Welcome, Guest
September 20, 2018, 07:10:55 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: From the forests to the .. desert?  (Read 3872 times)

Carbon

• Holly
From the forests to the .. desert?
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:53:03 AM »

Well I just found out I have to move.  Being an unemployed college student I'm sort of stuck with moving with the parents across country (given the 2-3 week notice wont allow me to get a job and move out).  I'm moving from Washington (state) to Phoenix, Az.

Now I know that living in a desert does not mean I can't still practice. It just seems like the entire city is.. well .. dead.  I enjoy the green and walking in the woods.  Its apart of who I am now.  The trees that I've become attached to aren't going to be really accessible and the closest thing will be a cactus  :-\.  Rivers and creeks I used to walk along are going to be replace with irrigation canals.

I'm not trying to say that a cactus isn't apart of nature but I've just never felt a spiritual attachment towards them.   Sorry if I seem like I'm overreacting but it just feels like everything will be stripped away when I move.  How do people 'connect' with nature in the desert?  Is there something I'm overlooking that I was unaware of from my previous time in the desert?

Like I said I'm not trying to discredit the desert as being apart of nature but it all seems so ... dead..

Can anyone offer me any insight to perhaps make me look forward to living in the desert for the next few years til I'm done with school and can move out of it?

Hjolmaer

Re: From the forests to the .. desert?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 07:45:19 AM »

You would be amazed at just how much life exists in the desert.

Take walks in the late evening, when the sun is going down and the temperatures are falling.  Or the early morning before it gets hot again.  Many creatures will use these cool times to get out and about.

Treat the cacti just as you would trees.  Or bushes.

Take this as an opportunity to learn something you might not otherwise would have ever learned.

Kypress

• Hawthorn
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:14 AM »

You would be amazed at just how much life exists in the desert.

Take walks in the late evening, when the sun is going down and the temperatures are falling.  Or the early morning before it gets hot again.  Many creatures will use these cool times to get out and about.

Treat the cacti just as you would trees.  Or bushes.

Take this as an opportunity to learn something you might not otherwise would have ever learned.
What he said....
If I don't think about it, yeah, I forget and think that it's dead as well, but there are so many different types of creatures that live in the desert.  Also, keep in mind that you won't have the city lights blocking out the stars at night :D  .... wait, you're from Washington state... Okay, you won't have the trees blocking out the stars  ;)
I may be a Christian, but I'm not going to shove my faith down your throat.  There's a difference between religion and faith, and I'm tired of cults trying to claim they are a religion.
Blogs: 
http://kypressdesigns.blogspot.com   (crafts)
http://lifeofmamah.blogspot.com  (life)

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »

stars at night :D  .... wait, you're from Washington state... Okay, you won't have the trees blocking out the stars  ;)

Clouds :P 300 days of rain a year = me happy :P

And yea i suppose you both are right - I probably shouldn't freak out til i actually move and give it a chance.

Kypress

• Hawthorn
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »

Clouds :P 300 days of rain a year = me happy :P

And yea i suppose you both are right - I probably shouldn't freak out til i actually move and give it a chance.

Exactly.  Give it a month and a half :)
I may be a Christian, but I'm not going to shove my faith down your throat.  There's a difference between religion and faith, and I'm tired of cults trying to claim they are a religion.
Blogs: 
http://kypressdesigns.blogspot.com   (crafts)
http://lifeofmamah.blogspot.com  (life)

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 01:02:18 PM »

I grew up in Tucson, Arizona.  It took me awhile to adjust when we moved to CA and it wasn't even one of the super green areas.  I've visited New Jersey, Washington and Ireland and the amount and sheer force of the green freaked me out.

It is a different kind of beautiful.  Until you experience the power of monsoon season and the AMAZING lightning storms nothing anyone tells you about them will mean much.

The spring in the desert is one of the most precious things that exists.  Everything is blooming.  The beautiful array of rainbow colors against the neutrals of the desert is breathtaking.  It only lasts a very short time which makes it that much more special.

The desert itself is spectacular.  Just give it a fair chance.  It's not all brown.  If you look you will find beauty in the rocks, the gradations of color in the mountains, the skill of the animals and plants that are adapted to the environment.

Moving is hard.  Moving to a totally new environment is harder, but you can and will find what you look for.  It's up to you to decide what to look for.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:57 AM »

I grew up in Tucson, Arizona.  It took me awhile to adjust when we moved to CA and it wasn't even one of the super green areas.  I've visited New Jersey, Washington and Ireland and the amount and sheer force of the green freaked me out.

It is a different kind of beautiful.  Until you experience the power of monsoon season and the AMAZING lightning storms nothing anyone tells you about them will mean much.

The spring in the desert is one of the most precious things that exists.  Everything is blooming.  The beautiful array of rainbow colors against the neutrals of the desert is breathtaking.  It only lasts a very short time which makes it that much more special.

The desert itself is spectacular.  Just give it a fair chance.  It's not all brown.  If you look you will find beauty in the rocks, the gradations of color in the mountains, the skill of the animals and plants that are adapted to the environment.

Moving is hard.  Moving to a totally new environment is harder, but you can and will find what you look for.  It's up to you to decide what to look for.

