Welcome, Guest
August 17, 2018, 07:13:58 PM
News: Visit our Store for Pagan Books, Wiccan Jewelry and Magical Supplies! http://wicca.com/stores/entrance.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Help for a lost newbie ? :)  (Read 3524 times)

Suvi

• Alder
Help for a lost newbie ? :)
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »

I am new to this forum, I have however spent alot of time reading and trying to learn.. But first I will share a bit of my back story..

I was not raised religous, some of my extended family are jw's... but the mainstream religions have never appealed to me. I have always been a very outdoors person, growing up most of my childhood was spent in the wilderness watching birds, hiking playing in the creeks or swimming in the lakes - I always felt very at peace - I try and go backpacking for a week every year to gather my thoughts and escape reality.. recently I have gone through a very hard time with a significant person in my life leaving and maybe coming back and leaving and maybe coming back..etc for 6 months this went on... I started to need something to help me focus.. to 'empower' myself and re-realize how strong i am and that i do not need this individual in my life...a friend came out for a visit one night and casually mentioned that she was wicca, i was intrigued and started to read and the more i read the more it made sense and the more i really felt like that void was begining to fill...and after this i met someone new (still very new haha we are talking days..) but i put credit to my readings and meditation and reconnection with myself that this allowed me to be open enough to allow someone new in.. and I really would like to keep this up and learn more about it..

But beyond the very basics... im not sure where to go from here...from what i have read i feel i would fall into the pagan stream...I want to know more but feel i am running in circles. I was hoping someone could give me a quick 'idiots guide to' I have checked at the local library but have not had any luck finding books.. and at the moment cannot afford to purchas any, so any help & guidance would be more than appreciated..

Thank you in advance...

Hjolmaer

Re: Help for a lost newbie ? :)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 04:32:18 PM »

the very basics...

Please define.

In case you hadn't noticed in reading around the boards, expect questions in response to questions.

It helps us help you.  Trust me.

Suvi

• Alder
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »

My knowledge is very... scattered and questionable.. From what I have read wiccans have more rituals and abit more guided path...(maybe?) and Pagan seems to be a bit more loose.. I have read about meditation and techniques and have tried them and found them to be succesful, adding my own twists. I have read about a book of shadows but.. still a bit lost there..

I use the term basics very very loosely... from what i know both paths are nature driven and this is what appeals to me.

ejfinch

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »

Have you done much digging around this forum? You can probably pick up quite a bit by using the search function, reading through old threads/discussions. H is right (he usually is), more specific questions would make it a lot easier to answer. Wicca is a specific path, there are many others that fall under the "Pagan" umbrella. Read as much as you can on this forum, there are also a lot of resources online, in general, if purchasing books is a problem at the moment. Keep in mind, Wicca is a religion-not just a spiritual path-that involves specific rituals, beliefs, etc. Then there are many other paths, many of them nature-centric, that are spiritual for some, but not dogmatic. What are your current feelings/beliefs on Deity? Are you interested in something structured, or something that allows you to incorporate what you feel comfortable with? Just a few questions to try to kick-start your search.  :)
Elizabeth

Hjolmaer

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »

As EJ said, Wicca is a structured religion.  Many that fall under the umbrella term "pagan" are.  However, "eclectic paganism" (I believe is the proper term) is pagan spiritual beliefs without inherent structure like Wicca has.   

Let's use EJ's questions and build off them.

What are your current feelings/beliefs/views on Deity?

Do you want a structured path (one in which you have set rituals and observances/practices) or do you want to be able to "wing it" (perform rituals as you see fit, observations/practices incorporated as you see fit)?

What does your personal moral code involve?

What are you current views on the Rede?

The Three-fold Law?

I'll stop there for now.

Suvi

• Alder
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:08:06 PM »

I have done some digging but seem to come out more confused than when i went in.. now to try and answer your questions..

deity.. not sure what my feelings are cause im unsure what you mean

I am not looking for anything really structured, I am just looking for a bit of guidance...

Rede?

