Welcome, Guest
August 24, 2019, 10:16:51 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wiccan Girlfriend ...Help?  (Read 13421 times)

Hjolmaer

Re: Wiccan Girlfriend ...Help?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »

It's not going to turn into a hate-fest at all.  Don't get too defensive too quickly.  Not everyone tries to come across as non-confrontational.

C_A makes a valid point, though.  You're best bet, to do this at your own pace, is going to be to go through the various stickied threads and find the information you seek.  The search function (another sticky for that one somewhere...) is also you're best friend.  Any information you find on this site, or linked to here, is considered valid.

Bring questions on your research to us and we'll clarify as best we can.

Michelle

• Cypress
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 08:16:31 PM »

I agree with Hjolmaer on that. Give the people here a chance. They are really trying to answer your questions honestly. This is not a "hate-fest" as you put it, and it certainly is not heated (you should see some of the other posts I've read).

I once said that (according to my understanding of wicca) if you put two wiccans in the same room and had them discuss wicca, they'd most likely disagree so much on so many issues they'd come to blows.

What do you know. A lot of people agreed.

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2010, 08:17:02 PM »

*looks for the mild hate fest*  ???  I'd say we are being pretty civil in this thread  ::)

I'm not sure what you want us to say?   Ask questions and you'll probably get answers.  You've come here 'seeking guidance' - we offer you reading material and you say you've read it.  

What exactly do you want to know?  Have you read through the stickies?

http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=89.0 theres some internet reading for you.

http://wicca.com/forums/index.php?topic=400.0 theres a book list for you.

Seeking guidance without asking questions is like walking into a mechanic shop and saying "tell me how to fix a car".  

DaNerdling

• Elm
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2010, 08:20:13 PM »

@Hjolmaer  That's a good idea. I think I'll re-read Scott's book and jot down any points that need clarification and bring them back here.

Thanks for the help guys, any further input would be great, but I think I found the jist of what I came for.

Now I'm going to sign off in the way that I've seen my girlfriend do before, I don't know if it is appropriate as I am not Wiccan, but I'll give it a try anyways. Thanks again

Blessed be,

Jamie

Hjolmaer

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »

@Hjolmaer  That's a good idea. I think I'll re-read Scott's book and jot down any points that need clarification and bring them back here.

Thanks for the help guys, any further input would be great, but I think I found the jist of what I came for.

Now I'm going to sign off in the way that I've seen my girlfriend do before, I don't know if it is appropriate as I am not Wiccan, but I'll give it a try anyways. Thanks again

Blessed be,

Jamie

Didn't you say she had never posted?  What's her handle?

Or the girlfriend is free to chime in.....

rainman657

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »

I wasn't aware this would get that heated.

Here's the thing: I have done a lot of research, but you gotta remember, I have ZERO background on the subject and have only been farmilliar with it due to her. So the amount I do know I'd say is decent.

And yes, I did mean Scott Cunningham, I realized my mistake after I posted. His writings seem to be fairly basic and easy to understand for beginners, but the reason I came here is so I can learn how to USE what's in that book.

Ugh, look, I'll say this straight up: I know hardly anything on the subject, I've read the book, and heard tid bits from her, and frankly, my retention skills are less than average. But I thought that I could seek guidance from other Wiccans on the subject. But if it's going to turn into a mild hate fest, you can lock the topic right now.

It sounds to me that all you need is a simple soul search, allow your mind to open, and keep doing the work as far as research goes, then u should be able to decide what u need to.

Nura

• Oak
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »

Ok, I am not Wiccan (as of now) I am just looking into it because it has always interested me. I am just going to say this; You had to of expected some heated conversation after you come to a WICCAN board and say that you don't agree with the beliefs and practices.  :-\ Just my opinion
I wasn't aware this would get that heated.

Here's the thing: I have done a lot of research, but you gotta remember, I have ZERO background on the subject and have only been farmilliar with it due to her. So the amount I do know I'd say is decent.

And yes, I did mean Scott Cunningham, I realized my mistake after I posted. His writings seem to be fairly basic and easy to understand for beginners, but the reason I came here is so I can learn how to USE what's in that book.

Ugh, look, I'll say this straight up: I know hardly anything on the subject, I've read the book, and heard tid bits from her, and frankly, my retention skills are less than average. But I thought that I could seek guidance from other Wiccans on the subject. But if it's going to turn into a mild hate fest, you can lock the topic right now.
Ok, I am not Wiccan (as of now, I am just looking into it because it has always interested me). I am just going to say this; You had to of expected some heated conversation after you come to a WICCAN board, and say that you don't agree with the beliefs and practices.  :-\ Just my opinion

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2010, 03:56:27 AM »

Heated?  Dude, this is NOT "heated"! 

Here's the thing....EVERYTHING you brought up is IN THAT BOOK.