Well I have lived in phoenix for 8-9 years actually :p But during that time was when I was drifting away from Christianity and more into Agnostic based beliefs.   So while I know exactly what the monsoons are like (they are about the only thing I liked about living there - simply because it was pretty much the only time it ever rained.), I've never really lived there with the current mentality I have.

As for the sheer green freaking you out - I'm the same way about the brown / neutral colors of the desert  ;D  When I first moved there when I was younger it made me depressed because there was no green which is why I was kinda freaking out last night.

I'm somewhat depressed about just thinking about moving back but hopefully it wont be as bad when I get there.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »

I've never really lived there with the current mentality I have.

That will probably make all the difference.  :)  The wheel of the year turns there too, just differently.  Now that you are more aware I'm guessing you will be surprised at how much more you notice.

Attitude makes the difference.  If you are determined it will suck, it probably will.  However if you are determined to find the beauty you can and enjoy it, then odds are that is what will happen.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

claudette

• Willow
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »

I can't imagine living somewhere without green things growing, even if it's only a cedar tree in the winter.  But, I've always heard the desert is an amazingly spiritual place full of mysteries and surprises.  I think there's something mystical and beautiful about the rock formations.
You won't have to live there forever, but please, while you're there, embrace it all.

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »

I can't imagine living somewhere without green things growing, even if it's only a cedar tree in the winter.  But, I've always heard the desert is an amazingly spiritual place full of mysteries and surprises.  I think there's something mystical and beautiful about the rock formations.
You won't have to live there forever, but please, while you're there, embrace it all.

Yea - the big mystery is how on earth does it get so hot in the summer :P

I originally posted this when I was stressing out thinking about it.  Over the past day or so I've done some meditating on the whole subject.  While I'm not looking forward to moving - I am looking forward to discovering a whole different aspect of my beliefs that I've never even remotely considered before.  So it should be interesting.

And yea - I'm not going to be there forever.  I'm getting my degree and moving asap.  Already informed the parents  ;D

MissTree

• Hawthorn
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 11:56:33 PM »

Last year, my friend moved from Oregon to Arizona (job related). For the 1st month he had a hard time adjusting. Lots of complaints in his emails, lol. I noticed though, that after a while he started writing about the beautiful sunsets, the amazing wildlife, and how he'd found a great place to walk every evening after supper.
 In January, when I was complaining to him about the below zero weather & icy roads, he wrote teasing emails about being able to go to the grocery store in his shorts, or grilling out in the backyard for supper.   :-p
Maybe you'll end up liking Arizona too......?

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »

Nope - I'm weird

I LOVE cold weather.  I LOVE rainy miserable gloomy depressing weather.  It makes me happy  ;D

Sunny weather makes me depressed.  As I said above I have lived in phoenix (8-9 years?).  Having blue skies for literally 334 days straight with not a cloud in sight was depressing me.  Then it'd start raining and I was more giddy than a highschool cheerleader only to find out it only rained for 5 minutes and now its not only 120 degrees outside but 80%+ humidity  ::)

I was born and raised in seattle :P  I BBQ in december outside in my shorts while its snowing / raining / whatever.  When I want bbq, the weather is the last thing I think about :p  It's why we have umbrellas after all isnt it? :P

The sunsets in arizona are pretty cool and the star filled skies are just as cool.  It's something I didnt see everyday here.

But honestly who knows lol.  I may just end up liking arizona in the end since I've started to follow a pagan path ^_^  but seattle will always be home :)

Blackmoons Owl

• Evil Elderz
  • Council Elder
  • Apple
  • creating disturbances wherever I land
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 10:28:23 PM »

I spent several days in Phoenix earlier this fall.  I actually love it out there. The cactus are just as beautiful as trees & the green landscape of the wetter climates up north & east.  You are really not that far from some very beautiful areas to the north where it does get colder.  If you need an escape, the Flagstaff area is great since it is a higher elevation & does get a little snow.  The Grand Canyon area is great too but the some of the ancient desert civilizations are amazing to visit.  There is also a wonderful park near Flagstaff that sits on a Volcano & it is quite interesting to visit.

It does get cold in Phoenix in winter.  I know, I have been there a few times in January (out at Ft McDowell) and it has been in the 20's & 30's. 
"Shapes & forms, against the norms, against the run of the mill, swimming against the stream, life in two dimensions is a mass production scheme."  Rush

Keysol

• Ash
  • "Words without thoughts never to heaven go"
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »

I live in Phoenix and you will be surprised at how much life you will find out here. There is actually a lot of farm land here...I drive past cotton, corn, squash, pumpkin, watermelon fields, as well as orange and lemon groves. There is also some grape vineyards as well around here.

I moved here from CA and thought I would be giving up the green I loved so much...but it's still here especially in the winter. We actually get a lot of rain (well, not in comparison to other places, but more then you would think) during the winter months and hopefully blessed with some fierce storms at the end of summer during the monsoon season. I actually love monsoon season, the storms are so powerful..but it's so warm outside you can just stand out there and get soaked. The lightning and thunder...the fierce wind and the rain seems to contradict the warm air. I have to say, it's my favorite time of the year.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised...just keep your mind opened to what the Universe brings to you. :)
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." Swami Vivekananda

blessed of coyote

• Cypress
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 09:29:41 PM »

Coyote says that deserts are much elemental. There is less background 'noise'.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up