Welcome, Guest
July 20, 2019, 02:38:38 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Are rituals neccessary?  (Read 12561 times)

ejfinch

Re: Are rituals neccessary?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 07:34:37 AM »

Surprisingly, I completely agree with C_A and DM on this one. Which is exactly why I made the move to Traditional Craft. I agree that, if you are going to identify as Wiccan, you should be following the tenets. There is no reason to continue to refer one's self as Wiccan when there are many other paths out there to chose from. I also agree that it must be very confusing for those new to the forum AND the path. Too many mixed messages. However, thankfully, the forum allows for discussion of many different paths, thereby presenting some alternatives.
Elizabeth

Michelle

• Cypress
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 06:55:47 PM »

^^^ What she said ^^^

Pterodactyl Handler

• Ash
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »

Religion has a tricky way of hijacking mankind's moral circuitry. This "fourth circuit" influences our behavior by understanding actions in terms of whether or not they are normal, immoral, and culturally acceptable.

One of the lines of code in the wiccan programming is this predilection towards ritual. This packet of information is designed to help people orient onto a wiccan identity. It does this by providing common experiences and excuses for group activity. You can see it here in this thread with people insisting that a good wiccan SHOULD do ritual.

But ultimately this packet of information is not designed for the wellbeing of the individual, it's designed for the wellbeing of the wiccan community.

There is no reason that you should feel compelled to act like a "good wiccan" or buy into all the traditional trappings of that religion. There is no need to feel any guilt about not not falling in lockstep with other people's interpretation of that religion. You should do whatever gives you a sense of wellbeing and self-actualization.

blue

• Birch
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »

One of the lines of code in the wiccan programming is this predilection towards ritual. This packet of information is designed to help people orient onto a wiccan identity. It does this by providing common experiences and excuses for group activity. You can see it here in this thread with people insisting that a good wiccan SHOULD do ritual.

When i look at ritual ... or more accurately a practice of the craft i see so much more than that.

Indeed ... some ritual is used for building a group bond but there are other aspects to it.

I can't remember exactly who it was but a Mafia Don once made the observation that young men need ritual in their lives because it provides consistency. I would say that it's much broader than that. Many people from all walks of life cherish that consistency. You might say that they're creatures of habit.

When people speak of the opening ceremonies in a Catholic mass i can't help but think that it helps to clear everyone's minds, settle them down, and get them in the right headspace for what is to follow.

Have you ever had an experience which changed you on a fundamental level ?  I think back to all of the ceremony surrounding my High School graduation and how i walked away with the realisation that it was a pivotal event after which things would never again be the same.

Rituals mark the turning points in our lives where a rubicon has been made. ( Marriage? Dedication? )

Rituals as " engineered experiences " to learn from teach even the most headstrong and proud student easily because they bypass the conscious mind (ego) and operate on a sub conscious level. If someone wanted to teach the basic concepts (or tenets) of a religion this might be the most efficient way of doing it. It would also be good for planting the seeds of a broader understanding to come later on.

< shrugs > It just seems to me that there's more to ritual than simply messing with somebody's head for selfish gain, group gain, or manipulation for a sinister purpose.

Khara

• Birch
  • Mother~Sister~Witch
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »

In Wicca, in almost every variation, yes rituals are a regular necessary occurance.

Not so much on other Pagan paths.

I'm just your average witch.  When I go all out with a full circle, candle, chalice, wine incense, elemental and the whole shebang, it's serious.
~*~ Iris for wisdom, bluebell for truth, juniper for protection, lemon for youth, eucalyptus for healing, plumeria for love, marigold to divine messages from the Goddess above. A spell that is simple, fragrant and sweet, and will open the hearts of those that you meet! ~*~

Michelle

• Cypress
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »

And it doesn't mean you are being A "good wiccan". Rituals are performed by non-wiccan as well. I imagine a ritual (should on be required) should be just what feels right for the work at hand.

I'm sure I'll be set straight on that if I've missed the point.

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »

Actually I think you are getting the idea.  :)
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

blue

• Birch
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »

I haven't studied the Wiccan Sabbats & Esbats but from what little i do know some of them seem to correspond to a change in the seasons. My impression from reading the Wiccan ardanes was that the early Wiccans were probably closely tied to the land. Maybe some of them were farmers ?

I was in another forum recently and a discussion came up about what everybody was doing to get ready for winter. Many of us were busy harvesting the garden, canning, filling the pantry & freezer, doing last minute home repairs, laying in fuel supplies, paying the bills ahead etc.  Other folks really weren't doing anything and they really couldn't relate.

When you live close to the land and live by the season the solstices have a profound effect on your life.

They certainly are worthy of celebration.

A few years ago i saw part of a Wiccan celebration ritual of the summer solstice on TV.  Something really stuck with me. To parphrase ... the high priestess said that summer has come and the living is easy but always be mindful that winter is not all that far off. Work diligently to put up for the time when the cold maker comes.

That probably doesn't mean much to somebody that works a regular 9 to 5 in an office with a steady year round job but it would be an excellent reminder to someone so closely tied to the land.

It's like the parable of the grasshopper and the ant.  :)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »

It's like the parable of the grasshopper and the ant.  :)

It is PRECISELY the parable of the grasshopper and the ant. 

We live "closer to the land" than MANY of the people in our circle of friends.

It's a little bit less convenient, at times, but MUCH more fulfilling.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

blue moon

• Birch
  • momentarily mourning the loss of idiocy
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:33 AM »

<3

blue

• Birch
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »

It is PRECISELY the parable of the grasshopper and the ant. 

We live "closer to the land" than MANY of the people in our circle of friends.

It's a little bit less convenient, at times, but MUCH more fulfilling.

It's a way of life that means so much to me that i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 07:45:47 AM »

It's a way of life that means so much to me that i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Ayuh!
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Michelle

• Cypress
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »

If it feel good and it feels right, then it is good and right, for the person doing the said ritual regardless of how the ritual is performed. Is that about right? (no pun intended)

ejfinch

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 08:11:17 PM »

If it feel good and it feels right, then it is good and right, for the person doing the said ritual regardless of how the ritual is performed. Is that about right? (no pun intended)

I, absolutely, agree with this. Though, I realize there are many here that will beg to differ. It really depends on what path you decide is for you.  :)

Hjolmaer

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 08:25:19 PM »

This is right.

The place people get hung up on is in the labels previously discussed in various threads.

Someone wants to call themselves Wiccan, but they don't follow Wiccan dogma/tenets/etc.  They aren't Wiccan, because they aren't following the religion.

Someone doesn't call what they do Ceremonial Magic, but what they do is, for all intents and purposes, Ceremonial Magic. 

If you're going to insist on a label, just make sure it's the right one.

protip: paganism covers a lot.  Witch covers a lot.  "Me" covers everything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up