Welcome, Guest
October 22, 2019, 01:22:38 AM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Are rituals neccessary?  (Read 13157 times)

Michelle

• Cypress
Re: Are rituals neccessary?
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »

Hahaha. I'm beiggining to understand. It's not all that hard really, I was just getting stuck on the details.

Thanks guys  :-*

adamlee

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »

Honestly, some of these rituals sound fun. But i dont buy into them, and thats part of why i dont consider myself to be wiccan. However, I believe that it probably helps some people to manipulate their energy, and if thats what they need, then...So be it. :) My rituals are quite similar to yours. I live in a very beautiful city on the lake, i dont have fancy lakefront property but i have the little shack on the other side of the street. Easy access to plenty of beautiful surroundings to "worship". I especially like looking at the moon at night when clouds are rolling past it.. :)

For some reason some people seem to think that being pagan and wiccan are the same thing. I told a friend i was pagan now, she said, "you mean a wiccan?".... i just rolled my eyes. LOL.

Firesong

• Council Elder
  • Walnut
  • Laughin' at the Angels, laughin' at you;
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »

Think about it; what separates a Catholic from a Baptist?  Ritual and practice.  A Baptist would never call themselves a solitary Catholic, nor would a Catholic call themselves an evangelical Catholic.  They are both, however, Christians. 

There are rituals that are directly associated with Wicca, such as the Great Rite, and the Sabbats, and traditional ways to perform them just as there are rituals associated with Catholicism, such as High Mass, and Baptist, such as baptism, and both follow a form of communion, but the format is much different.

If you just do what feels right, you're probably not a traditional Wiccan, regardless of what you call yourself.  That, however, doesn't make you any less a witch, or Pagan, depending on your practice... it's one of the reasons that many Wiccan fundamentalists get downright cranky when some fluffy bunny drops in and starts adding "Blessed Be" to the end of their correspondences along with "Merry Meet" at the beginning, and suddenly, they're Wiccan...  not quite. 

Most fluffys don't even know what "Blessed Be" means or where it comes from...

But that's must my opinion...
"Every thug deserves a slug..."
~Anonymous

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 05:51:37 PM »

Most fluffys don't even know what "Blessed Be" means or where it comes from...

Oddly enough in all the researching I've done I've never found where it comes from myself or maybe I did and my brain just didn't save that bit of info.  So where DOES it come from?
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »

It comes from the five-fold kiss.
How soon IS now and who IS John Galt?

Wyldkat

• On sabbatical from admin duties
  • Elder On Leave
  • Spruce
  • Don't feed the llamas!
    • Wyldkat's Pagan Place
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »

I knew it was in there, not that that was the origin.  Interesting.
Please click to read my Examiner articles on paganism:  http://www.examiner.com/paganism-6-in-san-jose/tina-mulhall

"Question not only reality and authority, but yourself, repeatedly and with vigor." Lupa (from Witches and Pagans)

Kim Shelton

• Cypress
  • Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again!
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »

I'm glad that you have find the "path" that you seek.  As for me, I am still in the learning status,  like every one else on this forum, I am assuming.  I can relate to Wicca and their practices so far, yet as for ritual, I am beginins to  understand that it is not the ritual that makes us attuned to the goddess and the god, but being one withe the Goddess.

Kim 8)
"The only thing we have to fear is...fear itself"
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »

...understand that it is not the ritual that makes us attuned to the goddess and the god, but being one withe the Goddess.

But, Kim....Ritual IS important to being attuned to the Divine...

ejfinch

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 07:05:33 PM »

Summation:

Q: Are rituals necessary?

A: If you want to be a really-real Wiccan, then yes. If you want to be a fake Wiccan, then no. If you want to explore other paths, then it depends on the path.

Very succinct! I like that!

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 11:06:46 PM »

Summation:

Q: Are rituals necessary?

A: If you want to be a Wiccan, then yes. If you want to be pagan, then no. If you want to explore other paths, then it depends on the path.

fixed? :P

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 12:49:57 PM »

rituals in the religious sense :P

thehallwayceiling

• Oak
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 06:05:25 AM »

Personally, I don't see why any "Wiccan" would NOT want to practice ritualism. It is the most central part of my religion. A time to be with the Gods, to worship them in a way that is fitting. If there is no ritual for the Gods, where is the offering? And if there is no offering, how does one expect anything from the Gods?

"Belief" and curiosity are what drew me to Wicca, but ritual is what made me stay. You can "believe" all you want, but, in my opinion, the core of Wicca is lost until you EXPERIENCE Divinity. And we meet the Gods in the circle.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why one earth should that mean it is not real?" Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

shadetree

• Cypress
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »

ritual is used to gain focus or in some aspects comfort.if you can can reach this plane without thn ritual norm, mor power to you! I personally sway with how the mood strikes me at the time from elaborate to just a nod and smile as our days unfold

A Hag

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »

I don't need a ritual to be close to the gods they are around me all the time I don't need a ritual because as I focus on my daily needs wants and suplications the tend to then be drawn to my wanting and the fact that I am tuning into dialect with them. Ritual creates greater focus and bearing on the above but is in my mind not completely necessary.

C_A

• FIDEI DEFENSOR
  • Council Elder
  • Magnolia
  • JERSEY TRUE
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 02:39:57 PM »

ritual is used to gain focus or in some aspects comfort.if you can can reach this plane without thn ritual norm, mor power to you! I personally sway with how the mood strikes me at the time from elaborate to just a nod and smile as our days unfold

Okay, BUT...

NOT doing your rituals can be equated to "missing Mass on Sunday" from a Catholic perspective.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up