. I am at this time interested in healing, be they herbs, spells, magic. I know take it slow and read! read! read! I have found a couple that are practitioners in the Craft and they have agreed to be mentors for me. I get good vibes from them, they are peaceful. They are even looking for books for me on my second sight as of this weekend. They have some good connections they tell me. I have good intentions, so I hope I follow the right path for me.
Thank you again Old ghost.

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2013, 06:22:32 PM »

These should be must have herbal medicine books .  "Secrets of Native American Herbal Remedies  by Anthony Cichoke "  " Culpeper's Complete Herbal Nicolas Culpeper "  " Natural Remedies For Dogs and Cats by C.J. Puotinen "  , other you should look for " Essential Herbal Wisdom by Nancy Arrowsmith "  " Grow it Heal It by Christopher Hobbs "  " The Herbal Medicine Chest by Sujata Bristow "  and herbal books by Holly Bellebuono . :)  It a place to start .
"Everything I know I learned by listening and watching . Nowadays people learn out of books instead . Doctors study what man has learned . I pray to understand what man has forgotten ." Vernon Cooper

IrishEyes

« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »

Cool wrote them all down for study times, thank you again for sharing your hard earned wisdom.
You know a lot!!!!!!

oldghost

• Blackthorn
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »

:) Anytime  :) .

lola.s

• Fir
  • "I can't believe I ate the whole thing!"
    • House of Sharkey
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2013, 12:49:26 PM »

I am currently reading The Philosophy of Wicca, and it is fascinating. It has really turned me on to Wicca as I love to ask questions and learn. I have had some really interesting (friendly) debates with my mum about it. I don't have it to hand so I can't put who the author is but if anyone's interested i'll find out.
x
When your happy from a dream is it hard to work out what is real?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up