If you had specific issues with something on the order of a deeper explanation, okay, no trouble at all!  That's what this board is for.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Serpentium

• Walnut
  • Are the machines ready yet, Mr Tesla?
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

Ok, I am not Wiccan (as of now) I am just looking into it because it has always interested me. I am just going to say this; You had to of expected some heated conversation after you come to a WICCAN board and say that you don't agree with the beliefs and practices.  :-\ Just my opinionOk, I am not Wiccan (as of now, I am just looking into it because it has always interested me). I am just going to say this; You had to of expected some heated conversation after you come to a WICCAN board, and say that you don't agree with the beliefs and practices.  :-\ Just my opinion
That's not a given though. I'm certainly not Wiccan, and disagree with much of Wicca's tenets and practices. I don't mind saying so either, on the boards, or IRL. Even if that sometimes involves a bit of mockery. (Nothing should be so 'sacred' that it is above mockery). But someones Religion, is just what they believe, not who they are. And there's some OK people here, and I like posting here a great deal.  If they can tolerate me, the least I can do, is stick around, and take the piss out of their beliefs is treat them with the same level of tolerance that they've afforded me.. And yes, I have been involved in some 'heated' discussions in here, from time to time. (But this one isn't even warm) As a rough guide, (Like a Canary in a Mineshaft) things are heated, when C_A Capslocks whole sentences, or even posts, not just the occasional word. At the moment, on the C_A scale, this rates as "Lukewarm".
Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

My next victim . . .  http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506

LynzyMiller

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »

Hi all!

I know i'm slow on joining the thread, but i'm also pretty new to the forum. I'm just trying to jump in where I can.

Where to start... As someone new to the wiccan ways, it can be a little overwhelming. The altars, the rituals, the spells, etc. But, like someone pointed out already, (sorry i don't remember who, but props to you.) If you really look at other religions you will notice that they have all these things too. But you are probably used to it, because you grew up around it. Catholics have their alters, their statues of patron saints (i'm not up on catholic jargon, so bare with me on that. heh)
Communion? a ritual... you drink the blood of christ... metaphorically. You have your tools, the chalice and all that...
Baptists/Methodists/Lutherans all chant. and these are simply affirmations.
even the holidays are incredibly more pagan than you may realize.
I have my own struggle with some of these things... which is why I have actually started "practicing the craft." However, I had problems with these things even when I was in Christianity.

anyway, sorry i kind of went off on a tangent.... my point really was just to say you should look deeper into the symbolism of these things, and see where else they have been used, this way... you'll find a familiarity you probably didn't expect.

Blessed be,
Lynzy

PS: I'll try not to be so long winded next time.  ;)

Nura

• Oak
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 08:50:38 PM »

Yea but Serp you actually post stuff that is informative every once in a while. Also you are not completely against the religion. and you don't seem to look down upon it.

rainman657

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 09:48:03 PM »

That's not a given though. I'm certainly not Wiccan, and disagree with much of Wicca's tenets and practices. I don't mind saying so either, on the boards, or IRL. Even if that sometimes involves a bit of mockery. (Nothing should be so 'sacred' that it is above mockery). But someones Religion, is just what they believe, not who they are. And there's some OK people here, and I like posting here a great deal.  If they can tolerate me, the least I can do, is stick around, and take the piss out of their beliefs is treat them with the same level of tolerance that they've afforded me...

I won't say I hate to disagree with your saying that it isn't a given that mockery may be taken offensively, but i do. First things first if you were to go anywhere and mock that persons beliefs you should expect some kind of heated response. Look, I don't know what you believe and I don't really care. If you do the research into Wicca, at least enough to know what you need to, to be able to know what  you are mocking, you will find that Wicca, is not just a religion, but a way of life. Wicca isn't like some European religions, in that it is just what you believe. I would say that Wicca, is more like Buddism, a way of life, something that can not just be turned on or off.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good argument, but an intellectual one. REMEMBER it is fact that among Americans the two things that will get the conversation heated is bringing up or mocking ones, religious, or political beliefs.

I admit that I am surprised that this topic seemed to get as heated as it did, since it seemed to start by a guy who didn't understand how to talk to his girlfriend or to research his questions online, all he needed was a direction to be pointed in.

Nura

• Oak
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »

::) This topic is really not heated. I have seen a lot more heated discussions on this board. The discordianism board for example

rainman657

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2010, 09:55:47 PM »

::) This topic is really not heated. I have seen a lot more heated discussions on this board. The discordianism board for example

So have I.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2010, 09:56:09 PM »

I admit that I am surprised that this topic seemed to get as heated as it did, since it seemed to start by a guy who didn't understand how to talk to his girlfriend or to research his questions online, all he needed was a direction to be pointed in.

Which he was, by multiple people. :)

And if you think this conversation is heated, then Antarctica is toasty vacation place!  LOL  Two items that prove it is not particularly heated (unrelated to the C_A scale previously mentioned ;) ):  

1.  No one has directly insulted anyone or anyone's lineage, even in jest or accidentally.

2.  No mod has had to jump in and ask people to behave themselves out of fear of the thread devolving into a huge hate fest that might scare off any potential new members...
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up