Three fold is something ive always believed in, maybe no in the defined terms but "what goes around comes around" and karma

These questions have made me realize maybe i need to dig a bit farther, i will try the search again but as i do any further help is always appreciated :)

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

I have done some digging but seem to come out more confused than when i went in.. now to try and answer your questions..

deity.. not sure what my feelings are cause im unsure what you mean

I am not looking for anything really structured, I am just looking for a bit of guidance...

Rede?

Three fold is something ive always believed in, maybe no in the defined terms but "what goes around comes around" and karma

These questions have made me realize maybe i need to dig a bit farther, i will try the search again but as i do any further help is always appreciated :)

Deity:  Do you believe in a Higher Power/Creative Force/God/Goddess??  If so, which one/ones??

Rede: The Wiccan Rede.  The Code of Ethics and Rules of the Wiccan Religion.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
"Here, but now I'm gone."

Suvi

• Alder
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 08:47:18 PM »

Thanks for the straight forward answers! :)

Deity.. i guess im still not sure on my answer to this one, as i had said i was not raised religous... i do not believe in a 'god' in the sense of a man with a white beard.. but i cant help but feel there is something much bigger than ..people..

I will have to look up the Rede because, oddly, i did not come across it in my searches...

Earthbound Spirit

• Council Elder
  • Maple
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »

I will have to look up the Rede because, oddly, i did not come across it in my searches...

"If it harms none, do what you will."

http://www.waningmoon.com/ethics/rede.shtml
"Oh Well...Whatever...Nevermind"  Kurt Cobain

"Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you" - Kurt Cobain

Snake-Man

• Walnut
  • What fresh Hell is this??
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 09:58:04 PM »

Thanks for the straight forward answers! :)

Deity.. i guess im still not sure on my answer to this one, as i had said i was not raised religous... i do not believe in a 'god' in the sense of a man with a white beard.. but i cant help but feel there is something much bigger than ..people..

Jerry Garcia??   ;D
"Here, but now I'm gone."

Suvi

• Alder
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:46:38 PM »

lol!

Hjolmaer

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 04:08:47 AM »

I'll offer you a fair warning, though:

The Wiccan Rede has deeper meaning than it's simple wording would suggest.

There've been a couple good threads about it on here.  Search Function is your friend.

So you're looking more for guidance than structure?  Guidance can be found here if you're willing.  And from within, if you're willing to listen.

Seeking Spirit

• Willow
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 07:19:21 AM »

Hi Suvi,
  Welcome to the site, like you I came here because I wasn't sure what path worked for me.  My family was/is Catholic but never very strict about it. So when I felt a spiritual "pull" I turned to the church but I felt nothing.  When I was out in nature I felt connected, uplifted, all the things I thought I had to get from the church.  That's what started me searching, I still haven't decided on one certain path, and I may never.  Just the simple act of learning and searching has been so fulfilling that In itself I may have found my path.   I'm sorry, I don't know if that made sense but I can't think of a better way to put it.  Maybe it's like (H) was saying... Eclectic Paganism?  I don't know and I got off topic (I do that :-p) but what I'm trying to say is, sometimes finding your way is the best part.  So good luck, there is a lot of great information on this site and  a lot of people who love to help out.  Oh and about not being able to afford books, try a store like Barnes&Nobles.  Grab a cup of coffee, grab a book, and read until they close and kick you out!  I hope this helps.
                                       -SS- 

Carbon

• Holly
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 01:38:33 PM »

I have done some digging but seem to come out more confused than when i went in

It's normal :)

It's usually expected that for every question you answer brings up 2+ additional questions.  And thus - most pagans are always searching for new knowledge and continuously learning :)

Suvi

• Alder
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

H - I am looking for guidance more than structure.. to be blunt im not even sure what im looking for.. i just feel drawn to learn and want to be able to stay true to myself... I realise now that my comment of 'a guy in a white beard' may have been quite offensive...my appologies.. i did not intend it that way..

SS- you made perfect sense to me.. it is a journey and one I am enjoying.. unfortunetly my smal town has no book stores, lol, that is one of the reasons i have turned to the internet... :)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up